Thinking of buying a new flatscreen TV? Or trying to make sense of the Blu-ray vs HD DVD format war? Then you need the new Ultimate Guide to Home Cinema, on sale from this Thursday, Sept 6.
It's packed with more than 250 expert verdicts on all the latest home cinema technology, including plasma and LCD TVs, DVD players and recorders, high-definition Blu-ray and HD DVD players, projectors, AV amps and receivers and some of the cutest home-cinema-in-a-box systems we've ever seen.
Just to whet your appetite, here are a few of the highlights in this issue:
- Exclusive reviews: we're the first to test Denon's new range of AV amps and receivers, from the £350 AVR-1708 to the mighty £2000 AVR-4308. Oh, and we've got new budget DVD players from Philips and Denon too.
- Revealed: the best TV in the world – plus our verdict on brand-new flatscreens from Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Sony, Samsung and Toshiba.
- HD DVD vs Blu-ray: the truth about every new player on the market, including hot new models from Sony, Pioneer and Toshiba. And we put the upgraded PS3 through its paces – the result may surprise you.
- Next-gen HDD and DVD recorders, plus Freeview PVRs that allow you to pause and rewind live TV. Never miss your favourite TV show again.
- Best Buy projectors: how to get the real big-screen experience for less than an LCD or plasma. Projector prices just keep on tumbling, as you'll discover if you click here.
- 5 easy steps to HDTV: our step-by-step guide to building a complete high-definition system, for the ultimate TV and video experience.
- Seriously sexy one-box systems: home cinema doesn't have to be complicated, or bulky, as hot new contenders from Arcam, Samsung and Sony prove. Sony's diminutive DAV-IS10 delivers awesome sound from speakers barely bigger than a two pound coin.
- Speakers with a dash of style: good-looking surround speaker systems that not only look great, but sound great too. See, you can have designer looks and class-beating performance...
- Temptations: the world's most desirable kit, including Classé's high-end DVD player, processor and power amp, plus Panasonic's flagship 103in plasma – yours for a mere £50,000!
Plus there's the usual mix of news and expert advice, and our unique Buyer's Guide, featuring ratings on more than 1000 products at every price. Why not click here to subscribe to What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision – and sign up to our Forums to chat with other readers about anything to do with hi-fi or home cinema?