53 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul.'s picture
Paul's BR/805 system thread
English

Hi all, my system thread has gotten horribly messy as I didn't renew my flickr pro account and all of my pictures disappeared.  I have created a new one here so you don't need to skip past pages of dead picture links  Smile

Click the image to embiggen

I am running an Onkyo 805 amplifier, with Monitor Audio BR5 floor standers, Monitor Audio BR1 bookshelves as surrounds on Atacama Nexus 10i stands, a Monitor Audio BX LCR as centre and a REL T3 sub.  The reason for having a BX centre was simply that the BR was sold out in my colour, nothing fancy.  I chose the REL T3 over the Monitor Audio BRW10 as the BRW10 was known to be a weak link in the BR lineup.  I demoed the T3 and it was far more pacey and musical, more than likely because of the high level connector that the BRW10 lacked.  The BR5's are hooked up with Chord Rumour 4 in a Bi-amp configuration (better than 7.1 in my opinion).  The BR LCR is hooked up with Chord Rumour 2.  The BR1's are rigged with Chord Leyline as I Didn't fancy buying that much Rumour!  The T3 uses the Neutrik connector that comes in the box, as well as a Chord Crimson for 5.1 duties.

Sources are PS3 for games, Panasonic BDT-310 for Bluray and an Apple TV 2 for music streaming duties.  All are connected via HDMI, either with QED classic or Chord something or other.  I honestly couldn't tell you which unit the Chord is plugged in to as I cant tell the difference.  I stream to the ATV2 either from my iPhone 4 or a 17" MacBook Pro.

TV is a rather humble (by modern standards) Panasonic 37LZD70.  This is the only part I fancy upgrading, I would like a Panasonic 42GT50 but am content to wait quite a while until the prices tumble.  The whole lot is controlled with a Logitech Harmony One.

The stand is an Alphason, it came from the eBay outlet store and was dirt cheap.  So cheap was the stand that in my excitement to buy I didn't bother measuring anything.  Hence the mahoosive hacksawed hole in the back with a morbidly obese Onkyo hanging out of it.

bigboss's picture
RE: Paul's BR/805 system thread

Looks very neat!!

Paul.'s picture

It's an illusion!  We are tidy people for about a day a month, and it slowly decays until it hits intolerable again Smile

CnoEvil's picture

Tidy system, very tidy room, outstandingly tidy (embiggened) photography. Dirol

Cno

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

moon's picture

sweet system, Paul. I bet the NIN rocks on that. Try the NIN Blu Ray " Beside you in Time" .... Awesome.

Paul.'s picture

Oh we have all the NiN:)  Hollie would leave me in a heartbeat for Trent, even though he is looking a little chubby these days...  

BenLaw's picture

Looking good Paul!  Smile

RickyDeg's picture

Thats a beautiful system, and yes - very neat aswell (illusion or no illusion, haha). And hurray for Monitor Audio; their products always rock. I've heard these models a few times. I like your tv-cabinet with that cool mounting-solution for the screen, gotta be perfect for those who can't/won't wall-mount it.

atanakata's picture

The system looks beautiful , as it does your new thread Smile I`ve always liked threads with pics on, but don`t know how to do it...

Could you give us some tips, pls.

Thank you Smile

Paul.'s picture
RE: Paul's BR/805 system

Hi Atanakata,  I have written it up here Smile

How to post photos to the forum

atanakata's picture

Hiya Paul,

Thank you ever so much for spending time to enlighten people like me That was very well described and it will be very useful one day. I wanted to make the changes to my post :

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/my-system-as-of-2012

, but the page doesn`t give me the option to " Edit " unfortunately...

BTW the shot with the lovely girls is stunning. Great job  :clap:

Paul.'s picture

Unfortunately there is no way of editing the first post of a thread.  The second post onwards can only be edited if no one has responded to the post.

atanakata's picture

Paul. wrote:

Unfortunately there is no way of editing the first post of a thread.  The second post onwards can only be edited if no one has responded to the post.

You`re right...Doesn`t matter. Thanks anyway for you help. Its appreciated..

drichardb's picture

Very nice Paul

Do you throw any heavier music than NiN at your system (I'm talking stuff like Slayer, Rammstein, Meshuggah)?  Kinda curious how the sub copes with it as I'm hoping to upgrade later this year and looking for candidates...

drichardb's picture

(unpublished by mods)

Very nice Paul

Do you throw any heavier music than NiN at your system (I'm talking stuff like Slayer, Rammstein, Meshuggah)?  Kinda curious how the sub copes with it as I'm hoping to upgrade later this year and looking for candidates...

Diamond Joe's picture

That's a very cromulent system you've got there Paul!!!  Wink

I really like the look of your TV stand, do you know which Alphason model it is?

Pages