346 posts / 0 new
Last post
matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2226
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

I thought I'd give this a go:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Janacek-House-Dead-Czech-PO/dp/B000023YXI/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384300366&sr=1-5&keywords=from+the+house+of+the+dead

Janacek's From the House of the Dead done by Vaclav Neumann (good conductor) and a Czech band. But I can't help thinking it's utterly awful: plodding, clumsy, hammy singing. Oh dear!

So back to the canonical Mackerras VPO recording:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jan%C3%A1cek-House-Dead-L-Janacek/dp/B00DI5E6MC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384300837&sr=1-1&keywords=from+the+house+of+the+dead

which is most wonderful: a superb recording of one of the 20th century's greatest operas.

:cheers:

Matt

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2226
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

A familiar old favourite, and even if it's just too familiar, I'd still recommend having a listen to the John Ogdon/Sir John Pritchard/Philharmonia Orchestra recording from 1962. It's available on the EMI John Ogdon 70th Anniversary 4-disk set:

  http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Ogdon-70th-Anniversary/dp/B000Q7ZIKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1385513713&sr=1-1&keywords=john+ogdon+70th+anniversary

And on Spotify:

John Ogdon – John Ogdon - 70th Anniversary Edition

I think it's now generally acknowledged that in his pomp Ogdon was one of the greats. The recording may not be absolutely pin sharp, but the power and dynamism of the playing more than makes up for it.

The performance of the Liszt B Minor Sonata is also great.

:cheers:

Matt

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

gpi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 29/03/2008 - 23:14
Posts: 1079
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Beethoven's Triple Concerto, Violin Concerto and the piano version of the latter, Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto and Vivaldi's The Four Seasons. All on CD.

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4209
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

DocG wrote:

...Not sure it qualifies as strictly 'classical' music (though definitely more so than Red Hot ChiliPeppers  ;)).

'One Hot Minute' by the Chili Peppers may not be classical but it is a classic.  Wink

Hi-Fi - Yamaha RX-V667 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4209
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Delibes - Flower Duet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kij_hHB_hyY

Beautiful.

Hi-Fi - Yamaha RX-V667 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1456
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Just home from hearing Ex Cathedra/Fretwork performing Elizabethan music at Birmingham's Town Hall (they are a wonderful choir) and I've put my old Byrd - The Great Service - King's College Choir/Cleobury CD on.  I have to admit I've not listened to this for many years but it is a great performance.  Not sure if it is still available but it was EMI CDC 7 47771 2.

Recommended if you like 16th century polyphony.

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2226
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Covenanter wrote:

Just home from hearing Ex Cathedra/Fretwork performing Elizabethan music at Birmingham's Town Hall (they are a wonderful choir) and I've put my old Byrd - The Great Service - King's College Choir/Cleobury CD on.  I have to admit I've not listened to this for many years but it is a great performance.  Not sure if it is still available but it was EMI CDC 7 47771 2.

Recommended if you like 16th century polyphony.

Chris

Nice one. I'll check that out. I have a couple of King's/Cleobury recordings. The Bruckner Te Deum etc springs to mind -- obviously miles away from the Byrd ...

:santa:

Matt

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2226
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Britten, 3rd String Quartet -- a late work, hugely complex, in one of BB's favourite genres, with lots of nods to the Austro-German tradition. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britten-Complete-Quartets-The-Quartet/dp/B003BLFZFU

This really is in the top flight of 20th-century chamber music.

:santa:

Matt

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1456
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

John Taverner (c1490-1545) "Missa Gloria tibi Trinitas" - The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips recorded in the Chapel of Merton College, Oxford.  This was recorded to celebrate the 40th anniversay of the Tallis Scholars and is simply beautiful, geat singing in a great acoustic.  Gimell CDGIM 045

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

Crossie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 04/08/2009 - 13:08
Posts: 558
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Piano Sonata, Fantasy & Fugue on the theme B-A-C-H by Marc-Andre Hamelin and Franz Liszt

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2226
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Puccini -- La Rondine (Gheorghiu/Alagna/Pappano/LSO)

Puccini La Rondine

Relatively little known, this has some ravishing tunes in it, and the performances are outstanding.  And the sound quality ... oh boy! If you want to hear the dynamic range your system's capable of, put this on and crank up the volume.

:cheers:

Matt

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

James7's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 23 hours ago
Joined: 01/06/2011 - 16:35
Posts: 209
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

matt49 wrote:

I thought I'd give this a go:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Janacek-House-Dead-Czech-PO/dp/B000023YXI/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384300366&sr=1-5&keywords=from+the+house+of+the+dead

Janacek's From the House of the Dead done by Vaclav Neumann (good conductor) and a Czech band. But I can't help thinking it's utterly awful: plodding, clumsy, hammy singing. Oh dear!

So back to the canonical Mackerras VPO recording:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jan%C3%A1cek-House-Dead-L-Janacek/dp/B00DI5E6MC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1384300837&sr=1-1&keywords=from+the+house+of+the+dead

which is most wonderful: a superb recording of one of the 20th century's greatest operas.

:cheers:

Matt

Great call. Have listened to this recording twice in the last week. Exhilarating stuff.

meanwhile, I have also been listening to Brahms' Piano Quintet in F Minor. Brahms divides people it seems but personally I like a lot of Brahms' music and this is a not particularly well-known gem. I have a couple of versions and have listened to both this week but it is the Artemis Quartet with Leif Ove Andsnes version on Virgin that has particularly excited me. I am unfamiliar with the Artemis quartet otherwise but have been an admirer of Andsnes' incisively uncomplicated musicianship and the way he seems to so effortlessly cut to the emotional heart of the piece for years, and he is on top form here. The accompanying Schumann quintet is delivered with notable elegance too.

http://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Brahms-Piano-Quintets-Johannes/dp/B000UJ2NP6

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4209
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

The Pretenders - Don't Get Me Wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRaO9112mco

:grin:

Hi-Fi - Yamaha RX-V667 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 40 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2226
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

James7 wrote:

Great call. Have listened to this recording twice in the last week. Exhilarating stuff.

You might be interested to know that I use Act I for my speaker auditions.

James7 wrote:

meanwhile, I have also been listening to Brahms' Piano Quintet in F Minor. Brahms divides people it seems but personally I like a lot of Brahms' music and this is a not particularly well-known gem. I have a couple of versions and have listened to both this week but it is the Artemis Quartet with Leif Ove Andsnes version on Virgin that has particularly excited me. I am unfamiliar with the Artemis quartet otherwise but have been an admirer of Andsnes' incisively uncomplicated musicianship and the way he seems to so effortlessly cut to the emotional heart of the piece for years, and he is on top form here. The accompanying Schumann quintet is delivered with notable elegance too.

http://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Brahms-Piano-Quintets-Johannes/dp/B000UJ2NP6

Yes, big Brahms fan here, and I also have the Andsnes/Artemis version. Great stuff!

This train … carries saints and sinners / This train … carries losers and winners / This train … carries whores and gamblers / This train … carries lost souls.

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1456
RE: What classical music are you listening to?

Stephen Hough - Brahms Piano Concertos on Hyperion.

I was really looking forward to these as I'm a great admirer of Hough but I'm slightly disappointed.  There's nothing wrong with the playing and the recordings are excellent but the performances don't catch fire for me (2 is better than 1).  If you like your Brahms serious then maybe these are for you.  For me they are simply not as good as the recent Grimaux versions.

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

Pages

Log in or register to post comments