Have your say & ask the experts!

Which one of these 32" 100Hertz LCD is best

16 replies [Last post]
rogue212's picture

Hi, i recently bought a Sony Bravia 32KDLS3000 after doing a lot of research on which tv to buy in my price range, but i must admit it's been an expensive mistake and i will have to change it as i just can't stand the motion blur.

To say it irratates me is an under statement, i guess it wasn't until i watched many kinds of video, action dvd's, wildlife programes etc that i really understood the effect that motion blur can have.

One of my favourite movies that seems to be effected my motion blur is transformers, i find it hard to watch with the S3000 even in HD, i've seen cloverfield on my brothers top of the range Sony and the difference is amazing compared to watching it on the S3000, is this due to the motion flow or true 24fps.

I'm know looking at some 32" LCD's that have 100Hertz and motion flow variants and need advice on which one to buy as i'm worried about some of the problems these motion smoothing feature can cause and if these help with motion blur or just jadder as these are two different things.

These are some of the tv i've been looking at:

Samsung LE32A656
Samsung LN32A450 LCD
Panasonic TX-32LXD70
Panasonic TX-32LXD700
Panasonic TX32LXD85
Sony Bravia 32KDL D3000

I've read many reviews on how they all handle the motion blur problem but to give you an example why i need advice, the Panasonic TX-32LXD70 is said to have the best 100hertz motion feature: Motion Picture Pro and is now around the £500 mark, but here are some of the pro's and con's from a review:

Pros
Motion Picture Pro
Excellent default greyscale tracking
Well balanced and natural colours
Pristine images free from digital noise
Good viewing angle
Sharp pictures (but with a little haloing

Con's that worry me:
No backlight control
Motion Picture Pro can’t be switched off
Minor high pitched buzzing

No back light control, minor high pitched buzzing, well that puts me off but it sounds like a good tv.

The Sony Bravia 32KDL D3000 is said to be an excellent tv but has problems with it's motion flow, here's what worrying about it:

The high setting tends to introduce artifacts into the picture. These look like a little tear or glitch in the picture. They appear for just a fraction of second, but they are noticeable, the picture on the standard setting sometimes looks unnatural, too, particularly when the anti-judder suddenly kicks in during a fast pan and stabilizes objects moving across the screen.

I apologise for the long post but any help in choosing the best one for watching dvd's, movies, wildlife etc if any would be much appreciated as they all have there pro's and cons.

Would i be better off with a plasma?

Sean Davies's picture
Re: Which one of these 32" 100Hertz LCD is best

For what it's worth I have the Sony Bravia 32KDL D3000 in my bedroom.  In my opinion it is rubbish, I can't even be bothered to watch it.  The colours are not warm or natural, the picture quality is overly harsh and motion, such as watching football, is awful - a rolling indiscriminate mass of pixels all bleeding into each other!!

Even though it's the 100Hz model, I too made an expensive mistake in purchasing a Sony LCD

I have a Fujitsu plasma and a Sim2 D80E projector in the lounge so maybe I'm spoilt.  All I can say is have a very, very good look at them all - especially when showing any sport.  Personally, I haven't seen an LCD that can hold a candle to a good plasma screen such as a Fujitsu or Pioneer. 

In the end you choose what you like the look of BUT do not buy an LCD until you have compared to a high quality plasma.  I have done this test (in my home) and for me there is no comparison, I will never purchase an LCD again (I should also add that Sony's after sales service was appalling - the LCD panel needed replacing within 3 months of purchase and it took them over 2 months to replace it).

Hope this is helpful. 

rogue212's picture

Thanks for your opinion Sean, and for reading such a long post, i'm beginning to think about a plasma but i wanted to keep my tv to a 32".

When i bought my Sony i was interesred in a Sumsung plasma and asked the sale's assistant which was best, thinking because the Samsung was more expensive that i might get an informed anwser but was told that plasma's were inferior, seem's like they had old stock to clear.

I,ve seen these plasmas in my price range and have read some good reviews, the Panasonic "TH37PX80 or 85 models, are these a good tv's and is there a good 32" plasma out there. Do you know if the Panasonic TH37PX80PED is the same but has a stand?  thanks.

HappyAsLarry's picture

The Panasonic TX32LXD85 is £464.42 at Comet, using voucher codes 'SAVE10PAN' and 'YAW686' for a combined 15% off. Add in Quidco's cashback as well to get that final figure. It seems like a pretty good deal to me, but I've been able to find only one review so far.

rewerb's picture

user="rogue212" wrote:

I,ve seen these plasmas in my price range and have read some good reviews, the Panasonic "TH37PX80 or 85 models, are these a good tv's and is there a good 32" plasma out there. Do you know if the Panasonic TH37PX80PED is the same but has a stand?  thanks.

The only 37" plasmas are the Panasonic 37PX80 (around £570) and the slightly less spec'ed 37PX8 (around £500). They both come complete with pedestal stand. There are no 32" plasmas.

Ive got the Pani TX32LZD85 (Full HD) and im really pleased with it, there is no motion blur when it comes to handling fast moving action. Was gonna buy the TX32LXD85 cause loads of people were saying you cant discern Full HD on a 32" Panel but thats b*llox. Compared them both side buy side in store demo on same isolated full hd feed and theres a lot more detail visible on the full hd model, also colours were deeper, nice to  have a set that should be 'future proof' for a good few years also.

rogue212's picture

Hi again, and thanks for all your input, i've been checking prices etc of various models but there was just one other thing, do plasma have as sharper image as LCD.

I have read a couple of post where people have found the Panasonic TH-42PX80 not to be as good as there LCD tv they've replaced, so i'm still a bit lost with all the models and which is best.

Livers's picture

I really surprised to hear the Sony being trashed, it's been highly reviewed in all the mags including this one and never has it been viewed badly, are you sure you have messed up with the settings?

markmla's picture

hi i was going to buy the same sony but after looking at the panasonic lxd700 i went for the panasonic and all i can say its fantastic and cannot fault it in any way mark

rogue212's picture

No i havin't messed the settings up, the picture, colour, blacks, well the blacks could be better, can all be fantastic, until there's movement, or a fast action movie and the faster the action the worse the motion blur becomes which i just can't watch most of the time.

This mostly happens with film content, dvd's etc or when there's a pan shot and after a short period i do get eye strain, just like on a bad pc monitor.

My brother has the top of the range Sony LCD with motion flow and i have never experienced these problems when watching that and when i play a video file from my pc to my tv it's a lot better, this my be due to it running at 60 hertz instead of 50 but i'm not sure.

To lose or blur all that detail when anything moves, the reason i bought a HDTV in the first place, seems to me that this tv isn't that good and yes i read all the reviews which were great before i bought the tv and if it wasn't for this i would love the Sony.

I'm told that plasma tv's don't suffer from this as with CRT tv's and that many company's have there own way's of improving this problem, Sony's motion flow for example, and are working on better way's to improve this problem, 100 hertz, true 24fps play back etc with LCD tv's.

rogue212's picture

Hi markmla, i read some reviews of the Panasonic lxd70 which had some things that worried me and wondered if they had been improved with lxd700 as they are the same tv but the 700 has some improvements.

No backlight control
Motion Picture Pro can't be switched off
Minor high pitched buzzing

thanks.

Livers's picture

Going back to Sean's negative views of the D3000, I'd be interested to hear what the 'What HiFi' reviewers think as they gave it 5 stars when they reviewed it. Now, I accept that technology is moving very fast at the moment but to go from 5 stars to 'rubbish' in less than a year seems a tad extreme. I recommended this TV to my sister based on reviews and now I'm thinking, can I trust the reviews on here? Come on team, I think it's only fair you defend your score from that of an owner or am I reading too much into all this?

Andrew Everard's picture

All I can say is that we didn't experience these problems when we reviewed it, or they would have been mentioned in the review and reflected in the score.

It could be due to a weak TV signal, which is making the TV's error correction work harder, but I have to reiterate that we didn't experience these effects when testing the set.

Audio Editor, Gramophone

Andy Clough's picture

Well, all I can say is that I'm surprised Sean has had such a bad experience with the KDL-32D3000. When we tested it back in October last year there was no way we had the kind of problems he experienced, so I can only wonder if there's a fault with his set, it's not properly calibrated or the TV signal is poor.

The Sony delivered exceptionally sharp and punchy pictures in our test rooms with a variety of  source material. The only weaknesses we spotted were a slightly less stable image than the very best rival sets, and we'd have liked a tad more depth to the black levels.

But overall it was a cracking TV, even if a plasma will usually have the upper hand with regard to motion handling. But then again, no-one makes a 32in plasma, so LCD's your only choice at that screen size.

Andy Clough is Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Twitter @AndrewClough

Google+ Andy Clough

Rob H's picture

I have the TX32LXD85 and have been very pleased with it. There has been the occasional issue with motion blur, but mostly from poor quality panning shots on freeview. There was hardly a twitch during the BBC coverage of the football. The sound is good with noÿnoticeableÿbuzz or hum. I have no HD sources apart from my Mac, but The Matrix on DVD from an old Pioneer DV575 via component video lookedÿabsolutelyÿstunning.

ÿ

HappyAsLarry:
...The Panasonic TX32LXD85 is £464.42 at Comet...

It's shocking how quick the prices drop; I've had mine three weeks and I paid a lot more than that.. grumblegrumble Smile

Livers's picture

ITV's coverage of the Euro Champs on Sky (non HD) has been very poor (compression wise - the games have been great - Forza Auzzurri!). I'm watching via a standard CRT and thought that if I was watching it through a HDTV then I might have thought the problem was with the TV and not the source.