53 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
RE: Paul's BR/805 system

That all looks great...........enjoy.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Paul.'s picture

Everything is ticking along quite nicely at the moment.  I am completely enamored by my TV, at the price I paid it feels like I have cheated some how Dance 4   I had a bag of cheap cables show up from Amazon, I paid £10 posted for two 2m HDMI and a 2m optical lead.  Image quality has improved from one of the Chord HDMI cables I replaced as I no longer get the intermittent white snow when the heavy Chord works its way loose Smile

I now have the dual HDMI on my Bluray player setup so I can watch 3D movies bypassing my old amp for video, I also have an optical connection from TV to amp for Plex on Smart Hub as my old amp also doesn't support HDMI ARC.  

I have re set my Harmony One so it is now fully operational with my new kit, everything clunks in to place where it should and I have removed a lot of superfluous buttons from the touch screen.  I think the latest software is much better than the older stuff, but I do resent being forced to install Silverlight!

I have a not really NAS but sort of behaves like a NAS sort of setup in my hallway, so I can store loads of video on there rather than my Laptop.  Ages ago I bought a high end Linksys router, and it was junk. So I returned it.  I now have a six year old Airport Extreme borrowed off of my Dad, it is rock solid stable, dual band (but not simultaneous) and is plenty powerful enough. Problem is it is so old it doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet!  My Drobo (4bay HD array) has 4TB protected storage hooked up to the USB2 on the extreme.  It is plenty fast enough to stream HD rips, but my laptop does need to be on to run the Plex media server.  Luckily my laptop is a bit of a beast, so this barely slows it down.

I was looking at replacing the Extreme to get something as powerful but with Gigabit Ethernet, then buying the four bay Ready NAS mentioned in another thread.  But that would be £250 for a new router and NAS, then I would need disks.  Although I have plenty of disks in the Drobo, how do I get the data on the the Ready NAS without erasing the Drobo?  I don't have anything near 4TB in the house.  So thats £350 just so my laptop doesn't need to be on?  Think I would rather go on a mini break...

I’m quite aware no one probably reads this, but for some reason I like documenting it.  I like the idea that someone out there on the internet has found my problems/dilemmas useful and its helped fix their own  :wave:

Big Chris's picture

I read it Paul....... I read it.......

Paul.'s picture

:beer:

CnoEvil's picture

I didn't read it, but just posting to make you feel better!  Wink

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Paul.'s picture

I need to get my PS3 back because this...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/15/gran-turismo-6-announced

Alantiggger's picture
RE: Paul's BR/805 system thread

Good read Paul, thx   Smile

Paul.'s picture

I thought I would add in my little kitchen system.  I was having a bit of an intensive clean in the kitchen today, and was quite surprised at how good this little system sounded. I only really listen when cooking or washing up with the tap going, so haven't had much of a chance to listen whilst being quite.

The System is a Marantz PM44 SE which I bought on eBay for around £40.  The Speakers are KEF Cresta 10 which were brand new from RS for £49 about six years ago.  Cables are some off cuts of Chord Rumour 2 (only just long enough!)  There is an iPod dock just out of view next to the iron Smile

Click the pic to embiggen

RobinKidderminster's picture

Looks similar to mine. Is it 5.1 or 7.1? Similar to someone elses here too?? Smile

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

Son_of_SJ's picture

Paul. wrote:

The Speakers are KEF Cresta 10 which were brand new from RS for £49 about six years ago. 

Aha! I have a KEF Cresta 20 as the centre speaker in my parlour!

RobinKidderminster wrote:
Looks similar to mine. Is it 5.1 or 7.1? Similar to someone elses here too?? :)

I wonder whom you mean?? Blum 3

grdunn123's picture

Son_of_SJ wrote:

Paul. wrote:

The Speakers are KEF Cresta 10 which were brand new from RS for £49 about six years ago. 

Aha! I have a KEF Cresta 20 as the centre speaker in my parlour!

RobinKidderminster wrote:
Looks similar to mine. Is it 5.1 or 7.1? Similar to someone elses here too?? :)

I wonder whom you mean?? Blum 3

I love that you have a parlour, Son_of_SJ

toyota man's picture

Paul. wrote:

Hi all, my system thread has gotten horribly messy as I didn't renew my flickr pro account and all of my pictures disappeared.  I have created a new one here so you don't need to skip past pages of dead picture links  Smile

Click the image to embiggen

I am running an Onkyo 805 amplifier, with Monitor Audio BR5 floor standers, Monitor Audio BR1 bookshelves as surrounds on Atacama Nexus 10i stands, a Monitor Audio BX LCR as centre and a REL T3 sub.  The reason for having a BX centre was simply that the BR was sold out in my colour, nothing fancy.  I chose the REL T3 over the Monitor Audio BRW10 as the BRW10 was known to be a weak link in the BR lineup.  I demoed the T3 and it was far more pacey and musical, more than likely because of the high level connector that the BRW10 lacked.  The BR5's are hooked up with Chord Rumour 4 in a Bi-amp configuration (better than 7.1 in my opinion).  The BR LCR is hooked up with Chord Rumour 2.  The BR1's are rigged with Chord Leyline as I Didn't fancy buying that much Rumour!  The T3 uses the Neutrik connector that comes in the box, as well as a Chord Crimson for 5.1 duties.

Sources are PS3 for games, Panasonic BDT-310 for Bluray and an Apple TV 2 for music streaming duties.  All are connected via HDMI, either with QED classic or Chord something or other.  I honestly couldn't tell you which unit the Chord is plugged in to as I cant tell the difference.  I stream to the ATV2 either from my iPhone 4 or a 17" MacBook Pro.

TV is a rather humble (by modern standards) Panasonic 37LZD70.  This is the only part I fancy upgrading, I would like a Panasonic 42GT50 but am content to wait quite a while until the prices tumble.  The whole lot is controlled with a Logitech Harmony One.

The stand is an Alphason, it came from the eBay outlet store and was dirt cheap.  So cheap was the stand that in my excitement to buy I didn't bother measuring anything.  Hence the mahoosive hacksawed hole in the back with a morbidly obese Onkyo hanging out of it.

Hi your system is looking good and sounding good I am sure what lens did you use to take photos 24mm wide angle ? great photos to Smile

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

Paul.'s picture

I did have a Canon 5d mk2 and a 16-35mm L mk2 but alas I sold all my SLR kit.  It bought me a car though Smile

Paul.'s picture

Tiny post for a tiny update, Bought an ATV3 to replace my ATV2. Can't really tell any difference but the ATV2 will make me a tidy proffit on eBay!  Watched Run Lola Run on Netflix on it, seemed indistinguishable from the old one.  Also bought an Asus N66U Dark Knight router, very impressed so far.  

mr malarky's picture

toyota man wrote:

Paul. wrote:

Hi all, my system thread has gotten horribly messy as I didn't renew my flickr pro account and all of my pictures disappeared.  I have created a new one here so you don't need to skip past pages of dead picture links  Smile

Click the image to embiggen

I am running an Onkyo 805 amplifier, with Monitor Audio BR5 floor standers, Monitor Audio BR1 bookshelves as surrounds on Atacama Nexus 10i stands, a Monitor Audio BX LCR as centre and a REL T3 sub.  The reason for having a BX centre was simply that the BR was sold out in my colour, nothing fancy.  I chose the REL T3 over the Monitor Audio BRW10 as the BRW10 was known to be a weak link in the BR lineup.  I demoed the T3 and it was far more pacey and musical, more than likely because of the high level connector that the BRW10 lacked.  The BR5's are hooked up with Chord Rumour 4 in a Bi-amp configuration (better than 7.1 in my opinion).  The BR LCR is hooked up with Chord Rumour 2.  The BR1's are rigged with Chord Leyline as I Didn't fancy buying that much Rumour!  The T3 uses the Neutrik connector that comes in the box, as well as a Chord Crimson for 5.1 duties.

Sources are PS3 for games, Panasonic BDT-310 for Bluray and an Apple TV 2 for music streaming duties.  All are connected via HDMI, either with QED classic or Chord something or other.  I honestly couldn't tell you which unit the Chord is plugged in to as I cant tell the difference.  I stream to the ATV2 either from my iPhone 4 or a 17" MacBook Pro.

TV is a rather humble (by modern standards) Panasonic 37LZD70.  This is the only part I fancy upgrading, I would like a Panasonic 42GT50 but am content to wait quite a while until the prices tumble.  The whole lot is controlled with a Logitech Harmony One.

The stand is an Alphason, it came from the eBay outlet store and was dirt cheap.  So cheap was the stand that in my excitement to buy I didn't bother measuring anything.  Hence the mahoosive hacksawed hole in the back with a morbidly obese Onkyo hanging out of it.

Hi your system is looking good and sounding good I am sure what lens did you use to take photos 24mm wide angle ? great photos to Smile

Paul, can I ask how much difference you found it made bi-amping the BR5's?

Am contemplating going down a similar route (if I can summon the willpower to pull the amp out and start messing around with cables again..).

Pages