Have your say & ask the experts!

samsung ps 518500 motion issue

20 replies [Last post]
camper 1's picture

mowerman

camper 1's picture
RE: samsung ps 518500 motion issue

post did not work . picture jitters .can anyone  help.

mowerman

I've read that pausing a DVD then pressing play causes judder a second or so after you resume the film. This also happens sometimes after a programme cuts to a new scene.

Is this what you're referring to?

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

grdunn123's picture

Don't have this tv but I'd check in 'picture' sub menu and turn off any motion 'enhancer' settings.

Samsung UE55F6510 LED TV, Pioneer SC-LX82, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Monitor Audio Radius 270 fronts, GSLCR centre. RXFX rears, Dali E12F Sub, Sky HD 1TB, Van Damme and QED cabling throughout,Xbox 360,Apple Ipad 3, LG G2 Smartphone

Son_of_SJ's picture

camper 1 wrote:

post did not work . picture jitters .can anyone  help.

The more information you provide, the more precisely people can help. Does the picture jitter when watching ordinary TV, or only when watching DVDs and Blu-Rays, etc. I've briefly seen your set in John Lewis, it looked fine, but then I wasn't watching it for jitter!

camper 1's picture

hi it mostly jitters when i am watching general tv, news etc.sometimes when someone moves their head the moement is not smooth.any suggestions welcome. thanks guys.

mowerman

Alantiggger's picture

camper 1 wrote:

hi it mostly jitters when i am watching general tv, news etc.sometimes when someone moves their head the moement is not smooth.any suggestions welcome. thanks guys.

As that wee meerkat would say, "simplz" ............ quit drinking       Tongue

Lounge :  Samsung PS51E6500, Sony BDP S790, Virgin media XL with HD Sports Channels (BT &Sky),  Yamaha RX-V673.

Tannoy Arena 5.1 with stands.(http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/tannoy-arena-96472/review)

Bedroom: Panasonic PX70 TV and a Sony BDP-370 Blu ray Player & Kitsound Boomdock.  (quite superb for sound)

So far  :)

Just to be clear, we're talking about judder rather than jitter. (They're not the same thing.)

What you describe doesn't sound like the very mild issue I've read about, so I'd agree with the poster above; disable all motion processing options to start with (these are often switched on by default when you first use the TV). Hopefully this will do the trick, though you might experiment with different processing options and see what suits you personally.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, it's best to disable motion processing on plasma TVs, as it causes more problems than it solves.

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

jog3004's picture

Hi, when you say normal tv, is it via tv inbuilt tuner or sky? I had issues with judder recently that only occured periodically & lasted a few seconds, it was the 4 year old sky hd+ box to blame, swapped box judder disappeared.

Samsung PS64F8500 (Calibrated), Oppo 105, Arcam AV9 Processor, Arcam P1 x 7, MJ Acoustics Subs x2, Sky HD, Cyrus 8SE CD + PSXR, B&W 800 series speakers x7, Logitech Harmony 1100 remote, Linn Classic & MA Bronze speakers, Graham Slee Solo UL, spitfire DAC, Pure i20, Denon d5000, b&w p5, pheaton ps400, Bose SIE2i headphones. denon Globe cruiser & Exercise Freak headphones, Iphone 5s, ipad 1 & 4, iPod classic, IPod Touch, Bose Soundlink & Sound dock Portable, Arcam rcube, geneva sound xs, B&O beosound 1, Wii U, Xbox360

camper 1's picture

hi guys thanks for all your comments.i have turned off the judder canceller and have not seen it since.[fingers crossed[i generally watch through a sky box but problem was on freeview as well.heres hoping. many thanks

mowerman

camper 1's picture
RE: samsung ps 518500

Hi guys, had to post this here, as i couldnt create a new topic for some reason!

Recently i noticed two white dots on my screen. John Lewis arranged for an engineer to call. Their TV repair agent phoned me to say there was no need to look at it first, we will order a new screen. By the time they arrived I had realized this was light permeating through the vent holes in the back. I pointed this out but the engineer was intent on changing the screen saying that it was probably a problem with the screen (changing the screen did not solve this). My big problem is, however, despite using my original settings and various alternatives the picture is inferior on the new panel. On complaining to JL the repair company sent a different engineer who had no idea why the screen had been changed, as this was not going to solve the original problem. Despite my repeatedly telling him how the picture was so inferior to the previous panel he told me this could not be possible as all panels were identical. He kept enthusing how the picture was superior to his (Loewe), he would happily take my screen home, and there was nothing he could do as it was not faulty. And this was reported to John Lewis. John Lewis have told me that as there is no perceived fault and we are in the first year of the guarantee, this is down to Samsung. After protestation the repair company on JL's request have agreed to have the TV in for testing. In my opinion the picture is not now commensurate with the TV at this price level. Any comments guys?

mowerman

gel
gel's picture

camper 1 wrote:

Hi guys, had to post this here, as i couldnt create a new topic for some reason!

Recently i noticed two white dots on my screen. John Lewis arranged for an engineer to call. Their TV repair agent phoned me to say there was no need to look at it first, we will order a new screen. By the time they arrived I had realized this was light permeating through the vent holes in the back. I pointed this out but the engineer was intent on changing the screen saying that it was probably a problem with the screen (changing the screen did not solve this). My big problem is, however, despite using my original settings and various alternatives the picture is inferior on the new panel. On complaining to JL the repair company sent a different engineer who had no idea why the screen had been changed, as this was not going to solve the original problem. Despite my repeatedly telling him how the picture was so inferior to the previous panel he told me this could not be possible as all panels were identical. He kept enthusing how the picture was superior to his (Loewe), he would happily take my screen home, and there was nothing he could do as it was not faulty. And this was reported to John Lewis. John Lewis have told me that as there is no perceived fault and we are in the first year of the guarantee, this is down to Samsung. After protestation the repair company on JL's request have agreed to have the TV in for testing. In my opinion the picture is not now commensurate with the TV at this price level. Any comments guys?

Wow, not good news.  I would talk to a manager in John Lewis and demand what you would like to happen.

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

camper 1's picture

cheers gel, just to give you a sense of confidence in the engineer that visited, he said he had never heard of calibrating a tv ,but if you did it would ruin the board[?]. an d invalidate the warranty.Top man.

mowerman

simonlewis's picture

Not true, the engineer was talking out his backside.

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

camper 1's picture

c.heers simon ,i realised he was.When he first arrived he said"wheres this line on your screen mate"I replied"theres never been  a line on the screen.He was so unaware of the latest tvs smart hub etc.HE WAS TRULY HOPELESS.

mowerman

That's odd.

Can you be more specific about how the picture is now inferior?