9 posts / 0 new
Last post
6th.replicant's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 26/10/2007 - 18:16
Posts: 2988
IE 7 tax
English

Kogan.com:

"The amount of work and effort involved in making our website look normal on IE7 equalled the combined time of designing for Chrome, Safari and Firefox."  ROFL

Full story:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18440979

scene's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 25/09/2008 - 12:48
Posts: 2977
RE: IE 7 tax

Saw it, love it :grin:

Only issue is that "7" on the end... Wink

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2954
RE: IE 7 tax

scene wrote:

Saw it, love it :grin:

Only issue is that "7" on the end... Wink

 

Unfair.

I understand why they don't want to support ancient versions, but if we're going off % then they should add the tax to Safari and Opera with just over 6% between them. IE has still a very good share, and it will probably increase with Windows 8, as IE10 is much better.

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23065
RE: IE 7 tax

Indeed, IE is a much better browser now, but I love Microsoft's 'compatibility mode', which really ought to be the default...

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

scene's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 25/09/2008 - 12:48
Posts: 2977
RE: IE 7 tax

fr0g wrote:

scene wrote:

Saw it, love it :grin:

Only issue is that "7" on the end... Wink

 

Unfair.

I understand why they don't want to support ancient versions, but if we're going off % then they should add the tax to Safari and Opera with just over 6% between them. IE has still a very good share, and it will probably increase with Windows 8, as IE10 is much better.

Sorry, the 7 comment was meant in jest, and the wink was there to try to show I didn't really mean it in all seriousness...

6th.replicant's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 26/10/2007 - 18:16
Posts: 2988
RE: IE 7 tax

fr0g wrote:

scene wrote:

Saw it, love it :grin:

Only issue is that "7" on the end... Wink

 

Unfair.

I understand why they don't want to support ancient versions, but if we're going off % then they should add the tax to Safari and Opera with just over 6% between them. IE has still a very good share, and it will probably increase with Windows 8, as IE10 is much better.

Of course, if a product is popular/sells well, then by default it must be a quality product - and its sales success is no reflection on the naivety of consumers...

 

 

 

 

etc...

nopiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 15/02/2009 - 19:25
Posts: 1491
RE: IE 7 tax

Ah, the Vanden Plas Allegro.  I'd forgotten they even made that!   Smile

Krell CD and amp, Michell/Rega/Grado record player, Hitachi and Sony tuners, Nakamichi cassette, SBT streamer, Sonus faber spkrs.  Sony and Samsung BDP & TVs. Qobuz > iPad > AudioPro Allroom Air One

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2954
RE: IE 7 tax

6th.replicant wrote:

fr0g wrote:

scene wrote:

Saw it, love it :grin:

Only issue is that "7" on the end... Wink

 

Unfair.

I understand why they don't want to support ancient versions, but if we're going off % then they should add the tax to Safari and Opera with just over 6% between them. IE has still a very good share, and it will probably increase with Windows 8, as IE10 is much better.

Of course, if a product is popular/sells well, then by default it must be a quality product - and its sales success is no reflection on the naivety of consumers...

 

 

 

 

etc...

 

Ah, a strawman. Well done.

We're talking about a company getting fed up of having to support minor browsers, not the merits or otherwise of them. Personally I use Chrome. It's fast and syncs with Chrome on my phone. I also use Firefox from time to time as it's colour managed properly.

But if I was writing a web site and didn't have much time, I would probably drop older versions of IE, Safari and Opera from any compatibility checks. Not because of quality, but because there numbers are so low.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12985
RE: IE 7 tax

fr0g wrote:
We're talking about a company getting fed up of having to support minor browsers, not the merits or otherwise of them.

Err, no, that WASN'T their point, it was the fact that IE7 doesn't work properly so takes a lot more effort to make it look right, the other browsers, regardless of their market share DO work properly, so don't require much effort to support. So in fact it IS the merits (or otherwise) of the individual browser that was the focus of their decision to charge extra.

Log in or register to post comments