66 posts / 0 new
Last post
PEAYEL's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 13/12/2008 - 16:56
Posts: 141
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

I agree about XTC. I have all their vinyl. I think I am going to have to put them through the Cyrus to see which is my favourite. An excuse for another few hours of indulgence and pleasure. Will report back by Sunday evening/Monday morning on my findings.

PEAYEL's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 13/12/2008 - 16:56
Posts: 141
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

I had my Sonos on random, and Sigue Sigue Sputnik came off the server and through the Cyrus. Now that's what I call dated, one for removal.

My wife just shouted the Nolans.

JohnE76's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 05/11/2011 - 10:03
Posts: 10
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

survivor wrote:

7760 wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Tell me what tracks/artists/albums haven't weathered too well.

That "Eurodance" stuff from the early 90s. Argh!  Smile  Also most things from S.A.W. ...

 

Well said. And let`s be honest, it`s not just that it sounds dated it was rubbish to begin with. Bad days.

Bad days? How rude! 

In my opinion the early 90's gave us some of the best dance music ever, and it still sounds as good now as it ever did. In fact I've even found an online radio station so I can listen 24/7 (90's dance classics if anyone's interested)

Big Chris's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/04/2008 - 10:03
Posts: 5552
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

John Duncan wrote:

Drummerdave wrote:

70s prog rock

No!

Double No!

 

'70s prog is pretty timeless, unlike the late '70s/ early '80s NWOBHM like Saxon, Judas Priest & Iron Maiden....... I'm not saying they're bad, but they have dated quite badly....

 

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1456
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

All rap music?

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

MrReaper182's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/04/2014 - 14:09
Posts: 552
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

Covenanter wrote:

All rap music?

Chris

No. A lot of todays top 40's rap music is rubbish and gangsta rap has for the most part always been not very good but look beyoned that stuff and your find like with all styles of music some good stuff. Stuff like Arrested Development, Mc lars, RUN-D.M.C., The Fat Boys, A Tribe Called Quest and Da La Soul to name but a few.  

Sony 808 ES Amplifer, PSB imagine B bookshelf speakers, Pro-ject debut carbon turntable, Audiolab 8200 CD player, Pioneer N-50 streamer, Revox B77 1/2 reel to reel player, Sennheiser Momentun headphones and some Atlas cables.

survivor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 31/03/2008 - 23:29
Posts: 1626
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

JohnE76 wrote:

survivor wrote:

7760 wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Tell me what tracks/artists/albums haven't weathered too well.

That "Eurodance" stuff from the early 90s. Argh!  Smile  Also most things from S.A.W. ...

 

Well said. And let`s be honest, it`s not just that it sounds dated it was rubbish to begin with. Bad days.

Bad days? How rude! 

In my opinion the early 90's gave us some of the best dance music ever, and it still sounds as good now as it ever did. In fact I've even found an online radio station so I can listen 24/7 (90's dance classics if anyone's interested)

Hi John, sorry about that!   Smile When I describe that period of time as `bad days` I`m not just referring to the music around then but the way it was promoted/enforced/monopolised. The narrow minded record companies and radio stations who helped to gradually weaken the industry so that a decade or so later even the government voiced concern that one of the UK`s formally reliable export products as in UK made music wasn`t selling abroad as it once had done. Loads of other stuff I won`t bore you with but you get the drift.

Nowadays we`ve got the internet  and a million radio stations. Only thing we haven`t got is enough hours in the day!

And of course if you like dance music then the early 90`s as you say were the good old days!

All the best.   :beer:

survivor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 day ago
Joined: 31/03/2008 - 23:29
Posts: 1626
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

MrReaper182 wrote:

Covenanter wrote:

All rap music?

Chris

No. A lot of todays top 40's rap music is rubbish and gangsta rap has for the most part always been not very good but look beyoned that stuff and your find like with all styles of music some good stuff. Stuff like Arrested Development, Mc lars, RUN-D.M.C., The Fat Boys, A Tribe Called Quest and Da La Soul to name but a few.  

Not a rap fan. However...in my old job we had a gym with a large tv that constantly played MTV. During Enimen`s prolific period I did grow to appreciate his music and the often clever/moving videos he used to promote them.

Sometimes you just need to spend a bit of time with something to learn to appreciate it. On the treadmill in front of the tv I was a captive audience and it worked I guess you could say.

Alantiggger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 14/10/2007 - 17:35
Posts: 1599
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

totaly as in Totaly disagree with you pp.

A most silly assumption to me tbh as I now find The Beatles, The Kinks and especially Stevie Wonder, dated these days.

Decent sounding tunes of The 80's still sound fab as today's adverts affirm.

You'll NOT here The Beatles,Kinks nor  Wee Stevie Wonder in today's adverts.

You WILL even hear Depeche Mode in quite a few football grounds though.

In my own opinion most of the fifty's and sixty's music have now almost died off.

Lots of Seventies and Eighties music will however whether you yourself     ( more to the point )   like the sounds or not.

A very self opinionated post this is pp.... shame on you      :poke:

 

LOADS of today's adverts on TV use eightie's music.

MrReaper182's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/04/2014 - 14:09
Posts: 552
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

survivor wrote:

MrReaper182 wrote:

Covenanter wrote:

All rap music?

Chris

No. A lot of todays top 40's rap music is rubbish and gangsta rap has for the most part always been not very good but look beyoned that stuff and your find like with all styles of music some good stuff. Stuff like Arrested Development, Mc lars, RUN-D.M.C., The Fat Boys, A Tribe Called Quest and Da La Soul to name but a few.  

Not a rap fan. However...in my old job we had a gym with a large tv that constantly played MTV. During Enimen`s prolific period I did grow to appreciate his music and the often clever/moving videos he used to promote them.

Sometimes you just need to spend a bit of time with something to learn to appreciate it. On the treadmill in front of the tv I was a captive audience and it worked I guess you could say.

I have never been a fan of Enimen, can not stand his music.  He would never have been has big as he was if he had not got endorsement from Dr Dre. Also I will never forgive him for bringing that god awful rapper 50 Cent to the limelight. Enimen is everything wrong with today's rap sence if you ask me.

Sony 808 ES Amplifer, PSB imagine B bookshelf speakers, Pro-ject debut carbon turntable, Audiolab 8200 CD player, Pioneer N-50 streamer, Revox B77 1/2 reel to reel player, Sennheiser Momentun headphones and some Atlas cables.

MrReaper182's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 06/04/2014 - 14:09
Posts: 552
RE: Music that hasn't

Alantiggger wrote:

totaly as in Totaly disagree with you pp.

A most silly assumption to me tbh as I now find The Beatles, The Kinks and especially Stevie Wonder, dated these days.

Decent sounding tunes of The 80's still sound fab as today's adverts affirm.

You'll NOT here The Beatles,Kinks nor  Wee Stevie Wonder in today's adverts.

You WILL even hear Depeche Mode in quite a few football grounds though.

In my own opinion most of the fifty's and sixty's music have now almost died off.

Lots of Seventies and Eighties music will however whether you yourself     ( more to the point )   like the sounds or not.

A very self opinionated post this is pp.... shame on you      :poke:

 

LOADS of today's adverts on TV use eightie's music.

The Beatles, The Kinks and Stevie Wonder will never sound dated. A decent sounding tune will always sound decent no matter if the tune was made in 1800's or yesterday. The decade a good tune was made is irrelevant as a good tune will always be a good tune.

Sony 808 ES Amplifer, PSB imagine B bookshelf speakers, Pro-ject debut carbon turntable, Audiolab 8200 CD player, Pioneer N-50 streamer, Revox B77 1/2 reel to reel player, Sennheiser Momentun headphones and some Atlas cables.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13178
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

Alantiggger wrote:
A most silly assumption to me tbh as I now find The Beatles, The Kinks and especially Stevie Wonder, dated these days.

Decent sounding tunes of The 80's still sound fab as today's adverts affirm.

You'll NOT here The Beatles,Kinks nor  Wee Stevie Wonder in today's adverts.

What an idiotic comment, you NEVER heard them in any adverts, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure The Beatles never allowed their music to be used in adverts, just like they've never allowed them to appear on compilation albums, so that's hardly a good benchmark to judge "quality" by.

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16436
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

The_Lhc wrote:

What an idiotic comment, you NEVER heard them in any adverts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79emCApQX4

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5841
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

And The Kinks are being used in a current advert, you just have to have know a bit about music to know it's The Kinks.

http://www.tvadmusic.co.uk/2014/05/george-at-asda-summer-2014/

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16436
RE: Music that hasn't dated too well

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Pages

Log in or register to post comments