43 posts / 0 new
Last post
billybifocals's picture
Sunshine and Stella's

Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to MS Word, saved it on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in a safe deposit box, and I will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), then I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells.

aliEnRIK's picture
billybifocals wrote:

billybifocals wrote:

Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to MS Word, saved it on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in a safe deposit box, and I will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), then I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells.

Grade A troll

Series1boy's picture
This forum has not been

BIlly, this forum has not been designed for people like you to throw abuse at people who have a real and qualified oppinion.

suggest you take your bully boy antics somewhere else if you are not interested in contributing in a proactive format.

Living room: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated), Sky HD 1TB, Denon 3313UD, Denon 2113 AVR, Focal Chorus 716 5.1 speakers, iPad mini, iPhone 5s, Harmony Touch

Bedroom: Panasonic TH-46PZ85B plasma, Sky HD, Cambridge Audio DVD 57.

billybifocals's picture
Im not a troll, I dont

Im not a troll, I dont appreciate people ganging up on me and belittling my opinion, questioning absolutely everything I type and suggest. Sure im a scrub with my ps3 instead of having a standalone bluray player. I live by my means, Im not as fortunate as people with equipment ranging in the thousands.

The only person that has spoken to me like a human being on here is Glacialpath. Everybody else has given me grief for simply offering my own opinion and findings. Its ok because I'll just stop coming here for help and advice. This site only appears to be for the upperclass elitists. Isnt ganging up on someone and basically telling them to fuck off for offering their own opinions and views bullying? You sicken me.

grdunn123's picture
Guess the spam/expletive

Guess the spam/expletive filter isn't working! Getting back to the original post - I have a similar Samsung TV and I have experimented widely with the settings and 'Movie' mode is by far the best - have tried most of your settings Rik and they work well with a little tweaking for my own room variables.

jetman's picture
aliEnRIK wrote:I have very

aliEnRIK wrote:
I have very recently bought myself a Samsung UE48H6400 tv, of which I am VERY impressed with.I have calibrated the greyscale myself using the eye one sensor and perhaps some people may be interested in the results :Select MOVIE mode with WARM 2 for starters.Turn off all extra processing (contrast enhance etc)

White Balance 2 point

10% R+34 G0 B+25, 20% R+32 G0 B+36, 30% R+25 G0 B+36, 40% R+13 G0 B+43, 50% R+9 G0 B+45, 60% R+9 G0 B+43, 70% R+8 G0 B+34, 80% R+5 G0 B+32, 90% R+7 G0 B+38, 100% R+2 G0 B+34

Are you sure you've got that all written down correctly?  You've not given any 2 point values, but instead put the 10 point values...

jetman's picture
Glacialpath wrote:

Glacialpath wrote:

Aslo with the sharpness set so high you've added Croma to the picture that wasn't there in the first place. Sharpness in only there to be used for NTSC SD content and shouldn't be used for HD at all. Samsung video pannals have a tendency to out of focus when sharpness in on 0 so it should either be left on 50 (neutral) or about 5 to stop things looking fuzzy.

Are you sure that 50 is neutral (no artificial sharpness) on Samsung TVs?  Most reviewers recommend 0 for this setting, and many users favour a setting around 12 for sharpness... which appears to them to be neutral.

Also, it doesn't quite make sense to me that you recommend either 5, or 50 on the sharpness dial, but nowhere in between.  Thanks!   Smile

billybifocals's picture
Hi Jetman

On this particular Samsung TV, 50 on sharpness setting does indeed appear to be the Neutral setting. By lowering It down to zero I personally lose all fine detail.

Glacialpath's picture
jetman wrote:

jetman wrote:

Glacialpath wrote:

Aslo with the sharpness set so high you've added Croma to the picture that wasn't there in the first place. Sharpness in only there to be used for NTSC SD content and shouldn't be used for HD at all. Samsung video pannals have a tendency to out of focus when sharpness in on 0 so it should either be left on 50 (neutral) or about 5 to stop things looking fuzzy.

Are you sure that 50 is neutral (no artificial sharpness) on Samsung TVs?  Most reviewers recommend 0 for this setting, and many users favour a setting around 12 for sharpness... which appears to them to be neutral.

Also, it doesn't quite make sense to me that you recommend either 5, or 50 on the sharpness dial, but nowhere in between.  Thanks!   Smile

Hi Jetman. I've been setting up TVs for about 7 years now so have seen many models and makes. I even used to have a samsung.

I'm right in that there should be no need for sharpness on any TV accept for NTSC SD TVs and content.

However on all the Samsungs I've done some of them the neutral setting was 50 where anything below started to get fuzzy or 0 but I found the test patterns looked a little soft so I would bump the sharpness up to about 5.

When I set a screen up I do it form the viewing area but I also then go right up to the screen and tweak the setting to see if it improves. I don't trust my eyes to be perfect from a distance so if the picture detail still looks realistic 6 inches t a foot away from the screen then my setting are right.

Sharpness can look right from a distence because it gives the impression of amazing detail but I find if I look at a face in real life from the same kind of distance of the screen or at a distance that makes the face as close as a closeup on screen (magnifying detail) then you realize you don't actually see as much detail that the sharpness portrays thus it's fauls image.

I hope that makes sence.

Hi-Fi: Campridge audio D500 SE, DACMagic 1, C500, P500.. Monitor Audio BR1 speakers.

H-T: Pioneer; Kuro LX5090, BDP LX71, SC LX73. CA P500. SKY+HD. Rel Q50. Mordaunt Short Avant.

aliEnRIK's picture
jetman wrote:

jetman wrote:

aliEnRIK wrote:

White Balance 2 point

10% R+34 G0 B+25, 20% R+32 G0 B+36, 30% R+25 G0 B+36, 40% R+13 G0 B+43, 50% R+9 G0 B+45, 60% R+9 G0 B+43, 70% R+8 G0 B+34, 80% R+5 G0 B+32, 90% R+7 G0 B+38, 100% R+2 G0 B+34

Are you sure you've got that all written down correctly?  You've not given any 2 point values, but instead put the 10 point values...

You're quite right. It's the 10 point settings I posted. I do have 2 point settings for 3D mode. However, Im thinking I may recalibrate 2 and 10 point (To hopefully bring blacks under full control)

aliEnRIK's picture
grdunn123 wrote:

grdunn123 wrote:

Getting back to the original post - I have a similar Samsung TV and I have experimented widely with the settings and 'Movie' mode is by far the best - have tried most of your settings Rik and they work well with a little tweaking for my own room variables.

Cheers Smile

aliEnRIK's picture
billybifocals wrote:

billybifocals wrote:

Im not a troll, I dont appreciate people ganging up on me and belittling my opinion, questioning absolutely everything I type and suggest. Sure im a scrub with my ps3 instead of having a standalone bluray player. I live by my means, Im not as fortunate as people with equipment ranging in the thousands.

The only person that has spoken to me like a human being on here is Glacialpath. Everybody else has given me grief for simply offering my own opinion and findings. Its ok because I'll just stop coming here for help and advice. This site only appears to be for the upperclass elitists. Isnt ganging up on someone and basically telling them to f* off for offering their own opinions and views bullying? You sicken me.

I have certainly never meant anything bad about you having a PS3. Thats what I started with (And its very good as a player so far as I am concerned)
To be fair, you did start off by telling us all how movie mode is wrong and that in no way should I set sharpness to zero which is trampling all over my original post. By all means give your opinion, but to strike me down in your first post you can expect me to reply to that.
I can say I dont know many people on this site so im certainly not a part of the elite
Your last remark about it sickening you, sounds a little too troll like after the p-take post you made further back. Sorry

Anyhoo : no hard feelings from my end. Maybe its all just been a missunderstanding?
I am very curious about the sharpness setting. Have you updated the firmware?

Rik

Pages