25 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17004
Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination/official war doc thread
English

Been watching Ewan and Colin McGregor's tribute to the boys of 40. Found it fairly mundane...

Far more intersting and engauging (sorry for aeronautical pun) is Jeoffrey Wellum's 'First Light'. When produced correctly this type of docu-drama is more captivating and poignant than a famous actor weeping fake tears as he stands close to a BoB Spitfire. There's been more programmes about BoB and the starring aircraft than you can shake a stick at. So did we learn anything new? Nope.

However, gripe aside, is there anything in life that stokes the imagination more than a sight of a ancient fighter aircraft? Don't think there is: The copious air pageants I've seen of a 40 year period, the Spitfire, more than any plane, boat, or train rekindles the kid in you.

Let's hope the Mitchell family fully realise the impact RJs design has had on generations of ordinary people. Some things just remain timeless. Sacrosanct.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16439
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

plastic penguin wrote:
However, gripe aside, is there anything in life that stokes the imagination more than a sight of a ancient fighter aircraft? Don't think there is: The copious air pageants I've seen of a 40 year period, the Spitfire, more than any plane, boat, or train rekindles the kid in you.

I'm more of a Cold War kid and it's the Vulcan that does it for me out of all of them.

Spifires and Hurricanes were always (along with most propellor aircraft) the most boring part of Airshows for me. They were 'filler' between military jet aircraft.

I just don't have the memories. I was always waiting for the Red Arrows or some Phantoms, or similar, during any WW2 flypast.

I prefer Dr Strangelove to The Battle of Britain.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3053
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

Maybe it is an age thing.  I do love the Spitfire and Vulcan, don't know why but I always thought the Nimrod was handsom beast as well.  For me though, it's the Harrier all the way.  I was working at Warton and saw a Harrier land vertically so close I thought my ears would bleed, that was increadible.  They were the planes on the news as I was growing up, much like if I think of super cars I think of the F40 and Countache, if I think of Bond it's Roger Moore!

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17004
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

Paul Hobbs wrote:

Maybe it is an age thing.  I do love the Spitfire and Vulcan, don't know why but I always thought the Nimrod was handsom beast as well.  For me though, it's the Harrier all the way.  I was working at Warton and saw a Harrier land vertically so close I thought my ears would bleed, that was increadible.  They were the planes on the news as I was growing up, much like if I think of super cars I think of the F40 and Countache, if I think of Bond it's Roger Moore!

Is it an age thing? I dunno really. One example was back in 2000 Mrs. P, my sister and I went to Biggin for the BoB air show September 15th time, where the bulk of the aircraft were examples of that era. Sure they had modern jets (Hawker Hunters, Migs, Harrier, Tornados etc, including modern attack helicopters), and the older generation were sheltering from the sun, while the kids played happily with their toy aircraft. However, when a formation of Hurricanes and Spits flew at low level Mrs. P said: "Look at this lot." It was pretty stunning that literally all ages - 4 to 94 - just stopped in their tracks and were riveted while the vets flew at low level. I've never seen anything like it before or since.

FWIW my favourite aircraft is the Sunderland Flying-boat. Like the Spit and Hurricane it just looked right.

On a lighter note: At Biggin on this occasion a Tornado did a low-level sweep down the runway, swings swept back, the ground shook so much the car alarms started screeching. There was a hundreds of people leggin it back to their cars en masse.   

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16439
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

The best free 'air show' we ever had was when sitting outside the Warren House Inn on Dartmoor. I think we saw most of the RAF hurtling down the valley below (and right over the pub at what seemed like touching distance) for the hour or so we were sat having lunch. (I wanted to stay there.)

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17004
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

Had a similar experience: My bro lives just down the road from Farnborough and often we'd nip down there on his motorbike and park up around the back. Failing that, if intoxicated, we'd sit in his back garden and watch the aircraft scrape the tree-tops.

The most amazing thing I saw at Biggin was a fly-past by a AVRO biplane and a Harrier side-by-side. Literally both pilots were waving at the crowds. Fabulous sight.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

laserman16's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 18:17
Posts: 2259
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

plastic penguin wrote:

On a lighter note: At Biggin on this occasion a Tornado did a low-level sweep down the runway, swings swept back, the ground shook so much the car alarms started screeching. There was a hundreds of people leggin it back to their cars en masse.   

Saw a Tornado at RAF Cosford do the same trick then when he got to the end of the runway he put it into a vertical climb into a clear blue sky and was still climbing when he disappeared from sight but you could still hear him rumbling away. Awesome.

Whilist I am not old enough to remember the Spitfire in action, every time I see one there is just something very special about them, can't even put my finger on why but just does it for me.

Harriers probably fall into the same class, they are just so unique, years ago sat on the beach near Weymouth with the kids for a couple of hours watching Harriers do what I assume was a sumulated attack run over Portland and then land on HMS Invincible that was moored in the bay., then some more would take off and do the run again. Kids loved it, glad I'd got a couple of pairs of binoculars with me.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17004
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

Supermarine were originally going to call the aircraft the 'Shrew'. Doesn't have the same ring does it?

Fairly amusing story behind the name: It was Robert McClean, head of Vickers, who came up with the name of 'Spitfire'. He named it after his daughter, who could be very amiable but often had a very hot-headed side.

Upon hearing the new name of the aircraft, RJ Mitchell curtly responded: "Typical... that's just the silly bloody name he would give it!" 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16439
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

plastic penguin wrote:
Supermarine were originally going to call the aircraft the 'Shrew'. Doesn't have the same ring does it?

It could have been worse.

Much worse.

 

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

:grin: excellent Chebby.

 

Here's a clip from Eastbourne last year where a Belgian F-16 & Spitfire MKIX do a Flypast together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50La_Az_t6E

 

Spitfires and hurricanes both evoke so much emotion and pride in so many people obviously because of WWII and the Battle of Britain and the huge debt we owe to their pilots (but the sound and the distinctive look of the Spitfire means it's my favourite of the two).

 

I'm way too young to have seen them in action over SE England where I live at the time and if I had then I'm sure they would stir much more in me and be my favourite aircraft of all time.

 

What gets the blood flowing the most at air shows for me is the ground thump and sonic boom of afterburners on fast jets such as the Vulcan (jaw dropping), F16, Tornado and best of all the Eurofighter Typhoon which made such a roar and did things I had never seen a jet do before when I saw it at Biggin Hill.

 

That crackle of afterburners (at around 50 seconds into the video) puts the hugest grin on my face every time.

 

I also miss Concorde.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17004
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

SteveD wrote:

:grin: excellent Chebby.

 

Here's a clip from Eastbourne last year where a Belgian F-16 & Spitfire MKIX do a Flypast together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50La_Az_t6E

 

Spitfires and hurricanes both evoke so much emotion and pride in so many people obviously because of WWII and the Battle of Britain and the huge debt we owe to their pilots (but the sound and the distinctive look of the Spitfire means it's my favourite of the two).

 

I'm way too young to have seen them in action over SE England where I live at the time and if I had then I'm sure they would stir much more in me and be my favourite aircraft of all time.

 

What gets the blood flowing the most at air shows for me is the ground thump and sonic boom of afterburners on fast jets such as the Vulcan (jaw dropping), F16, Tornado and best of all the Eurofighter Typhoon which made such a roar and did things I had never seen a jet do before when I saw it at Biggin Hill.

 

That crackle of afterburners (at around 50 seconds into the video) puts the hugest grin on my face every time.

 

I also miss Concorde.

We all miss the distinctive lines of Concorde

One of the most fascinating (and scary) things at Biggin was a Russian Sukhoi su-47 taking off and goin totally vertical and hovering in that vertical position and reversed slowly back down and suddenly shot along the runway (all this happened around 1,000 feet from the crowds. I think all subsequent displays were culled and deemed too dangerous.

BTW, I'm way too young to remember the BoB....:)

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17004
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

plastic penguin wrote:

Supermarine were originally going to call the aircraft the 'Shrew'. Doesn't have the same ring does it?

Fairly amusing story behind the name: It was Robert McClean, head of Vickers, who came up with the name of 'Spitfire'. He named it after his daughter, who could be very amiable but often had a very hot-headed side.

Upon hearing the new name of the aircraft, RJ Mitchell curtly responded: "Typical... that's just the silly bloody name he would give it!" 

Think the Ewan Brothers could've made the documentary more interesting by shoehorning quirky litlle facts such as the above.

Also they could've mentioned that Hermann Goering was known by his officers and aircrews as alt dicker or 'old fatso'.

And even try to explain, once and for all, why Dowding and keith Park, THE most important figures in winning the battle - along with Churchill - were removed from their positions. Heard various explanations but non really stand up in my view.

Still find their treatment disgusting. A book came out in 41 to commemorate the BoB and Dowding wasn't mentioned once. You can't airbrush a vastly influencial figure from that part of British history.

Biggest Churchill faux pas by some distance.

Edit - perhaps Chebby, a learned Churchill admirer, can throw some light on the subject.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

plastic penguin wrote:

SteveD wrote:

:grin: excellent Chebby.

 

Here's a clip from Eastbourne last year where a Belgian F-16 & Spitfire MKIX do a Flypast together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50La_Az_t6E

 

Spitfires and hurricanes both evoke so much emotion and pride in so many people obviously because of WWII and the Battle of Britain and the huge debt we owe to their pilots (but the sound and the distinctive look of the Spitfire means it's my favourite of the two).

 

I'm way too young to have seen them in action over SE England where I live at the time and if I had then I'm sure they would stir much more in me and be my favourite aircraft of all time.

 

What gets the blood flowing the most at air shows for me is the ground thump and sonic boom of afterburners on fast jets such as the Vulcan (jaw dropping), F16, Tornado and best of all the Eurofighter Typhoon which made such a roar and did things I had never seen a jet do before when I saw it at Biggin Hill.

 

That crackle of afterburners (at around 50 seconds into the video) puts the hugest grin on my face every time.

 

I also miss Concorde.

We all miss the distinctive lines of Concorde

One of the most fascinating (and scary) things at Biggin was a Russian Sukhoi su-47 taking off and goin totally vertical and hovering in that vertical position and reversed slowly back down and suddenly shot along the runway (all this happened around 1,000 feet from the crowds. I think all subsequent displays were culled and deemed too dangerous.

BTW, I'm way too young to remember the BoB....:)

 

Ha! I wasn't implying you were old enough yourself either PP!  Don't think there are too many people on this forum requiring high fidelity hearing aids.

 

This link might bring back some memories!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvi0S6dnalc

 

You've really reminded me how much I love air shows (for both old and new planes) - definitely going to Biggin Hill again this year now.

 

 

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17004
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

SteveD wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

SteveD wrote:

:grin: excellent Chebby.

 

Here's a clip from Eastbourne last year where a Belgian F-16 & Spitfire MKIX do a Flypast together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50La_Az_t6E

 

Spitfires and hurricanes both evoke so much emotion and pride in so many people obviously because of WWII and the Battle of Britain and the huge debt we owe to their pilots (but the sound and the distinctive look of the Spitfire means it's my favourite of the two).

 

I'm way too young to have seen them in action over SE England where I live at the time and if I had then I'm sure they would stir much more in me and be my favourite aircraft of all time.

 

What gets the blood flowing the most at air shows for me is the ground thump and sonic boom of afterburners on fast jets such as the Vulcan (jaw dropping), F16, Tornado and best of all the Eurofighter Typhoon which made such a roar and did things I had never seen a jet do before when I saw it at Biggin Hill.

 

That crackle of afterburners (at around 50 seconds into the video) puts the hugest grin on my face every time.

 

I also miss Concorde.

We all miss the distinctive lines of Concorde

One of the most fascinating (and scary) things at Biggin was a Russian Sukhoi su-47 taking off and goin totally vertical and hovering in that vertical position and reversed slowly back down and suddenly shot along the runway (all this happened around 1,000 feet from the crowds. I think all subsequent displays were culled and deemed too dangerous.

BTW, I'm way too young to remember the BoB....:)

 

Ha! I wasn't implying you were old enough yourself either PP!  Don't think there are too many people on this forum requiring high fidelity hearing aids.

 

This link might bring back some memories!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvi0S6dnalc

 

You've really reminded me how much I love air shows (for both old and new planes) - definitely going to Biggin Hill again this year now.

 

 

I know - just confirming I don't need a padded cell yet...;)

Regards to airshows, I haven't been to one for two years, so there's a need to make up for lost time. Biggin's on my radar and probably Duxford, home of 'Big Wing' (hiss, boo!)

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

Just been having a look and it seems Biggin Hill no longer has a major air show!  Missed hearing about that.

http://www.airshows.org.uk/news/2010/10/open-house-air-day-to-replace-the-biggin-hill-air-fair-commencing-september-2011/

 

Might still be good but have been looking at Fairford IAT line up instead.

Bit gutted about that.

 

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 17004
RE: Yesterday: A Spit fires the imagination.

SteveD wrote:

Just been having a look and it seems Biggin Hill no longer has a major air show!  Missed hearing about that.

http://www.airshows.org.uk/news/2010/10/open-house-air-day-to-replace-the-biggin-hill-air-fair-commencing-september-2011/

 

Might still be good but have been looking at Fairford IAT line up instead.

Bit gutted about that.

 

Jeeze - me neither. I'll have to make a few phone calls and get the in-depth gen on the new displays. Once I've received any worthwhile info I'll report back.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Pages

Log in or register to post comments