297 posts / 0 new
Last post
Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1268
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Andrew17321 wrote:

 

Just back from hearing Joshua Bell with The Academy of St Martin in the Fields Chamber Orchestra playing Brahms' Violin Concerto. Really splendid.

No HiFi can compare with the real thing. Whenever I go to live concerts my upgrade-itis just disappears; small improvement in my system are just not worth the bother.

Andrew

There is certainly something different about live performances.  When they "take off" they are very special.  Kissin in the Tchaikovsky PC 1 and Benjamin Grosvenor in the Saint-Saëns: PC 2 here in Birmingham in January were special.

On my CD player today I have Yuja Wang's "Transformation".  Outstanding, indeed scintillating, pianism from this young talent.  Well worth investing in.

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

margetti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 29/05/2008 - 18:58
Posts: 1059
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Beautiful...

Tear Drop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 23/04/2008 - 23:26
Posts: 486
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

I love David Darling's album Cello, his 'sequel' Darkwood is not quite as good but still outstanding.

 

Fauré's Requiem on Pentatone (Ed Spanjaard with Limburg SO) is a great intepretation, been listening again recently.

Tear Drop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 23/04/2008 - 23:26
Posts: 486
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Any recommendations for a good Verdi's Requiem? I don't seem to have found a really great one yet.

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 1986
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

I think the Pappano recording is worth a shot: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdi-Messa-Requiem-Anja-Harteros/dp/B002HIEIVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393977966&sr=8-1&keywords=verdi+requiem+pappano

IMO Pappano is a superb conductor, and the Italian repertoire is his home turf.

:cheers:

Matt

The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves ...

Tear Drop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 23/04/2008 - 23:26
Posts: 486
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

matt49 wrote:

I think the Pappano recording is worth a shot: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdi-Messa-Requiem-Anja-Harteros/dp/B002HIEIVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393977966&sr=8-1&keywords=verdi+requiem+pappano

IMO Pappano is a superb conductor, and the Italian repertoire is his home turf.

:cheers:

Matt

 

Thanks I'll give it a whirl, despite the rather naff artwork! I'm sure it doesn't reflect the music.

Freddy58's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 24/01/2014 - 21:11
Posts: 914
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Hiya folks. Sorry to butt in, but maybe someone can help. A few years back I heard (on the radio) a live recording of Hungarian Rhapsody. It sounded (at least) like a fairly recent recording, given the apparent sound quality. I've heard a few versions, but none compare. Any ideas?

Andrew17321's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 12/11/2008 - 19:59
Posts: 150
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

 

Hi Tear Drop

I agree with Matt on this (the Pappano recording), but can I suggest you try to go to a live concert of Verdi's Requiem; no recording can really capture the atmosphere, and the vastness of the sound of the orchestra and choir.  I have been to six performances over the years, the last one in Dublin last summer. It was so outstanding, and emotionally draining, that it still affects me as I write this. I have not listened to any of my CD recordings of Verdi's Requiem since that night last summer, and I suspect I never will.

Andrew

Tear Drop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 23/04/2008 - 23:26
Posts: 486
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Andrew17321 wrote:

 

Hi Tear Drop

I agree with Matt on this (the Pappano recording), but can I suggest you try to go to a live concert of Verdi's Requiem; no recording can really capture the atmosphere, and the vastness of the sound of the orchestra and choir.  I have been to six performances over the years, the last one in Dublin last summer. It was so outstanding, and emotionally draining, that it still affects me as I write this. I have not listened to any of my CD recordings of Verdi's Requiem since that night last summer, and I suspect I never will.

Andrew

 

Yeah, I agree. A Verdi's Requiem has never seemed to come my way in the places I have lived over the last 15 years. If and when it does I'll be there. So, of the six performances, were any performed in a church or cathedral? I like the idea of listening in that type of acoustic.

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1268
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Tear Drop wrote:

Andrew17321 wrote:

 

Hi Tear Drop

I agree with Matt on this (the Pappano recording), but can I suggest you try to go to a live concert of Verdi's Requiem; no recording can really capture the atmosphere, and the vastness of the sound of the orchestra and choir.  I have been to six performances over the years, the last one in Dublin last summer. It was so outstanding, and emotionally draining, that it still affects me as I write this. I have not listened to any of my CD recordings of Verdi's Requiem since that night last summer, and I suspect I never will.

Andrew

 

Yeah, I agree. A Verdi's Requiem has never seemed to come my way in the places I have lived over the last 15 years. If and when it does I'll be there. So, of the six performances, were any performed in a church or cathedral? I like the idea of listening in that type of acoustic.

I've owned the John Eliot Gardiner recording for many years and I've not really been motivated to look much further.  Played on original instruments with a top notch vocal line up (including von Otter) and recorded in All Hallows, London it is simply stunning IMO.  Gardiner drives the performance forward with great intensity and the recording is superb.  This is a very clear recommendation from me.

Chris

PS There is a new (2013) version by Barenboim and the La Scala orchestra which has had great reviews.  It has a glittering vocal line up including my favourite mezzo of the day Elina Garancha.  I've not heard it yet but a friend has told me that I must.

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

Tear Drop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 23/04/2008 - 23:26
Posts: 486
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Covenanter wrote:

I've owned the John Eliot Gardiner recording for many years and I've not really been motivated to look much further.  Played on original instruments with a top notch vocal line up (including von Otter) and recorded in All Hallows, London it is simply stunning IMO.  Gardiner drives the performance forward with great intensity and the recording is superb.  This is a very clear recommendation from me.

Chris

PS There is a new (2013) version by Barenboim and the La Scala orchestra which has had great reviews.  It has a glittering vocal line up including my favourite mezzo of the day Elina Garancha.  I've not heard it yet but a friend has told me that I must.

 

Chris, thanks for the recommendation, I don't actually have a huge amount of Barenboim recordings, a situation that will have to be rectified.

 

I actually have the Gardiner recording and it is very good, but I have found it a little over the top/bombastic. I haven't listened to it in a while and I do absolutely love period instrument recordings. It may be time for a fresh listen, especially since my system has evolved quite significantly since I last put it on.

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8270
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

This afternoon I have been delighting in Helene Grimaud's wonderful Bach disc from 2008.  She is such a stylish and communicative player and there is always an awareness of the overall structure of the music.

On the subject of the Verdi Requiem, I have and love the Pappano recording and would highly recommend it for anyone seeking a full blooded performance in good clean sound.  Pappano is always stylish in the Italian repertory.  I haven't heard the new Barenboim recording but I would anticipate special things from it.  Might have to pick that one up!

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rotel RCD965BX - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8270
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

A recording of Brahms' Op.116, Op.117, and Op.118 sets of piano pieces played by Martin Jones.  The ambisonic recording technique utilised by Nimbus gives the piano space to breathe within the acoustic of the recording space and I like the resultant perspective, which is more akin to sitting about half way back in a recital as opposed to the 'head in the piano' approach more commonly taken.  Jones isn't as persuasive as the wonderful Julius Katchen but there is plenty of beauty and interest in his playing and these are worthy recordings.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rotel RCD965BX - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

Freddy58's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 24/01/2014 - 21:11
Posts: 914
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Freddy58 wrote:

Hiya folks. Sorry to butt in, but maybe someone can help. A few years back I heard (on the radio) a live recording of Hungarian Rhapsody. It sounded (at least) like a fairly recent recording, given the apparent sound quality. I've heard a few versions, but none compare. Any ideas?

 

I'll take that as a 'no' then...

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 1986
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Freddy58 wrote:

Freddy58 wrote:

Hiya folks. Sorry to butt in, but maybe someone can help. A few years back I heard (on the radio) a live recording of Hungarian Rhapsody. It sounded (at least) like a fairly recent recording, given the apparent sound quality. I've heard a few versions, but none compare. Any ideas?

I'll take that as a 'no' then...

Isn't Hungarian Rhapsody a Queen album?

But if you want Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies, the Cziffra EMI recording is a classic.

I've no iea what the live recording is that you're referring to.

Matt

The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves ...

Pages

Log in or register to post comments