Here we go again, yet again the quoted technical specification does not come close to reality.
Apparently it has no audio outputs, pretty useless for an audio device!!!!!!
Apparently it doesn't support AAC and yet the review specifically mentions it does.
Meanwhile over in the Media servers section it's impossible to find a partnering NAS because none of them have supported audio formats!!!!!!
Perhaps leave NAS drives to computer mags who understand these things eh?
KevH, the tech specs were correctly entered into our CMS but not displaying properly on the live site. I've now done some back-end tweaking and it should be corrected.
Some QQs to determine if this is Hifi hero or Hifi Zero
1. Does it do gapless playback?
2. Does it play albums in the right order
3. How long does it take from power up to music heaven:
a. How long for the device to boot
b. How long for it to find network devices and how many goes does it take
(Apple aiplay we are looking at you)
c. How long does it take to discovery your music (once set up) (for large libs)
4. Does the app sort by Artist / Album / Song / etc.
5. Does it support playlists
And one more for me
6. How does the quality of vTune compare to iPlayer
1. Yes2. Yes3. a It starts up in less than a minute from cold, but is designed to be left in standby once powered up. To my ears the sound improved over the first week or two of use, but an hour or two of use from factory-fresh knocked off the initial rough edge b Almost instantaneously, and just the one c Well, provided the DLNA/UPnP software on the device storing the music has already indexed it, a matter of seconds. My library, which runs to some 46,000 tracks in almost 1300 folders, takes less than a minute to load4. Yes5. Yes, using the latest version of the app6. Comparing iPlayer running on my MacBook Pro via an Audioquest DragonFly with the NDX, the Naim sounds better to my ears. As indeed does the ND5 XS.
Thanks for the quick reply Andy, good to know. I've lost count of the number of these types of devices I've seen that fail on the basics.
This unit performance is very good. But i beleive it is overrated. First of allits performance is far away from a decent hig end cd player(wadia, krell, ear, audio reşearch), second of all, it is still a Naim sound which some of you may like. But i totally agree that it is one of the best performer in streamer category. İf you are building up a system you should really consider an audition.
Login or register to post comments
There’s a lot to like about the Eole 3, but its lean bass will doubtless be an issue for some
A system with stacks of detail, but its laid-back nature loses too much excitement for our liking
The Note 8.0 might have been a great tablet once, but now it looks outclassed and outdated
© 2013 Haymarket Publishing