I bought my latest LG Smart TV in December.
I love the looks, picture quality, 3D, convenience of the magic remote etc...
Even the menus don't look too bad.
But what about the software .... !?!
Apart from the internet streaming apps like BBC iPlayer, the main purpose of a smart TV should be to integrate the media around the house.
To put simply, I want to be able to see my photos on the TV, coming from a NAS, e.g. via DNLA. And films (Having SONOS for a long time, music is not that important, especially considering proliferance of the various AirPlay devices)
Why is it so difficult to iron out the niggles, and get to a solution that really works ? Various freeware media streaming software packages (e.g. XBMC, Boxee) have lot more features, so why do we have to be stuck with such inferior software ?
As a software developer myself, I honestly can't think why the issues listed below should take them more than a couple of months of hard work (perhaps with the exclusion of the photo app integration, but even that is not a rocket science...)
- subtitle settings (e.g. size and position) are not remebered and I have to set them every single time I watch anything
- no favourites allowing quick access to a folder in the media library
- audio track selection does not work
- Smart Share should be accessible with 1 click of the remote, ideally jumping to a predefined place / favourite (compare to current keypress combination of Home, Smart Share, and then navigate to a folder)
- what are the aggregated Video, Photo and Music options ? Does anyone with even remotely extensive collection of photos or films want to see them all at once in one scrollable view ? I know I don;t hence I end up using the media server option, which forces me to navigate through a number of useless levels first (Video / By Folder / ... ) ...
- there does not seem to be a direct engagement anymore with the Plex guys, hence this feature seems to work less and less, i.e. my current Plex server is not even visible by MediaLink
- whether over Smart Share or something else, how about some slideshow options (look at AppleTV for insipiration, LG)
- perhaps support some most common picture management apps, like iPhoto, Aperture etc. ?
- quick access to the picture sets, i.e. favourites again ?
- again, photos should be accessible with one click from the remote
- now how about Flickr integration?
I haven't looked at Samsung, so I don;t know what the situation is there, but I'm thinking ... if the TV manufacturers don;t sort this stuff out, lot of people like me will turn instead to companies like Apple (eagerly awaiting their rumoured integrated TV solution).
I noticed that there is now some kind of media cooperation betwen WhatHifi and LG (How to Live?), so perhaps they will take in some feedback from the magazine...
Just my 2p