The 50 inch is in stock:
Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV, Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad Air & iPhone 4S.
I don't see a 50 series Panasonic as an option; I simply refuse to go back there.
There are no reports of uniformity problems with the GT60 or VT65 at the moment, only the ST60. As the GT60 and VT65 use a newer panel, they may be free of the vertical banding issue; though I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little worried now.
There are small problems I wouldn't fret about, like a bit of dynamic false contouring, but noticeable stripes across one side of the screen are a more than minor problem in my view.
I may be sweating over nothing. As I say, nobody has reported problems with the VT65 at this stage, at least not to my knowledge. I'm just tired of messing about and constant disappointment.
Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)
Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112
Have to resist my temptation......have to resist my temptation....
My Home Cinema Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90
Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H
Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router
I think I may go for a 50VT65 assuming it would be the same as the 55'??
Yep the same.
£1700 for the vt65 looks the best deal by some way at present!
Just found another one with the same deal:
Check out this page too:
Think I'm going for the 50VT65 because, quite frankly, what other option is available? I'm hoping it'll be a relatively problem free TV. If not, I'll have a rethink.
I think I would get a refund and buy the GT60, but can you get it cheap with a five year warranty? Else you have to give John Lewis an extra £700 I guess?
This is a difficult one. Personally, given that JL have gone out of their way to keep you happy, they deserve continued custom. Besides, which other retailer will have the same amount of patience with returns if the GT60 also develops similar problems?
Not had time to follow TV threads for a few days, what are the details of these problems / any links?
I read about this over at AV and then found this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-t... (pp. 61-66)
As I say, I've seen no reports of problems with the GT60 or VT65. JL are calling me back soon as I was ready to buy at 50VT65 (as long as they price match Direct TVs). I'm honestly not sure what to do now.
At least I'm on safe ground buying from JL, in that I'll be able to get a refund/replacement. What bothers me is that there isn't a TV I can feel confident buying.
Ok, thanks strapped. I will be interested to see if these reports become more widespread, and indeed reach the uk.
HiFi / A/V / Bedroom
I know I could buy a GT60 from another retailer, but my heart's set on the VT65 for several reasons. I'm just hoping any banding issues are isolated to the ST60. (It would make sense, as the ST60 uses the same panel as last year's models, while the GT60 & VT65 use a new panel.)
I'm sticking with JL if I possibly can. I just need them to price match and I'll take the plunge, comforted by the knowledge that there's a 28 day cooling off period. It's the only solution I can think of that makes reasonable sense. I'm just hoping all will be good...
Im going to just exchange for the VT50 2012 as JL are matching it with RS. I can't afford to pay the additional £500 (Jl well refund me the £1200) .. I would have gone for the GT60, but JL aren;t going to be stocking that for some reason. Im i doing the right thing? Or is it worth me paying the extra cost?
Am i doing the right thing?
Good question. I'm about to call JL to arrange purchase of a 50VT65 (price matched at £1,699) and I'm wondering the same thing. Just waiting for the price match to be processed on their system, which takes half an hour.
I'm tired of messing about and don't want another 2012 model that'll likely have the same problems. All reports say screen uniformity on the VT65 is perfect; though it's early days, so who can say for certain. My purchase is a calculated risk, based on the relative likelihood of problems and desire to put this whole debacle behind me.
Sincerely hope the VT50 works out well for you.
© 2013 Haymarket Publishing