2350 posts / 0 new
Last post
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
BenLaw wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

BBB follows the what are you watching thread most closely and could nominate an alternative also. 

I don't really go there anymore, it's full of Simon Lewis's appalling film choices.

I've mentioned the membership to Chebby on another thread, not sure if he hasn't seen it, or is not at all interested, but however deperate we become, let's not offer a place to Simon.  Blum 3

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BenLaw's picture
strapped for cash wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:

Hi BBB,

I'm fine, thanks, though busy in all sorts of ways and, like yourself, somewhat disillusioned with the forum of late.

I can't say I'm a fan of the "improved" forum, either. Change isn't always for the better.

Hope you're feeling a little more positive about things generally and the film club thread in particular.

Cheers,

Strapped

Welcome back strapped. Hope all is well. If you are not ready to rejoin film club then, like Mike, I hope you remain an active lurker.

I watched Birth of a Nation recently. I confess it took me three sessions of about an hour each, long silent films can be hard work. Remarkable in many ways. Having read up a bit on it and the KKK since, it is pretty terrifying, in that the KKK had entirely disappeared before the film, which had a strong hand in its reocurrence and inspired many of its conventions, such as cross burning.

BenLaw's picture
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

BBB follows the what are you watching thread most closely and could nominate an alternative also. 

I don't really go there anymore, it's full of Simon Lewis's appalling film choices.

I've mentioned the membership to Chebby on another thread, not sure if he hasn't seen it, or is not at all interested, but however deperate we become, let's not offer a place to Simon.  Blum 3

Haha, you say exactly what I've thought before! I never post there so on the odd occasion I look in it would have felt churlish to be rude to Simon about his film choices. But yes, Simon and gel's tastes may well not coincide with many members' of film club.

If Chebby remains unresponsive you will have to select an alternative target.

richardw42's picture
To quote Monty Python. 1 down

To quote Monty Python. 1 down and 5 to go. 

Hopefully the film club can stay together as it's definitely widened the type of films I'm prepared to watch. 

How near are we to discussing As if........

strapped for cash's picture
BenLaw wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

I watched Birth of a Nation recently. I confess it took me three sessions of about an hour each, long silent films can be hard work. Remarkable in many ways. Having read up a bit on it and the KKK since, it is pretty terrifying, in that the KKK had entirely disappeared before the film, which had a strong hand in its reocurrence and inspired many of its conventions, such as cross burning.

You probably shouldn't seek out Griffiths' follow up (apologist)* film Intolerance, then. That's even longer than The Birth of a Nation!

* Think Jonathan Demme directing Philadelphia following criticism of The Silence of the Lambs.

strapped for cash's picture

And last, but definitely not least, I'm pleased you're still with us, and the door is open for a dramatic return to the Film Club if you so wish.

Thanks BBB, though I think I'll remain a lurker and sporadic contributor for the time being.

Taking a break from the forum has been a good thing. I've also got a lot on at the moment.

Keep the film club going, though, even if that's the extent of your forum activity!

Still no response from Chebby

Still no response from Chebby, so I'm, guessing he's not at all interested in becoming a member of the Film Club. 

Let's all keep an eye out for any possible new members, and we'll continue with just the 5 of us until we find a new victim (I mean member).  Yes 3

Can we all make sure we've seen As If I Am Not There by the end of this month, then we'll move on to discussing the film, and then watching City Of Lost Children by the end of August.

Thank you all. 

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

Betty Blue on Film 4 late

Betty Blue on Film 4 late Monday night, and a couple of Japanese animation films on Thursday, Tekkoninkreet, and Up On Poppy Hill.

I've just had a thought as it

I've just had a thought as it's not too long before I have to nominate my next 3 films.

Would it be ok to nominate a film that I'd previously nominated? I'm thinking that it's not a good idea, but there's more than one of my previous nominations that I really wish had been chosen. 

I'll bow to the consensus of opinion.

expat_mike's picture
RE:Still no response from Chebby:

Let's all keep an eye out for any possible new members, and we'll continue with just the 5 of us until we find a new victim (I mean member).  Yes 3

Can we all make sure we've seen As If I Am Not There by the end of this month, then we'll move on to discussing the film, and then watching City Of Lost Children by the end of August.

OK by me.

expat_mike's picture
RE: Betty Blue on Film 4 late

Betty Blue on Film 4 late Monday night, and a couple of Japanese animation films on Thursday, Tekkoninkreet, and Up On Poppy Hill.

Is that the Directors Cut version of Betty Blue?

I've been thinking of watching it again for a few weeks, and considered using it as one of my next nominations.

expat_mike's picture
RE:Resubmitting nominations

Would it be ok to nominate a film that I'd previously nominated? I'm thinking that it's not a good idea, but there's more than one of my previous nominations that I really wish had been chosen. 

It is not a problem for me. I had wondered the same question, for when I next submit my list of nominations.

My first set of nominations, resulted in a tie for first place, and I think that my second set was poised in a tie with one set of votes remaining.

Consequently I was thinking that I had two nominations, that could be argued were deserving of a second chance. However I assumed that the other members would be of the opinion that if not selected the first time, they should not be re-nominated. Maybe my assumption was wrong. However I certainly would be against resubmitting nominations that came third in their original set of votes - because if a nomination was very unpopular first time around, I doubt that it would prove popular second time around.

expat_mike wrote:

expat_mike wrote:

It is not a problem for me. I had wondered the same question, for when I next submit my list of nominations.

My first set of nominations, resulted in a tie for first place, and I think that my second set was poised in a tie with one set of votes remaining.

Consequently I was thinking that I had two nominations, that could be argued were deserving of a second chance. However I assumed that the other members would be of the opinion that if not selected the first time, they should not be re-nominated. Maybe my assumption was wrong. However I certainly would be against resubmitting nominations that came third in their original set of votes - because if a nomination was very unpopular first time around, I doubt that it would prove popular second time around.

I'd really like to nominate both of my third place choices, and my second place choices too, so I think it's best to put that idea to bed.

I think you watched Elling didn't you Mike? 

My other choices were Onibaba, Dogtooth and My Life As A Dog, and I wholeheartedly recommend all of these films still. 

BenLaw's picture
I absolutely think you should

I absolutely think you should be allowed to nominate a film more than once. If it's a film you'd be interested in members seeing / think members would be interested in seeing then go for it. Like you chaps I've nominated films I'd like to have been seen / expected might have been voted for!

BenLaw's picture

expat_mike wrote:

I'd really like to nominate both of my third place choices, and my second place choices too, so I think it's best to put that idea to bed.

I think you watched Elling didn't you Mike? 

My other choices were Onibaba, Dogtooth and My Life As A Dog, and I wholeheartedly recommend all of these films still. 

I've seen Dogtooth before, great film, though probably wouldn't vote for it for that reason. Other two are on my lovefilm list. Like I say, nominate what you want to nominate, better that than going for something you're not sure about. 

Pages