Have your say & ask the experts!

The best TV to buy for under £800 - Help Needed!

44 replies [Last post]
bigboss's picture
RE: The best TV to buy for under £800 - Help Needed!

Ok, Electronic Empire have a physical shop (not Total Digital):

Premier A/V Centre
105-109 Soho Road
Handsworth
Birmingham
West Midlands
B21 9SP

http://www.electronicempire.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=24&zenid=d...

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

gel
gel's picture

bigboss wrote:
Ok, Electronic Empire have a physical shop (not Total Digital): Premier A/V Centre 105-109 Soho Road Handsworth Birmingham West Midlands B21 9SP http://www.electronicempire.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=24&zenid=dijfi00cvro4617hio897enaf2

Nope, Total Digital is the same shop, and is a shop:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=q2olsc8...

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

rocketrazor's picture

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:
Ok, Electronic Empire have a physical shop (not Total Digital): Premier A/V Centre 105-109 Soho Road Handsworth Birmingham West Midlands B21 9SP http://www.electronicempire.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=24&zenid=dijfi00cvro4617hio897enaf2

out of interest do you have to live within a certain distance from the shop or even if you live over 100 miles away from it can you still get a price match? Ie I can't actually get there to buy an item from the shop so would JL still price match it?

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

gel
gel's picture

rocketrazor wrote:

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

out of interest do you have to live within a certain distance from the shop or even if you live over 100 miles away from it can you still get a price match? Ie I can't actually get there to buy an item from the shop so would JL still price match it?

Hi 

Yep, I live in Milton Keynes and got a price match.

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

bigboss's picture

As far as I'm aware, JL only checks if the shop is within 8 miles of a JL store (although they're known to be flexible).

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

gel
gel's picture

bigboss wrote:

As far as I'm aware, JL only checks if the shop is within 8 miles of a JL store (although they're known to be flexible).

Nope, they changed their policy a couple of years back, it was in the newspaper too.  I have done it about 6 times now since.

bigboss's picture

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Nope, they changed their policy a couple of years back, it was in the newspaper too.  I have done it about 6 times now since.

I didn't understand your post. What policy have they changed?

According to JL website:

http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/never-knowingly-undersol...

What do you mean by 'High Street Competitor'?

High street competitors trade on the same basis as us, with premises on a high street or comparable shopping destination freely open to the public in the UK mainland. They should carry a reasonable range of goods in stock for you to buy and take away, with clearly displayed prices. Their websites need to trade under the same brand and on the same basis as their high street shops.

Outlets which trade on a different basis to us, such as those that operate only on the internet or through mail-order, showrooms attached to internet-only companies, collection points, auction sites, factory outlets, membership clubs, duty-free shops, market stalls or home shopping channels, are not deemed equivalent high street competitors. We also don't match competitors who are in administration or closing down.

What do you mean by 'local area'?

We define our local area as an 8-mile radius from the John Lewis shop. Please ask the Customer Services department in your local John Lewis shop for more details if you're unsure.

gel
gel's picture

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

I didn't understand your post. What policy have they changed? According to JL website: http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/never-knowingly-undersol... What do you mean by 'High Street Competitor'? High street competitors trade on the same basis as us, with premises on a high street or comparable shopping destination freely open to the public in the UK mainland. They should carry a reasonable range of goods in stock for you to buy and take away, with clearly displayed prices. Their websites need to trade under the same brand and on the same basis as their high street shops. Outlets which trade on a different basis to us, such as those that operate only on the internet or through mail-order, showrooms attached to internet-only companies, collection points, auction sites, factory outlets, membership clubs, duty-free shops, market stalls or home shopping channels, are not deemed equivalent high street competitors. We also don't match competitors who are in administration or closing down. What do you mean by 'local area'? We define our local area as an 8-mile radius from the John Lewis shop. Please ask the Customer Services department in your local John Lewis shop for more details if you're unsure.

A couple of years back our John Lewis would only price match with our local shops like Richer Sounds in Milton Keynes - it had to be local.  They then said they would price match with any shop, as long as there was a shop.  No need for it to be local.

rocketrazor's picture

gel wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Hi 

cheers, ill remember this if I ever get my gt50 issue sorted. Think I might be using JL from now on

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

gel
gel's picture

rocketrazor wrote:

gel wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Hi 

cheers, ill remember this if I ever get my gt50 issue sorted. Think I might be using JL from now on

Yep, I used to have a lot of TV problems, all sorted when I started using John Lewis.

bigboss's picture

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

I didn't understand your post. What policy have they changed? According to JL website: http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/never-knowingly-undersol... What do you mean by 'High Street Competitor'? High street competitors trade on the same basis as us, with premises on a high street or comparable shopping destination freely open to the public in the UK mainland. They should carry a reasonable range of goods in stock for you to buy and take away, with clearly displayed prices. Their websites need to trade under the same brand and on the same basis as their high street shops. Outlets which trade on a different basis to us, such as those that operate only on the internet or through mail-order, showrooms attached to internet-only companies, collection points, auction sites, factory outlets, membership clubs, duty-free shops, market stalls or home shopping channels, are not deemed equivalent high street competitors. We also don't match competitors who are in administration or closing down. What do you mean by 'local area'? We define our local area as an 8-mile radius from the John Lewis shop. Please ask the Customer Services department in your local John Lewis shop for more details if you're unsure.

A couple of years back our John Lewis would only price match with our local shops like Richer Sounds in Milton Keynes - it had to be local.  They then said they would price match with any shop, as long as there was a shop.  No need for it to be local.

Yes, that's because they're flexible with their policy, and not because of any change in policy. Only 2 months ago, my mother-in-law asked John Lewis to price match a washer dryer with a shop in Lancaster. They refused.

The official policy is that price matches are only agreed within an eight mile radius of your nearest store. Beyond that, price matches are agreed at the individual store or department manager's discretion.

Unfortunately, there's little consistency across branches, hence I know of two people that agreed a price match with Ashton TV, while my request was refused. We all followed the same procedure to the letter and none of us lived remotely near Ashton TV. It's somewhat galling when others get a better deal for entirely arbitrary reasons.     

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

GSB
GSB's picture

If there is no distance price matching with your local store,why not buy from a store that is price matching nationaly...can this be done?

PanasonicTX-P46GT30B..Yamaha RX-A1010...Music Fidelity M3i...OPPO105EU...KEFR100/R200C/3001SE/HTB2SE...SkyHD2TB...QED Copper Speaker Cable /HDMI/Analogue...PS3...IPAD2

bigboss's picture

I only request price match through johnlewis.com. I don't know if it's decided by your local store or is there a central CS team. John Lewis takes a couple of days to respond to your price match request. If it was local, they could just check online while you're waiting to confirm the price match. So I think the decision is made centrally. I may be wrong though.

gel
gel's picture

I have done the price match on the phone with Milton Keynes and in store at Milton Keynes, I also phone up if the price is beaten within 28 days of purchase, and get some more money back.  Smile