2433 posts / 0 new
Last post
expat_mike's picture
David@FrankHarvey wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

The first two are relatively cheap to get hold of, and the last one is on LoveFilm - let me know if anyone doesn't have LoveFilm and I'll choose something else.

Unfortunately we don't have LoveFilm in France (it has been forecast to start imminently for the past 12 months, but I don't think Amazon.fr is very proactive on this score). Under the skin is still in some cinemas, so isn't available on DVD or Bluray yet, and its not on Orange VOD yet. Sorry about that.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Sorry BBB, didn't realise. Do

Sorry BBB, didn't realise. Do you want me to replace it with something else? And as for Under The Skin, shall I just replace both of these films with something else?

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

John Duncan's picture
David@FrankHarvey wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

BenLaw wrote:
I proposed it first time round. You all picked the goat film instead!

I'm not even going to ask...

I think you should be required to watch it, as a form of Film Club membership initiation.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

John Duncan wrote:

John Duncan wrote:

<a href="mailto:David@FrankHarvey">David@FrankHarvey</a> wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

I think you should be required to watch it, as a form of Film Club membership initiation.

Does it get eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex?

BenLaw's picture
David@FrankHarvey wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

John Duncan wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

No, but they do knock some stuff over and climb on a table.

BenLaw's picture
David@FrankHarvey wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Sorry BBB, didn't realise. Do you want me to replace it with something else? And as for Under The Skin, shall I just replace both of these films with something else?

Disappointing as those are the two I haven't seen and therefore would have voted for but if a member can't get one I don't see how it can be included and if another member will not be able to watch a second film for some reason than again it shouldn't be included. Under the Skin could be included from October by the look of it. 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
David@FrankHarvey wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Don't do that on my behalf Dave, and if it does get chosen, I'll try my best to watch it, but god help me if she sees it. It's not that my wife is in denial, it's just that she is tired of being blamed for something that happened a long time ago. I read a review on IMDb which was from someone who had seen the film in China, and they told of school trips to see the film. This isn't about education, this is all about anti-Japanese propaganda. The Chinese are teaching their kids to hate Japan, that is a fact, and there are regular attacks in China on Japanese businesses and people. My problem with watching this film, is it is being used to stir up anti-Japanese feeling, whether that was the director's aim or not.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BenLaw wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

John Duncan wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Did they? It was more exciting than I thought then.  Mosking

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

John Duncan's picture
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

John Duncan wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

You forgot the bit where the stone was knocked way from under the van, the can knocks over the fence, and the goats run amok. It was like the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan. With goats.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

expat_mike's picture
Was there also the ceremonial

Was there also the ceremonial burning of a tree? A bit like The Wicker Man, without a wicker man.

John Duncan wrote:

John Duncan wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

John Duncan wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

You forgot the bit where the stone was knocked way from under the van, the can knocks over the fence, and the goats run amok. It was like the first twenty minutes of Saving Private Ryan. With goats.

Biggrin

You're right, I'll have to watch it again. 

expat_mike wrote:

expat_mike wrote:

Was there also the ceremonial burning of a tree? A bit like The Wicker Man, without a wicker man.

No. 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:Don

Don't do that on my behalf Dave, and if it does get chosen, I'll try my best to watch it, but god help me if she sees it. It's not that my wife is in denial, it's just that she is tired of being blamed for something that happened a long time ago. I read a review on IMDb which was from someone who had seen the film in China, and they told of school trips to see the film. This isn't about education, this is all about anti-Japanese propaganda. The Chinese are teaching their kids to hate Japan, that is a fact, and there are regular attacks in China on Japanese businesses and people. My problem with watching this film, is it is being used to stir up anti-Japanese feeling, whether that was the director's aim or not.

To me it seemed as though it was presenting the facts of what happened - I don't know how accurate it is in general as I wasn't there and I hadn't even heard of the story it was telling until I ordered the film, but it seemed the type of film that was going for accuracy. I personally sided with the Japanese in this instance based on what the film was telling me. I certainly wouldn't have expected that any hatred still continues today. 

I'll make another recommendation BBB as I totally understand your situation. Shall I also replace Under The Skin?

If you could change Under The

If you could change Under The Skin, that would be great, but please stick with the other, I'll just have to watch it in secret if it gets chosen.  Biggrin

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

I certainly wouldn't have expected that any hatred still continues today. 

This is just some of what has happened, and is still happening, a lot goes unreported in the west.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_China_anti-Japanese_demonstrations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19614800

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/17/business/china-japan-panasonic/

Pages