2314 posts / 0 new
Last post
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
BenLaw wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

I absolutely think you should be allowed to nominate a film more than once. If it's a film you'd be interested in members seeing / think members would be interested in seeing then go for it. Like you chaps I've nominated films I'd like to have been seen / expected might have been voted for!

Well, I have 2 (almost) certainties for nomination, so I may well nominate one of the rejected four for nomination next time, and I think I know which one, though I'm pretty sure I said that I'd nominate atleast one film that I'd never seen before next time, so I'm struggling again to get the nominations down to just 3.  Nea

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

I've been thinking, but I've

I've been thinking, but I've also been drinking, so excuse me if what I'm about to propose is nonsense.

When it comes around to my proposals again, I want to suggest a few rule changes from that vote onwards.

Firstly, we all nominate 5 films, not 3, and the 5 can include one film previously nominated.

Secondly, any nominated film that has been seen by 2 or more of the members (excluding the proposer) will be excluded from the vote.

Thirdly, no film can be proposed more than 2 times.

What do you all think?

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

richardw42's picture
Sounds ok to me. 

Sounds ok to me. 

Ive not got a problem with re nominating any film, ultimately the vote will decide. 

I wonder if 5 films might be a bit diluted. 

expat_mike's picture
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

I think you watched Elling didn't you Mike? 

Yes, I enjoyed the gentle humour contained within the film. I wish the film had been longer, because i could have watched another 2 hours of it. Biggrin However I realised that the particular overall storyline within that "episode" of their life, had completed itself.

My other choices were Onibaba, Dogtooth and My Life As A Dog, and I wholeheartedly recommend all of these films still. 

I still have bookmarked pages for Dogtooth and My Life As A Dog, on my browser, so they are on my "like to see list".

expat_mike's picture

I've been thinking, but I've also been drinking, so excuse me if what I'm about to propose is nonsense.

When it comes around to my proposals again, I want to suggest a few rule changes from that vote onwards.

Firstly, we all nominate 5 films, not 3, and the 5 can include one film previously nominated.

We can give it a go. One point to clarify, is this intended to mean that a member can include a film previously nominated by themself, or include a film previously nominated by any member of the club? If the latter, then each member needs to keep a list of all the films nominated by all the other club members.

Secondly, any nominated film that has been seen by 2 or more of the members (excluding the proposer) will be excluded from the vote.

This may be the most difficult change. Several members have already watched many hundreds (thousands?) of films, and this probably means that many good films have already been watched by by at least two of the members. I remember that my film Pans Labyrinth had been watched by everyone except me, and still ended up being voted first.

If we use the criterion "seen by 2 or more of the members", my concern is that each set of 5 nominations will end up reduced to only 2 films, by the time voting takes place. If we do use this type of rule, then I propose that the bar is set slightly higher (eg "seen by 3 or more of the members", to reduce the risk of small voting lists.

Thirdly, no film can be proposed more than 2 times.

We can give it a go. One point to clarify, is this intended to mean a film proposed twice by an individual member, or a film proposed twice in total by all the members of the club? If the latter, then each member needs to keep a list of all the films nominated by all the other club members.

Once Ben and David have had

Once Ben and David have had their say, we can discuss the options for going forward, but for clarification, I meant they can nominate a film that had been previously proposed by themself, and no film can be proposed by the same person more than two times, 

David@FrankHarvey's picture

Once Ben and David have had their say, we can discuss the options for going forward, but for clarification, I meant they can nominate a film that had been previously proposed by themself, and no film can be proposed by the same person more than two times, 

I'm easy BBB - I've seen As If I Am Not There by the way.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

BenLaw's picture
Sounds complicated to me but

Sounds complicated to me but I'm not really fussed. Agree 5 may dilute a little. Agree with the veto from 2 (say) members having seen. Pans labyrinth is obviously a great film but I voted it last and would have preferred to do something I'd never seen before. Yes members have watched a lot of films but there's a massive choice and most suggestions I've never seen before. 

expat_mike's picture

Thanks BBB, that clarifies those points.

If 5 is too many, so how

If 5 is too many, so how would you all feel about 4? 

Like Ben, I'm still keen on the veto for any film seen by 2 members or more, and for exactly the same reasons. 

David@FrankHarvey's picture
I'm last in, so I'm easy. Go

I'm last in, so I'm easy. Go with the flow Smile

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

expat_mike's picture

If 5 is too many, so how would you all feel about 4? 

Like Ben, I'm still keen on the veto for any film seen by 2 members or more, and for exactly the same reasons. 

I would prefer to have 5 nominations. I will explain my reasoning, using maths as follows:

Scenario 1 - If you activate the veto for any film seen by 1 member or more, then it becomes very likely that virtually all nominations will have been seen by someone, and end up vetoed. You then need to start with many nominations (maybe 10?), to ensure that two or three remain for the final vote.

Scenario 2 - If you activate the veto for any film seen by 2 members or more, then it is likely (but less likely than for Scenario 1) that many nominations will have been seen by at least 2 members, and end up vetoed. You need to start with less nominations than in Scenario 1, to ensure that two or three remain for the final vote. I suspect that 5 nominations would prove to be the minimum viable number, with 4 nominations posing a risk thet some months we will have all but one nomination vetoed before the vote.

Scenario 3 - If you activate the veto for any film seen by 3 members or more, then it is possible (but less likely than for Scenario 2) that some nominations will have been seen by at least 3 members, and end up vetoed. You need to start with less nominations than in Scenario 2, to ensure that two or three remain for the final vote. I suspect that 4 nominations would prove to be the minimum viable number, with 3 nominations posing a risk thet some months we will have all but one nomination vetoed before the vote.

etc.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just to explain my concern. When push comes to shove, I will go with the majority view on this.

BenLaw's picture
If films are chosen with the

If films are chosen with the idea of them not being mainstream in mind then I think the 'maths' is pessimistic but I'm happy to go with 5 in order to be sure. It can always be pared back later if appropriate. 

BenLaw's picture
David@FrankHarvey wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

So has everyone seen this by now?

BenLaw wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

<a href="mailto:David@FrankHarvey">David@FrankHarvey</a> wrote:

So has everyone seen this by now?

Ummmmm.....no! 

Tonight should be the night though.

Pages