13278 posts / 0 new
Last post
MrReaper182's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/04/2014 - 14:09
Posts: 552
RE: What are you listening to?

I'm listening to The very best of country legend Kris Kristofferson. Country music at it's best. 

Sony 808 ES Amplifer, PSB imagine B bookshelf speakers, Pro-ject debut carbon turntable, Audiolab 8200 CD player, Pioneer N-50 streamer, Revox B77 1/2 reel to reel player, Sennheiser Momentun headphones and some Atlas cables.

Electro's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 30/03/2011 - 11:34
Posts: 1392
RE: What are you listening to?

Hooverphonics , With orchestra live .

This is very special Cd indeed ! My thanks to Vladimir for posting it on another thread Smile

Hooverphonic – Mad About You - Live at Koningin Elisabethzaal 2012

Hooverphonic – Eden - Live at Koningin Elisabethzaal 2012

 Electrocompaniet EMC 1 UP , Monarchy Audio DIP, Electrocompaniet ECD 1 dac , EC4.8 preamp , 2x AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers . Thousands of Cd's .

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2390
RE: What are you listening to?

I can never decide who my favourite male vocalist is, but this guy is up there in the top 3 for sure...

 

 

.. even at 70+ he's still releasing some really good music

 

.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

stevee1966's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 21/09/2007 - 16:23
Posts: 536
RE: What are you listening to?

Anathema - Distant Satellites

Roksan Caspian M2 CD --> Atlas Hyper Integra  --> Roksan Caspian M2 Integrated Amp  --> Atlas Hyper 2.0  --> Monitor Audio Silver RX6

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2390
RE: What are you listening to?

stevee1966 wrote:

Anathema - Distant Satellites

 

Spooky, so am I on Spotify!

 

What do you reckon?

 

.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1651
RE: What are you listening to?

Dan Auerbach singer / lead guitar / Black Keys( keep it hid )  brilliant solo album if you like the black keys this ones for you 

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2163
RE: Re: What are you listening to?

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Sonos Connect, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack, matching LS stands.

stevee1966's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 21/09/2007 - 16:23
Posts: 536
RE: What are you listening to?

DIB wrote:

stevee1966 wrote:

Anathema - Distant Satellites

 

Spooky, so am I on Spotify!

 

What do you reckon?

 

.

 

I like it. Think it flows effortlessly from start to finish. Maybe a bit too similar to Weather Systems (and maybe not quite as good) though the addition of the electronic and drum and bass type beats on the last couple of tracks is a welcome departure.

Played it quite a lo over the past few days  - may give the 5.1 mix a go tonight.

Also looking forward to Sunday when i'm off to see their acoustic gig in Gloucester Cathedral.

Roksan Caspian M2 CD --> Atlas Hyper Integra  --> Roksan Caspian M2 Integrated Amp  --> Atlas Hyper 2.0  --> Monitor Audio Silver RX6

Benzji's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 months 1 day ago
Joined: 12/07/2009 - 09:48
Posts: 12
RE: What are you listening to?

My Accuphase T1000 radio..   

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2390
RE: What are you listening to?

stevee1966 wrote:

DIB wrote:

stevee1966 wrote:

Anathema - Distant Satellites

 

Spooky, so am I on Spotify!

 

What do you reckon?

 

.

 

I like it. Think it flows effortlessly from start to finish. Maybe a bit too similar to Weather Systems (and maybe not quite as good) though the addition of the electronic and drum and bass type beats on the last couple of tracks is a welcome departure.

Played it quite a lo over the past few days  - may give the 5.1 mix a go tonight.

Also looking forward to Sunday when i'm off to see their acoustic gig in Gloucester Cathedral.

 

I quite like it too. I'm not familiar with this band, and this is the first album of their's that I have listened to. I had imagined them to be a much heavier/proggier band than this album would suggest. Have they changed their style significantly?

 

 

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

Macspur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 7 hours ago
Joined: 03/05/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 2163
RE: What are you listening to?

First Aid Kit – Stay Gold

Another lush recording from this band

Mac

www.macsmusicblogbubble.net

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Sonos Connect, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack, matching LS stands.

stevee1966's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 21/09/2007 - 16:23
Posts: 536
RE: What are you listening to?

DIB wrote:

stevee1966 wrote:

DIB wrote:

stevee1966 wrote:

Anathema - Distant Satellites

 Spooky, so am I on Spotify!

 What do you reckon?

 .

 I like it. Think it flows effortlessly from start to finish. Maybe a bit too similar to Weather Systems (and maybe not quite as good) though the addition of the electronic and drum and bass type beats on the last couple of tracks is a welcome departure.

Played it quite a lo over the past few days  - may give the 5.1 mix a go tonight.

Also looking forward to Sunday when i'm off to see their acoustic gig in Gloucester Cathedral.

 

I quite like it too. I'm not familiar with this band, and this is the first album of their's that I have listened to. I had imagined them to be a much heavier/proggier band than this album would suggest. Have they changed their style significantly?

  

Anathema over 20 years and 10 albums or so have changed totally. They started as a Doom Metal style band with death grunt vocals. This evolved (with the departure of their vocalist) to a different style on 'Alternative 4' and 'Judgement'. There is still a dark theme to the songs,and still some heavyness but it is far more accessible, with mellow touches (keyboards, strings etc) added. I like these 2 albums a lot.

After these albums, they changed slightly again with a more alternative sound on 'A Fine Day To Exit' and 'A Natural Disaster' - some songs remind me a bit of Radiohead.

Their last 3 albums (Were Here Because We're Here, Weather Systems and Distant Satelittes) are a different sound again, with a far greater input of female vocals from Lee Douglas, and are the Anathema of today. Some say a more prog style though i've yet to hear any 10 minute keyboard solos !!!.

Anathema are definately one of my favourite bands around at the moment.

Roksan Caspian M2 CD --> Atlas Hyper Integra  --> Roksan Caspian M2 Integrated Amp  --> Atlas Hyper 2.0  --> Monitor Audio Silver RX6

MrReaper182's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/04/2014 - 14:09
Posts: 552
RE: What are you listening to?

I'm just finished listening to the Swedish pop Album Robyn by Robyn. Great pop album which features Swedish electronic duo The Knife providing the music on most songs. There are some very catchy songs on the album like Bum like you, Who that's girl, Crash and burn and Should of known.This album is highly Rrecommend to all pop fans. 

Sony 808 ES Amplifer, PSB imagine B bookshelf speakers, Pro-ject debut carbon turntable, Audiolab 8200 CD player, Pioneer N-50 streamer, Revox B77 1/2 reel to reel player, Sennheiser Momentun headphones and some Atlas cables.

MrReaper182's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/04/2014 - 14:09
Posts: 552
RE: What are you listening to?

I'm now listening to more Swedish music. This time is it's the metal album The Haunted made do it by The Haunted. The Swedish Gothenburg scene has pumped out lots of awesome metal bands and The Haunted are one of those awesome bands. Great album.  

Sony 808 ES Amplifer, PSB imagine B bookshelf speakers, Pro-ject debut carbon turntable, Audiolab 8200 CD player, Pioneer N-50 streamer, Revox B77 1/2 reel to reel player, Sennheiser Momentun headphones and some Atlas cables.

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2390
RE: What are you listening to?

stevee1966 wrote:

DIB wrote:

stevee1966 wrote:

DIB wrote:

stevee1966 wrote:

Anathema - Distant Satellites

 Spooky, so am I on Spotify!

 What do you reckon?

 .

 I like it. Think it flows effortlessly from start to finish. Maybe a bit too similar to Weather Systems (and maybe not quite as good) though the addition of the electronic and drum and bass type beats on the last couple of tracks is a welcome departure.

Played it quite a lo over the past few days  - may give the 5.1 mix a go tonight.

Also looking forward to Sunday when i'm off to see their acoustic gig in Gloucester Cathedral.

 

I quite like it too. I'm not familiar with this band, and this is the first album of their's that I have listened to. I had imagined them to be a much heavier/proggier band than this album would suggest. Have they changed their style significantly?

 

Anathema over 20 years and 10 albums or so have changed totally. They started as a Doom Metal style band with death grunt vocals. This evolved (with the departure of their vocalist) to a different style on 'Alternative 4' and 'Judgement'. There is still a dark theme to the songs,and still some heavyness but it is far more accessible, with mellow touches (keyboards, strings etc) added. I like these 2 albums a lot.

After these albums, they changed slightly again with a more alternative sound on 'A Fine Day To Exit' and 'A Natural Disaster' - some songs remind me a bit of Radiohead.

Their last 3 albums (Were Here Because We're Here, Weather Systems and Distant Satelittes) are a different sound again, with a far greater input of female vocals from Lee Douglas, and are the Anathema of today. Some say a more prog style though i've yet to hear any 10 minute keyboard solos !!!.

Anathema are definately one of my favourite bands around at the moment.

 

Thanks for that Steve. I think I will investigate them further on Spotify in due course.

 

.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

Pages

Log in or register to post comments