26 posts / 0 new
Last post
gowiththeflow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 10/01/2009 - 20:55
Posts: 214
I'm not sure about Spotify ?????
English

I've just purchased a Sonos multi-room system. Totally amazing kit and no wonder everyone seems to rave about in magazines reviews and on internet forums like this one. 

As most of you will know, one of the features is the built-in ability to connect to music streaming services such as Spotify, Napster, Deezer, Pandora etc, etc. (bypassing the PC or Mac).

Being in the UK most of these services are not available, however a few are, including the very popular Spotify. 

Currently I use We7 via my iMac or other household PC's or laptops, although I'm still on the free subscription (unlimited use but with adverts, although I get Advert free days every week or so).

We7 isn't supported by Sonos (yet?) which is a pain.

 

So far I've resisted the temptation to subscribe to Spotify because of how it runs as a Peer-to-Peer (p2p) network and I don't like the idea of my computer becoming a server for other users on the Spotify network, as well as my internet capacity being gobbled up by the uploading of tracks stored on my computer to be sent to other users. 

We7, like most streaming services, is just that; simple streaming from the service to your computer. It runs in the browser and there is no software or bespoke media player installed on your computer, other than what's already in there.

On the other hand, Spotify requires the downloading and installation of software on your computer and the setting up of a cache for the storage of music that may be accessed by other users. Again, I don't like the idea of that !

 

Ordinarily, We7 has most of what I search for, even if Spotify has more choice; and I'd leave it at that. However having got the Sonos system I'm quite tempted to try Spotify, although that invovles a Premium Service subscription of £10 a month !!

I just don't like the idea of my computers being enrolled into some p2p network, with the Spotify application running in the background, even when I'm not using that service.

Plus, I'm not sure what impact it will have on other internet use, such as streaming video (BBC iPlayer etc, ), VOIP phone calls, internet radio streams etc?

Are my fears unfounded?

 

 

.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

imo yes.

I like that spotify is a program and that i don't need to start up my browser every time I want to play a track. I also find navigation a breeze on spotify and like the playlist structure it has.

Regarding peer to peer technology I am not really sure why you are frowning upon it so much so it is up to you to decide. You can reduce the cache spotify uses in the preferences and also clean out the files in the spotify Appdata folder (in Windows anyway not sure of Apple location) if you wish. I don't think that Spotify uses a particularly large amount of data and certainly doesn't interfere with the performance of other programs. Well not in my case anyway. 

You could argue that £10 a month is quite a bit when you do not actually get to "own" any files but I have discovered music and been gigs that without Spotify I would never have heard of/been to, so for me the cost of a subscription is justified.

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23081
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

gowiththeflow wrote:

So far I've resisted the temptation to subscribe to Spotify because of how it runs as a Peer-to-Peer (p2p) network and I don't like the idea of my computer becoming a server for other users on the Spotify network

Huh?  Since when?

EDIT - since, like, forEVer.  Heavens, didn't know that...

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

I would simply not worry about it. Close Spotify when you're not using it and it stops sharing. Remember all it is sharing is the cache itself has downloaded. 

P2P has a bad rep because of piracy, but it is a fantastic idea, and one that helps make Spotify and other services run smoothly with no dropouts..

 

As for £10 a month and not owning anything... It's a bargain. You get full 320 Kbps streaming on most tracks in the premium version and who cares if you don't own it, you can play it anytime...even offline if you choose to sync the playlists you create. AND you can then install on a smartphone, whether it be Android, Symbian or iOS.

 

It has reduced the number of bought albums by 10's of £ a month and broadened my listening so much so that I regard £10 as a snip! (compare to Sky Sports for instance!)

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

I got a Sonos as well, great system. Tried Napster free for a month and whilst they have more content than Spotify some of it is dreadful quality. Spotify isn't necessarily Hi Fo (320kbps I think) but its quite listenable and as with all source material the original recording quality is more important than the bit rate. Slightly less content than Napster and of course double the money but you can have some great entertaining evenings listening to all that stuff you'd never buy but curiously want to listen to anyway

gowiththeflow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 10/01/2009 - 20:55
Posts: 214
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

Thanks for the responses.

Incidentally I wasn't questioning the concept of the streaming service and not owning music tracks, after all I've been using We7 for a year or so and thinks it's brilliant (even at the lower bit rate). It only costs £5 a month to upgrade to the ad-free Premium service too.

If Sonos were to integrate this service onto their system, I'd be very happy; even if the current bit rate is lower than Spotify's 320kbps Premium streams.

It's the P2P aspect of Spotify that I'm having difficulty in accepting.

Presumably I can reduce the cache size or set the app to opt out of hosting and uploading to other users of the service?

 

 

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

gowiththeflow wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

Incidentally I wasn't questioning the concept of the streaming service and not owning music tracks, after all I've been using We7 for a year or so and thinks it's brilliant (even at the lower bit rate). It only costs £5 a month to upgrade to the ad-free Premium service too.

If Sonos were to integrate this service onto their system, I'd be very happy; even if the current bit rate is lower than Spotify's 320kbps Premium streams.

It's the P2P aspect of Spotify that I'm having difficulty in accepting.

Presumably I can reduce the cache size or set the app to opt out of hosting and uploading to other users of the service?

 

 

 

 

You can reduce the cache, but not opt out. And rightly so. If everyone did that, it wouldn't work. Why exactly are you worried? It's a hell of a lot less intrusive than simply browsing the internet, especially if you use Google, or buy anything on line.

 

As to the previous posters "not exactly hifi". I challenge you to tell the difference between a WAV and a 320 KBps MP3... using a proper ABX test... You probably won't manage it. I've yet to meet anyone who can. 

gowiththeflow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 10/01/2009 - 20:55
Posts: 214
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

Trousertrumpet wrote:

You can reduce the cache, but not opt out. And rightly so. If everyone did that, it wouldn't work. Why exactly are you worried? It's a hell of a lot less intrusive than simply browsing the internet, especially if you use Google, or buy anything on line.

Hi,

I appreciate that if everbody was able to opt out, then the Spotify model wouldn't work. However all the other services run reasonable well without uses a P2P system and streaming direct.

I also understand that the P2P model can improve reliability and robustness of the streams in some cases, however I do question whether that is really needed as internet capacity and line speeds increase (although at a glacial pace here in the UK |( ).

Without knowing too much about such matters, I assume the real benefit is for Spotify in reducing their requirement for expensive line capacity, rather for the subscribers? 

The other thing is that I'd rather not install their app on my computer if I can help it, although that's not a major concern; just a nice to have.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13181
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

gowiththeflow wrote:
The other thing is that I'd rather not install their app on my computer if I can help it, although that's not a major concern; just a nice to have.

Spotify isn't for you.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

gowiththeflow wrote:

Without knowing too much about such matters, I assume the real benefit is for Spotify in reducing their requirement for expensive line capacity, rather for the subscribers? 

It means Spotify works extremely well. No glitches, great quality. And yes, it cuts down on their expenses...(Now, I wonder what would happen to the price if they went up?)

gowiththeflow wrote:

The other thing is that I'd rather not install their app on my computer if I can help it, although that's not a major concern; just a nice to have.

Why? I am really struggling to understand any of these rather strange "issues". Download Spotify, run it, don't worry about it. It doesn't drag your connection down, it doesn't intrude on your private data and it just works. 

 

Also, I think you need to change your username Wink

 

 

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3571
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

Trousertrumpet wrote:
I challenge you to tell the difference between a WAV and a 320 KBps MP3... using a proper ABX test... You probably won't manage it. I've yet to meet anyone who can. 
Feel free to pop round and meet me.
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

MajorFubar wrote:

Trousertrumpet wrote:
I challenge you to tell the difference between a WAV and a 320 KBps MP3... using a proper ABX test... You probably won't manage it. I've yet to meet anyone who can. 
Feel free to pop round and meet me.

 

Have you actually done the ABX test... Foobar2000 and the ABX plugin? If you can, then congrats...but I have my doubts.

Lee H's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 07/10/2010 - 12:20
Posts: 1465
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

Trousertrumpet wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:

Trousertrumpet wrote:
I challenge you to tell the difference between a WAV and a 320 KBps MP3... using a proper ABX test... You probably won't manage it. I've yet to meet anyone who can. 
Feel free to pop round and meet me.

 

Have you actually done the ABX test... Foobar2000 and the ABX plugin? If you can, then congrats...but I have my doubts.

Ah, this one again. How is the new username working out for you?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

Lee H wrote:

Trousertrumpet wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:

Trousertrumpet wrote:
I challenge you to tell the difference between a WAV and a 320 KBps MP3... using a proper ABX test... You probably won't manage it. I've yet to meet anyone who can. 
Feel free to pop round and meet me.

 

Have you actually done the ABX test... Foobar2000 and the ABX plugin? If you can, then congrats...but I have my doubts.

Ah, this one again. How is the new username working out for you?

 

Excuse me?

Lee H's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 07/10/2010 - 12:20
Posts: 1465
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

Trousertrumpet wrote:

Lee H wrote:

Trousertrumpet wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:

Trousertrumpet wrote:
I challenge you to tell the difference between a WAV and a 320 KBps MP3... using a proper ABX test... You probably won't manage it. I've yet to meet anyone who can. 
Feel free to pop round and meet me.

 

Have you actually done the ABX test... Foobar2000 and the ABX plugin? If you can, then congrats...but I have my doubts.

Ah, this one again. How is the new username working out for you?

 

Excuse me?

If I'm wrong, then I apologise (genuinely) but another member that espoused the ABX test stopped using the forum the same time you joined. Again, if I've added 2 + 2 and got 5, I apologise.

However. Whilst many people may not be able to tell, people on this forum often have high quality equipment and a good ear. Many of them can tell. I get disheartened when people insist on trying to turn the enjoyment of music in to a science. Many times, I can spot the difference - but not every time.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: I'm not sure about Spotify ?????

Lee H wrote:

Trousertrumpet wrote:

Lee H wrote:

Trousertrumpet wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:

Trousertrumpet wrote:
I challenge you to tell the difference between a WAV and a 320 KBps MP3... using a proper ABX test... You probably won't manage it. I've yet to meet anyone who can. 
Feel free to pop round and meet me.

 

Have you actually done the ABX test... Foobar2000 and the ABX plugin? If you can, then congrats...but I have my doubts.

Ah, this one again. How is the new username working out for you?

 

Excuse me?

If I'm wrong, then I apologise (genuinely) but another member that espoused the ABX test stopped using the forum the same time you joined. Again, if I've added 2 + 2 and got 5, I apologise. However. Whilst many people may not be able to tell, people on this forum often have high quality equipment and a good ear. Many of them can tell. I get disheartened when people insist on trying to turn the enjoyment of music in to a science. Many times, I can spot the difference - but not every time.

 

But don't you agree that using science can help save people some money, or in this case, give people peace of mind. My equipment isn't the most expensive but neither is it cheap, and I used to say exactly the same thing until I stared testing things properly. I have saved myself plenty of money this way in recent years, and have also realised that Spotify premium is every bit as good as using a CD, the only limiting factor being no gapless playback. There are exceptions mind you, there are some poor rips, but I haven't found many.

Here's a recent album I found and quite liked on Spotify... Seems a pretty good quality to me, although I haven't got the CD to compare in this case...

Laroca – Valley Of The Bears

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments