15 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 04/09/2013 - 14:19
Posts: 51595
Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

sony stuff

Andrew Everard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 30/05/2007 - 12:34
Posts: 28837
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

The obvious contender must be the Q Acoustics 1000S, which you can find for around £180. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

I read that the 1000s wasn't pacy enough for music, cant remember what publication that was in.

What sort of benefits would i get from upgrading speaker cable, im using average quality OFC cable and have already biamped. I dont think i can afford to get QED cable terminated with their air lock terminations, so would just cable make a difference?

Im also wondering about upgrading interconnects, I have an IXOS coax digital between my SACD and receiver, which seems to make a huge difference between itself and the 5.1 outputs, but im not sure if thats down to the decoding power of my SACD compared with my receiver.

I, only yesterday, bought a B-Tech component video cable, feels like its good quality, to send between my SACD and LCD, would a P.Scan player make a (noticable) difference to picture quality?

Also now ive got this lot I was looking at getting some sort of surge protection for mains supply and aerial coax. Any advice there?

Andrew Everard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 30/05/2007 - 12:34
Posts: 28837
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

user="richardjlarby" wrote:

I read that the 1000s wasn't pacy enough for music, cant remember what publication that was in.

Not sure if that was us, but have to say whenever I've heard the 1000S in complete QAcou systems it's sounded pretty good to me. The next most affordable star subwoofer is the Mordaunt-Short MS309i, at about £230, but then you're up into the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 and MJ Acoustics Pro 50 Mk2, at about £300 a pop.

user="richardjlarby" wrote:
What sort of benefits would i get from upgrading speaker cable, im
using average quality OFC cable and have already biamped. I dont think
i can afford to get QED cable terminated with their air lock
terminations, so would just cable make a difference?

Yes, better cables should bring you a bit more bass definition and detail, but I'd live with the system for a while before you start recabling it. 

user="richardjlarby" wrote:
Im also
wondering about upgrading interconnects, I have an IXOS coax digital
between my SACD and receiver, which seems to make a huge difference
between itself and the 5.1 outputs, but im not sure if thats down to
the decoding power of my SACD compared with my receiver.

Yes, the receiver decoding and processing is probably better than that in the Sony player, hence the better movie and stereo sound I assume you're getting. But of course you need the 5.1-channel analogue for multichannel SACD sound. 

user="richardjlarby" wrote:
I,
only yesterday, bought a B-Tech component video cable, feels like its
good quality, to send between my SACD and LCD, would a P.Scan player
make a (noticable) difference to picture quality?

You've already got one, if memory serves. Isn't the RDR-GX300 a progressive scan player? 

user="richardjlarby" wrote:
Also now ive got this
lot I was looking at getting some sort of surge protection for mains
supply and aerial coax. Any advice there?

Well, this might be a good place to start. But I'd try to have a demonstration before spending the money, to make sure you're convinced it makes a difference. 

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

I hae changed my mind about the rear speakers, I have purchased some Q acoustics 1050s to be used as fronts which will send my 1030s to the back. As subs go, I have a REL Q150 e on its way to me.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

nearly forgot about the centre there, obviously the Q acou 1000c.

Will this system sound an good in a mid sized room?

Clare Newsome's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 04/06/2007 - 12:06
Posts: 13580
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

 With those bigger fronts, you should be fine.

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

wicked!

D.J.KRIME's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 28/06/2007 - 17:16
Posts: 2431
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

I take it from the equipment you have listed that you room is quite small?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

victorian terrace. enough room to swing a cat.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

is that a problem? the room measures something like 16x16 feet from memory.

D.J.KRIME's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 28/06/2007 - 17:16
Posts: 2431
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

Surely you could have gone for a larger tv in a room of that size?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

It was an insurance replacement for my old 1. didnt get much choice in the matter. and the flat i was in at the time would have been overwhelmed by anything much bigger.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

Took delivery of the 1050s on Friday, spent ages switching my system around. I love the results.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Sony and Q acoustics home cinema

As it now stands, my system is;

Sony STR-DB930 QS receiver
Sony DVP-NS900V QS SACD/DVD player
Sony RDR-GX300 DVD recorder
Sony KDL-32S2530 lcd
Sony VGF-AP1L Atrac3 player
Technics SL-BD22 turntable
Q Acoustics 1050 stereo speakers (cherry)
Q Acoustics 1030 stereo speakers (cherry)
Soundstyle XS105 equipment rack

GJ Scart for DVDr
GJ RCAs for SACD
B-Tech component for DVD

Log in or register to post comments