166 posts / 0 new
Last post
6th.replicant's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 26/10/2007 - 18:16
Posts: 2981
RE: Covers that are better than the original

Paul Hobbs wrote:

6th.replicant wrote:

(As heard on the OST of The World's Most Depressing Film™.)

I don't recall hearing that tune in Requiem for a Dream? Wink

Which reminds me... 30 Seconds To Mars's version of Daft Punk's Stronger ain't bad  

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 6338
RE: Covers that are better than the original

Paul Hobbs wrote:

6th.replicant wrote:

(As heard on the OST of The World's Most Depressing Film™.)

I don't recall hearing that tune in Requiem for a Dream? Wink

You're right about Requiem For A Dream, just when you think they've reached rock bottom, it gets even worse.

I do love it though, great film. :rofl:

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4776
RE: Covers that are better than the original

def lugs wrote:
Imelda May - Tainted Love. Which is way better than Softcell's version.

+1

I'm glad I found this song it's a great cover. Thanks def lugs, I've been listening to it all week. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOgSdc8OAI

Hi-Fi - Nakamichi Dragon AV1 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

DIB
DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2458
RE: Covers that are better than the original

steve_1979 wrote:

def lugs wrote:
Imelda May - Tainted Love. Which is way better than Softcell's version.

+1

I'm glad I found this song it's a great cover. Thanks def lugs, I've been listening to it all week. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOgSdc8OAI

 

 

Which is a cover of a cover. Does that count?

 

The original version was by Gloria Jones and was a northern soul staple in the 60's/70's.

 

 

.

Creek 5350 amp, Creek Evo 2 CDP, SBT, Beresford Caiman Mk I DAC, Epos Elan 30, Pro-Ject 2Xperience Acryl with 2M Blue, various Van Damme & Mark Grant cables

gel
gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 14860
RE: Covers that are better than the original

steve_1979 wrote:

gel wrote:

G N R - Live And Let Diiiiieeeeeeee - oooohhhhh yeah!

+1 :rockout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D9vAItORgE

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDC6XqkYUEk

 

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yeah!  Followed by Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

 

:rockout:

AV System: LG 55EA980W OLED TV, Samsung F7500, Pioneer VSX-LX70, B&W FPM Series Speakers, B&W PV1 Subwoofer and Optimum AV300 Stand.

 

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4776
RE: Covers that are better than the original

DIB wrote:

steve_1979 wrote:

def lugs wrote:
Imelda May - Tainted Love. Which is way better than Softcell's version.

+1

I'm glad I found this song it's a great cover. Thanks def lugs, I've been listening to it all week. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOgSdc8OAI

Which is a cover of a cover. Does that count?

 

The original version was by Gloria Jones and was a northern soul staple in the 60's/70's.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Smile

The original sounds quite good but I prefer the cover versions better (Soft Cell, Marilyn Manson and Imelda May).

Hi-Fi - Nakamichi Dragon AV1 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4776
RE: Covers that are better than the original

gel wrote:

steve_1979 wrote:

gel wrote:

G N R - Live And Let Diiiiieeeeeeee - oooohhhhh yeah!

+1 :rockout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D9vAItORgE

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDC6XqkYUEk

 OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH yeah!  Followed by Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

 :rockout:

Guns n' Roses also did a good cover of the Rolling Stones song 'Sympathy For The Devil'. I'm not sure which version I prefer the most though as they are both exellent.

Hi-Fi - Nakamichi Dragon AV1 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4776
RE: Covers that are better than the original

When playing live gigs the Red Hot Chili Peppers often cover the exellent 1970's song 'Brandy' which was originally sung by a relatively unknown band called Looking Glass. It's such a funky sounding song that really suits the RHCPs style. Dirol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzA0g28Ue4

Hi-Fi - Nakamichi Dragon AV1 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Covers that are better than the original

steve_1979 wrote:

DIB wrote:

steve_1979 wrote:

def lugs wrote:
Imelda May - Tainted Love. Which is way better than Softcell's version.

+1

I'm glad I found this song it's a great cover. Thanks def lugs, I've been listening to it all week. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOgSdc8OAI

Which is a cover of a cover. Does that count?

 

The original version was by Gloria Jones and was a northern soul staple in the 60's/70's.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Smile

The original sounds quite good but I prefer the cover versions better (Soft Cell, Marilyn Manson and Imelda May).

 

so does that mean you prefer Soft Cells cover of 'What' as opposed to the Judy Street original, if so I'm not sure Northern Soul is for you.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Covers that are better than the original

Sorry if this is already here but,

 

This Mortal Coil's 'song to the siren' as opposed to Tim Buckley's original 

steve_1979's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 14/07/2010 - 21:04
Posts: 4776
RE: Covers that are better than the original

Ian64od wrote:
so does that mean you prefer Soft Cells cover of 'What' as opposed to the Judy Street original, if so I'm not sure Northern Soul is for you.

I prefer the original Judy Street version to the Soft Cell cover. They're both pretty awful though.

Hi-Fi - Nakamichi Dragon AV1 > AVI DM5 > AVI subwoofer

Head-Fi - Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2Di > Sennheisser HD700

Portable - Sony NWZ-A847 > Westone UM3x

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 6338
RE: Covers that are better than the original

Ian64od wrote:

Sorry if this is already here but,

 

This Mortal Coil's 'song to the siren' as opposed to Tim Buckley's original 

Could not agree more, absolutely beautiful

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

v1c
v1c's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 08/02/2009 - 18:10
Posts: 695
RE: Covers that are better than the original

Paul. wrote:

Tori Amos > The Stranglers   - Strange Little Girl

I'm going to labour this point NFW Original

Blondie Goldfinger

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 47 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13538
RE: Covers that are better than the original

Just because the phone has thrown it up three times this week:

St. Etienne's version of Stormtrooper in Drag from the Random album is a monster!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Covers that are better than the original

Suzanne - Nina Simone.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments