Is it worth upgrading to Windows 8 Pro
Firstly, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum but there is a ‘Windows’ section under ‘Smartphones & Tablets’ but not under ‘PCs etc’.
I have three ‘active’ computers:
1. Samsung 13.3” Notebook with a 2.1GHz AMD A6 Processor and 6 GB RAM running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. Used mainly for internet, MS Office applications, reading PDFs, video viewing (AVI, MP4 & MKV), photo viewing and, occasionally, photo editing with Photoshop.
2. Acer PC with 2.4GHz Intel Quad Core Processor and 4GB RAM and a separate 2GB Video Card running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. Used mainly for the same as the netbook but with a lot more Photoshop work.
3. Medion 10” Netbook with Intel Atom 1.6 GHz and 2GB RAM running Windows XP. Used mainly for internet inc. downloading and plugged into a 42” TV.
They are all perfectly well suited to the uses that I put them to - I am not into gaming or video work and do not need a ‘Power PC’.
When I bought the Samsung Notebook, it came with a cheap (£15.99) upgrade offer for Windows 8 Pro and I am now trying to decide whether to upgrade or not (and also eventually do the other two using the £24.99 upgrade offer open to all). Any advice should be appreciated from you good people who were early adopters of Windows 8 and might now have a lot of experience. Research on the net has turned up a lot of mixed opinion ranging from it’s not worth the upgrade if you don’t have a touch screen (which I don’t on any of the above) to it’s worth it on a notebook / laptop if only for the extra battery life it gives to neutral but faster start up is a bonus.
My instinct is to buy the cheap upgrade and install it on the Samsung Notebook and see how it goes but I guess my questions boil down to:
1. Is Windows 8 worth the upgrade on a conventional (ie. non-touch screen) computer?
2. Is the install fully reversible if I don’t like it? I don’t care about the £16 for the upgrade but I do care if I don’t like it but cannot easily go back to the earlier Windows 7 configuration.
3. Any comments on extra battery life Window 8 gives on a notebook / laptop?
4. Has anyone used it on a netbook with a similar spec to mine – the MS upgrade adviser reckons it should be OK but..........
Thanks in anticipation.