16 posts / 0 new
Last post
hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2453
Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

WiFi does not reach the back of my house, so am thinking of a booster. Does anyone have a recommendation? 

 

Ben123's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 13/01/2012 - 12:01
Posts: 141
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

A not so tech savvy friend of mine asked me to install one in his house.  I went for the affectionaly named TP-LINK TL-WA830RE as it was only 30 notes and got good reviews.  I've given it a trial run in my house and its a big improvement over the crummy sky router i have.

Havent got round to installing it at his house yet but hopefully it will do the trick with his lead walls or whatever he has :grin:

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 23 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3428
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

Unless you really need the WiFi I'd recommend you take a different route and buy homeplugs. It's the best thing I ever did.

Nothing truly beats connecting two things together with a cable.

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2453
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

MajorFubar wrote:

Unless you really need the WiFi I'd recommend you take a different route and buy homeplugs. It's the best thing I ever did.

Nothing truly beats connecting two things together with a cable.

Thanks, I already have homeplugs which do indeed work well. My tablet, phone and son's ipod all require wireless.

 

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2453
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

Ben123 wrote:

A not so tech savvy friend of mine asked me to install one in his house.  I went for the affectionaly named TP-LINK TL-WA830RE as it was only 30 notes and got good reviews.  I've given it a trial run in my house and its a big improvement over the crummy sky router i have.

Havent got round to installing it at his house yet but hopefully it will do the trick with his lead walls or whatever he has :grin:

Thanks, but that is a bit big - I may want to deploy on the landing, so one of the plugin ones is probably more suitable. I notice on Amazon that there is a TP-LINK TL-WA850RE which fits the bill.
MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 23 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3428
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

hammill wrote:
Thanks, I already have homeplugs which do indeed work well. My tablet, phone and son's ipod all require wireless.

Ah fair do's...just thought I'd mention it in case you'd never heard of them. I hadn't heard of them 'til quite recently, nor have most of the people I know.

relocated's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 976
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

MajorFubar wrote:
hammill wrote:
Thanks, I already have homeplugs which do indeed work well. My tablet, phone and son's ipod all require wireless.
Ah fair do's...just thought I'd mention it in case you'd never heard of them. I hadn't heard of them 'til quite recently, nor have most of the people I know.

 

Will an Apple Airport Express do the job?  Link it to your router and it creates another wifi zone as well as other things.  Not very cheap I suppose but I'm sure I have read that it is a solution.

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15876
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

Apple Airport Extreme 802.11n base station.

 

Feral's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 19/11/2008 - 12:53
Posts: 68
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

Useful utility for checking if neighbours or other devices are hammering a particular wireless band.  Enables you to choose a quiet band and potentially improve performance although you may have checked this already.

 

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Feral

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2453
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

Feral wrote:

Useful utility for checking if neighbours or other devices are hammering a particular wireless band.  Enables you to choose a quiet band and potentially improve performance although you may have checked this already.

 

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Feral

I have already changed channel, but thanks for the suggestion. It is a long way from my wireless router to the back of the house.
LateDev's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 20/11/2013 - 15:17
Posts: 3
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

There are devices called powerline wifi extenders, which combine the powerline technology, but the receiver also Transmits/Reveives wifi. Ideal for those with pads and game boxes with no ethernet connection.

 

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2453
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

LateDev wrote:

There are devices called powerline wifi extenders, which combine the powerline technology, but the receiver also Transmits/Reveives wifi. Ideal for those with pads and game boxes with no ethernet connection.

 

As It happens, that is what I got in the end.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

[UNPUBLISHED]

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 4 sec ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 2956
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

What router do you have?  It may be worth considering replacing the router with a better one rather than adding and extender to the network. Adding an extender can slow down the network.  I really rate Asus routers, N66 is bullet proof and very fast.

emptage's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 20/06/2011 - 15:34
Posts: 123
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

Did the powerline wifi extenders solve the problem. I have similar issues

emptage's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 20/06/2011 - 15:34
Posts: 123
RE: Can anyone recommend a wifi booster?

I had the problem of wi fi not reaching parts of my house.  Power plugs were not possible as some rooms on a different circuit.  I was using a Virgin Media superhub.  What I did was to use the superhub as a modem only and purchase a Netgear Nighthawk router.  This has brilliant coverage and solved my problem

Log in or register to post comments