PlayStation 4 preview
The PlayStation 4 launches in the UK on 29th November, and ahead of its release, we've got our hands on a prototype to take a look at the final build model that will be hitting the shelves in just a few weeks.
Take a look at the video above to get a first look at the next-gen console and read up on some of the key specs and information below.
- Single chip x86-64 AMD Jaguar 8-core processor
- AMD Radeon graphics engine
- 8GB RAM
- 500GB built-in hard drive and physical optical drive that will support Blu-ray and DVD.
- Connectivity: Built-in wi-fi b/g/n, ethernet port, 1 x HDMI out, 1 x aux out, 1 x optical digital out, 2 x USB 3.0, Bluetooth 2.1
DualShock 4 controller
- Updated design with a new capacitive touch panel at the top for new ways of interacting with games
- New and improved six-axis sensor for better motion controls
- Start and select buttons are combined into a new "Options" button
- "Share" button will allow you to share gameplay footage and screenshots with friends online
- 3.5mm jack for using bundled mono headset, or alternatively there's a built in speaker in the controller too.
- Light bar for easier identification when playing multiplayer games, plus may also be used to convey game information, like when you're low on health.
- Won't be backwards compatible with PS3 discs, but older games may be able to be streamed in the future.
- Downloading games from the PlayStation Store will be a large part of its charm - you'll even be able to start playing a game before it's finished downloading.
- Currently 140 games in development for PS4, with 100 promised in the first year.
- Expect exclusive PS4 titles like Drive Club, Killzone Shadow Fall and Knack to be available at launch, with plenty more from the big name developers due on 2014.
HANDS ON: PlayStation 4 review
by Verity Burns