2248 posts / 0 new
Last post
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5322
RE: Film Club

I'm quite keen to start, but I think we should wait for feedback from the other members on the rules.

I'm also feeling the pressure of being first up, I've had a little look at my dvds, and it's going to be hard to get it down to just 3, and I'd really hate to suggest films that you've all seen. 

Anyway, let's wait for Strapped and Expat to reply about the rules, then I'll get to seriously thinking about the 3 titles.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4460
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Not really, there are still places for sub-members. 

I'm not sure I'm happy with the term "sub-members." It sounds rather elitist, in a we're the cognoscenti, you're not kind of way.

Might I suggest there are no sub-members? That way, places have been allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Should one member leave, a space will open up.

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6328
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

strapped for cash wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Not really, there are still places for sub-members. 

I'm not sure I'm happy with the term "sub-members." It sounds rather elitist, in a we're the cognoscenti, you're not kind of way.

Might I suggest there are no sub-members? That way, places have been allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Should one member leave, a space will open up.

 

Yes, I didn't get round to saying that but I agree. It sounds like it's heading down the line of the Stanford experiment! It's an open forum so anyone can join in with suggestions and comments on the films. The six thing is more just to make the selection process manageable, as I see it. 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5322
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

I couldn't think of another way of wording it at the time, but what I meant was all contributors that are not us. 

I can see I'm ploughing a minefield here with Strapped.  :grin:

Ummmm. I agree with Strapped and Ben.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5322
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

We can always expand the 6 if it's viable.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5322
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

strapped for cash wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Not really, there are still places for sub-members. 

I'm not sure I'm happy with the term "sub-members." It sounds rather elitist, in a we're the cognoscenti, you're not kind of way.

Might I suggest there are no sub-members? That way, places have been allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Should one member leave, a space will open up.

:rofl:

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4460
RE: Film Club

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Anyway, let's wait for Strapped and Expat to reply about the rules, then I'll get to seriously thinking about the 3 titles.

All fine. (Apart from the sub-members clause.)

Would members be interested in supplementary reading on issues of film history and film style that might inform group discussion. (All reading must be downloadable in PDF form or available via Google Books.) Things shouldn't get too heavy. I'm thinking one book chapter or journal article per-month.

People might not fancy that at all, but I think it would be helpful to contextualise the films.

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2206
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

strapped for cash wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Not really, there are still places for sub-members. 

I'm not sure I'm happy with the term "sub-members." It sounds rather elitist, in a we're the cognoscenti, you're not kind of way.

Might I suggest there are no sub-members? That way, places have been allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Should one member leave, a space will open up.

+1

 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4460
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

I can see I'm ploughing a minefield here with Strapped.  :grin:

You should never plough a minefield, unless you're into extreme sports.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5322
RE: Film Club

strapped for cash wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Anyway, let's wait for Strapped and Expat to reply about the rules, then I'll get to seriously thinking about the 3 titles.

All fine. (Apart from the sub-members clause.)

Would members be interested in supplementary reading on issues of film history and film style that might inform group discussion. (All reading must be downloadable in PDF form or available via Google Books.) Things shouldn't get too heavy. I'm thinking one book chapter or journal article per-month.

People might not fancy that at all, but I think it would be helpful to contextualise the films.

If others would like to, then why not. personally, I'd rather just watch the films and discuss in my limited way.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

expat_mike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 30/03/2013 - 19:10
Posts: 405
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

Quote:
Well if we're watching a French film it should allow a wide choice of both cheese and wine.

Of course.

Seriously though, I am getting the impression that the plan is to meet in each others homes for each months discussion. It will be difficult for me to travel to the uk for meetings, but I can attend virtually through skype or maybe facetime.

Even so, next summer, maybe if there was interest, we could hold a meeting in Toulouse, where copious quantities of wine, cheese and confit de canard could easily be arranged.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5322
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

So, we all seem to be onboard, we're all aware of the rules, should I make my 3 title selection?

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4460
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

BenLaw wrote:

It's an open forum so anyone can join in with suggestions and comments on the films. The six thing is more just to make the selection process manageable, as I see it. 

I agree. We couldn't close off discussion, even if we wanted to. Maybe the six should be regarded as a film selection panel rather than members.

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4460
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

So, we all seem to be onboard, we're all aware of the rules, should I make my 3 title selection?

Go for it BBB!

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23031
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

Woot woot!

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

Pages

Log in or register to post comments