111 posts / 0 new
Last post
fr0g's picture
RE: Nokia Lumia 920 & 820 - Thoughts?

Nokia were prevented from sharing all the details apparently.

Personally I like them. And although I already have an HTC One X, I'll be investing in Windows 8 phone. Whether it be the flagship 920 I'm not sure, but I thing the doom-mongers are being a little hasty.

bigboss's picture

Alears wrote:

Oh dear indeed ...........

With the shares dropping as much as 15 per cent following the glitzy New York unveiling it is obvious that the markets would have liked to see some more innovation, more of a wow factor. Ben Wood, head of research at CCS Insight said to Reuters “The Lumia 920 feels like more of an evolution of existing Lumia phones than the revolution we expected from the close collaboration between Nokia and Microsoft” he thinks that to compensate the two companies will “…have to spend eye-watering sums on marketing and offer the new phones at aggressively low prices.” ..............

I don't want to say I told you so but.......... :wave:

Yes, I read that. Although this in no way reflects how the platform will perform. What did the investors & Ben Wood expect? A thin sheet of glass which is also a phone? I don't think Nokia could have done any better. In any case, if Nokia fails, Microsoft will gobble it up. I just feel that you need at least 3 ecosystems for a healthy competition. When Android was launched, it was never a revolution. Then why change goalposts for Nokia? Only the original iPhone was a revolution.

Again, these are mere speculations by the writer. 

bigboss's picture

fr0g wrote:

but I thing the doom-mongers are being a little hasty.

Agreed.

fr0g's picture

I'd say the first iPhone was more evolution than revolution. It certainly wasn't the first touch screen smart-phone. It did of course bring the best (at the time) OS to touch screen smart-phones and a sleek exterior. iOS looks pretty dated now though.

cheeseboy's picture

fr0g wrote:

I'd say the first iPhone was more evolution than revolution. It certainly wasn't the first touch screen smart-phone. It did of course bring the best (at the time) OS to touch screen smart-phones and a sleek exterior. iOS looks pretty dated now though.

yep, least we not foget, the first iphone was an ipod touch with a built in phone module, something that modders had done previously to the touch. 

fr0g's picture

I'd say the inclusion of full Office on these devices will be a killer. Think of all the company phones that are in circulation, and most companies use Office.

Trefor Patten's picture

My feeling is...  it's not an iPhone. Love'em or hate'em there is a reason why iPhones are popular, their build quality, sure, but even more important, their ease of use and their apps. Anything Windows or Android is a poor second bought either by those who  are ignorant of the difference, or those who weird form of inverted snobbery will never buy anything which comes from Apple. Myself, I have a five-year-old Nokia phone with no apps, no 'smart' facilities whatever because I have an iPod Touch. I have an iPod touch because it sounds (marginally) better than an iPhone and that is more important to me than having both gadgets in one box. iPod for music, phone for making calls, cheaper, slightly more cumbersome, but it suits me. When my £10 plastic phone gives up the ghost, I will probably buy another one, until then..... (Or until someone makes a better, slicker interface than Apple, with a better quality of build and better sound for less money... but that's not happening any time soon)

bigboss's picture

Trefor Patten wrote:

My feeling is...  it's not an iPhone. Love'em or hate'em there is a reason why iPhones are popular, their build quality, sure, but even more important, their ease of use and their apps. Anything Windows or Android is a poor second bought either by those who  are ignorant of the difference, or those who weird form of inverted snobbery will never buy anything which comes from Apple. Myself, I have a five-year-old Nokia phone with no apps, no 'smart' facilities whatever because I have an iPod Touch. I have an iPod touch because it sounds (marginally) better than an iPhone and that is more important to me than having both gadgets in one box. iPod for music, phone for making calls, cheaper, slightly more cumbersome, but it suits me. When my £10 plastic phone gives up the ghost, I will probably buy another one, until then..... (Or until someone makes a better, slicker interface than Apple, with a better quality of build and better sound for less money... but that's not happening any time soon)

I disagree. Anyone who suggests that Android is a poor second to iPhone either hasn't tried an Android or is an Apple fanboy. My wife has an iPhone 4S since 10 months & is bored by its lack of customisation. It's more suited for someone happy with the standard layout & hates fiddling around with the phone. Yes, iPhone is popular, but Android has a larger market share in the world right now.

As mentioned, MS Office is the killer app in Windows mobile, which has the potential to swing the enterprise clientele its way.

fr0g's picture

Trefor Patten wrote:

Anything Windows or Android is a poor second bought either by those who  are ignorant of the difference, or those who weird form of inverted snobbery will never buy anything which comes from Apple.

What a silly thing to say.

Android is more powerful. Windows looks funkier (not difficult unless you actually like a boring grid of icons with no way to customize).

iOS has the advantage of the larger app store (even more fart-sounds to choose from) and it's solidity. Android suffers from fragmentation in comparison, but its far far more functional. Windows 8...we shall see, but it should be as solid as iOS, but with its own advantages, not least cross-compatibility with the desktop (to a certain degree).

It all depends what you want.

Oh and I won't buy anything from Apple. Not snobbery, I just don't like bullies.

bigboss's picture

Icons in Windows 8 is now a lot more customizable than even. Android. Check the Nokia launch video.

manicm's picture

Trefor Patten wrote:

Perhaps but I'm dead bored of iOS.

bigboss's picture

I think that's the main problem with iOS. Lack of customisation means people can easily get bored of it.

professorhat's picture

fr0g wrote:

Oh and I won't buy anything from Apple. Not snobbery, I just don't like bullies.

And of course both Microsoft and Google are both faultless when it comes to that eh? And Sony, IBM, McDonalds, Coca-Cola, HP, Vodafone, BP, Walt Disney and of course good old News Corporation to name just a few others - I'm sure you boycott them all too.

The owls are not what they seem...

fr0g's picture

professorhat wrote:

fr0g wrote:

And of course both Microsoft and Google are both faultless when it comes to that eh? And Sony, IBM, McDonalds, Coca-Cola, HP, Vodafone, BP, Walt Disney and of course good old News Corporation to name just a few others - I'm sure you boycott them all too.

I installed Linux when MS were up to their tricks. I was extremely anti-MS at the time. Not so much now, and they keep me in work as well as creating thousands of jobs around the world. I agree that many of these companies get up to no good whether it be Apple, MS, Google, Amazon etc etc, for me it's a case of the lesser evil. Apple are the poster boys of Patent-trolling and bullying at the moment IMO and the stupid decision by the stupid jury in america only solidified my stance.

5 years from now it may all change. But not until attitudes (and probably laws) do.

John Duncan's picture

fr0g wrote:

I'd say the inclusion of full Office on these devices will be a killer. Think of all the company phones that are in circulation, and most companies use Office.

I'm not sure I get this argument. My iPhone opens word and excel docents fine. Read only, but I'm not sure I'd want to try to edit my year end forecasts on a phone. I liked windows 7 the one time I tried it, but am fairly android agnostic - I found it a bit clunky but I'm sure I could make it work for me for reasons stated above; it was more the hardware that put me off - I found the HTC Desire quite poor. Am very tempted by a nexus 7 or fire HD just to see what they're like, unless the rumoured iPad nano comes in at a very compelling price point.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

Pages