111 posts / 0 new
Last post
professorhat's picture
RE: Nokia Lumia 920 & 820 - Thoughts?

Current results look like this (as of date and time of this post, clearly it will change as time goes on!):

The owls are not what they seem...

BenLaw's picture

Thanks Prof. I wonder if the Nokia has 2million pre-orders like the iPhone?

professorhat's picture

If the poll is to be taken as representative, then they should have over 5 million...

BenLaw's picture

And 94-97% of all people will have a current-gen smart phone....

bigboss's picture

BenLaw wrote:

Thanks Prof. I wonder if the Nokia has 2million pre-orders like the iPhone?

Pre-orders of the Lumia haven't started yet. The graph is just representative of the interest the Lumia has generated. Windows 8 as a platform is quite tiny, so nobody will expect it to sell as many phones as the Galaxy S3 or iPhone.

BenLaw's picture

bigboss wrote:

The graph is just representative of the interest the Lumia has generated.

The graph posted, in as far as it gives proportions, does not represent the interest generated, because:

Quote:
Windows 8 as a platform is quite tiny, so nobody will expect it to sell as many phones as the Galaxy S3 or iPhone.

The apparent greater interest in Nokia shows it to be meaningless. All it does show is that 20,000 people who've found that website are interested in the Nokia.

bigboss's picture

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

The graph posted, in as far as it gives proportions, does not represent the interest generated, because:

Quote:
Windows 8 as a platform is quite tiny, so nobody will expect it to sell as many phones as the Galaxy S3 or iPhone.

The apparent greater interest in Nokia shows it to be meaningless. All it does show is that 20,000 people who've found that website are interested in the Nokia.

As far as I can see, the website is not affiliated to any particular manufacturer. Even the iPhone 5 was launched only recently, & a lot of phone lovers (regardless of their platform preference) will be checking out various websites to check the latest models. Then why haven't iPhone & Samsung Galaxy S3 lovers voted?

Going by your thought process, every single online poll is meaningless.

professorhat's picture

bigboss wrote:

I'd probably agree with that. In fact remove the word online and I'd definitely agree with it  Smile

bigboss's picture

professorhat wrote:

bigboss wrote:

I'd probably agree with that. In fact remove the word online and I'd definitely agree with it  Smile

:grin:

BenLaw's picture

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Quote:

As far as I can see, the website is not affiliated to any particular manufacturer. Even the iPhone 5 was launched only recently, & a lot of phone lovers (regardless of their platform preference) will be checking out various websites to check the latest models. Then why haven't iPhone & Samsung Galaxy S3 lovers voted?

What the Prof said  Wink

Seriously tho, what - specifically - do you suggest it means?

You say on the one hand 'it is representative of the interest generated'. You say on the other 'nobody will expect it to sell as many phones as the Galaxy S3 or iPhone'. Those two statements are mutually inconsistent. It is impossible to draw any 'representative' conclusions without knowing (at least) the demographic of those visiting the site.

The biggest conclusion you can draw is that 'lots of people are interested in the new Nokia' (and indeed the other phones). The most specific you can get is that around 20,000 people who've visited that site have registered an interest in it. It says no more and no less than that. The problem is, I could have told you 'lots of people are interested in the new Nokia' without the need for this poll.

The only real use this poll will be is to the advertising department of this website.

bigboss's picture

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Quote:

What the Prof said  Wink

Seriously tho, what - specifically - do you suggest it means?

You say on the one hand 'it is representative of the interest generated'. You say on the other 'nobody will expect it to sell as many phones as the Galaxy S3 or iPhone'. Those two statements are mutually inconsistent. It is impossible to draw any 'representative' conclusions without knowing (at least) the demographic of those visiting the site.

The biggest conclusion you can draw is that 'lots of people are interested in the new Nokia' (and indeed the other phones). The most specific you can get is that around 20,000 people who've visited that site have registered an interest in it. It says no more and no less than that. The problem is, I could have told you 'lots of people are interested in the new Nokia' without the need for this poll.

The only real use this poll will be is to the advertising department of this website.

I'm not sure if you've really understood my post at all.

A high interest does not automatically translate to record breaking pre-orders, especially on a platform that's yet to prove its mettle. Android and iOS are tried and tested platforms over the past few years, pretty much guaranteeing record sales of Apple and Samsung.

If Windows mobile succeeds, who knows, the Lumia 930/940 may compete with record sales. 

If you look online, most of the websites aren't impressed with the new Lumia and yet, consumer interest is high. Yes, you could've told me that, but you're only one without the backing of ANY data.  Smile

BenLaw's picture

bigboss wrote:

I'm not sure if you've really understood my post at all.

A high interest does not automatically translate to record breaking pre-orders, especially on a platform that's yet to prove its mettle. Android and iOS are tried and tested platforms over the past few years, pretty much guaranteeing record sales of Apple and Samsung.

If Windows mobile succeeds, who knows, the Lumia 930/940 may compete with record sales. 

If you look online, most of the websites aren't impressed with the new Lumia and yet, consumer interest is high. Yes, you could've told me that, but you're only one without the backing of ANY data.  Smile

What makes you say I haven't understood?

I asked you what conclusions you think can be drawn, and the best answer I can see is, there's a 'high interest', and 'consumer interest is high'. If I didn't have data, would you not have believed me if I told you there'd be high interest? There must be over a billion mobile phone users worldwide, and half a dozen or so new smart phones. Really don't think these polls add much to anyone's information about that interest, save for their own ad departments.

bigboss's picture

http://www.noknok.tv/2012/09/20/nokia-lumia-920-more-popular-than-iphone-5-samsung-galaxy-siii-note-ii/

professorhat's picture

Possibly a slightly partisan article given its source! I don't disagree that the polls took place and those were the numbers they got, but I also agree with this fella's comment:

Non Microsoft/Nokia employee •  18 hours ago

This website is shocking. how can the new Lumia phones be more popular than the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3? iPhone pre-orders have surpassed 2 million and Galaxy s3 sales 20 million. Let's see those kinds of figures from Nokia then we'll talk.

bigboss's picture

Of course, the article is from a Nokia sponsored site, but the poll results are from 3 different sites. To be fair, the website only claimed that:

The Nokia Lumia 920 seems to have really caught the imagination of most smartphone users. 

As I mentioned previously, given that the Windows platform is largely untested as compared to the established iOS & Android, it is unrealistic to expect record breaking sales just yet. If Windows succeeds & comes on par with the others, we may see a different story 2 years down the line.

Pages