100 posts / 0 new
Last post
strapped for cash's picture
RE: Samsung HU8500 Curved Ultra HD 4K LED TV Review now online

Paul. wrote:

Blacks aren't everything though. 

This is certainly true, but I still regard black level as the most important aspect of picture quality, since it's the foundation on which other aspects of performance are built. Both colour depth and dynamism suffer when MLL is compromised.

78records's picture

Living in a lighthouse, as I do, these curved TVs are an absolute boon.

The flat ones don't fit on the wall properly.

Son_of_SJ's picture

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Son_of_SJ wrote:

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

I've never got the curved screen thing for TVs. Firstly, the whole of the screen of a TV is in focus. Secondly, it narrows the viewing angle, and thirdly, unless you're sitting close enough to be at the focal point of the curve, you'll get no benefit whatsoever!

Sorry David, I'm certainly with you in spirit on this one, I think that curved TVs are for people with NO FRIENDS, because the sweet spot is apparently not wide enough to accommodate even two people! However, in the context of the rest of what you say, is there a word or words missing from your second sentence, which I've put in bold? :?

No word missing. I just meant that with a flat TV, the whole screen is always in focus.

So "flat" between "a" and "TV" was the missing word!  :wave: It did rather need to be present!

Son_of_SJ's picture

78records wrote:

Do you make much money at your comedy shows?

bigboss's picture

To be honest strapped, I'm not that *nal about these numbers. I'm not as hard to please as you. I actually enjoy watching TV! Smile

Steve Withers has commended the black levels, that's enough for me. I'm in no mood to dissect numbers.

gel's picture

Son_of_SJ wrote:

78records wrote:

Do you make much money at your comedy shows?

:grin:

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

bigboss wrote:

To be honest strapped, I'm not that *nal about these numbers. I'm not as hard to please as you. I actually enjoy watching TV! Smile

You're of course right.

I'm quite the robot and have no interest in films and television programmes on an artistic level. I watch television from a purely technical standpoint. (A smiley after a veiled insult doesn't help, by the way.)

bigboss wrote:

Steve Withers has commended the black levels, that's enough for me.

Though those numbers relate to performance. This whole discussion started from me highlighting possible inconsistencies in the AVF review. I couldn't have discussed this matter further without reference to numbers. All I've done above is stated things that are broadly true, with the caveat that I haven't seen this specific television in action.

bigboss wrote:

I'm in no mood to dissect numbers.

If you'd advised me of your mood earlier I would have left the thread alone. I know now, so I'll discuss the matter with you no more.

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

You're of course right.

I'm quite the robot and have no interest in films and television programmes on an artistic level. I watch television from a purely technical standpoint. (A smiley after a veiled insult doesn't help, by the way.)

It wasn't an insult at all. I've never ever read a single post of yours where you've said you've enjoyed watching TV. It's either about technical flaws in your TV or flaws in any film. I'm sure even you know you're overly critical of things. I do sometimes wonder if you enjoy anything.

bigboss wrote:

It wasn't an insult at all. I do sometimes wonder if you enjoy anything.

Thanks for insulting me again.

At least I've had the decency to apologise when I've said something that's offended you. I can't recall a single occasion when you've done the same.

bigboss wrote:

I've never ever read a single post of yours where you've said you've enjoyed watching TV. It's either about technical flaws in your TV or flaws in any film. I'm sure even you know you're overly critical of things.

To state that every post of mine is negative isn't really fair. I fear I'm being caricatured here. I love lots of films; and I've discussed some of these films in glowing terms on this forum.

We have quite different tastes, however. Perhaps comments I've made that have stuck in your mind relate to films you've enjoyed that haven't grabbed me so much.

As an addendum to the above, I'll acknowledge that I'm a pedant; but that doesn't mean I lead a joyless existence.

Son_of_SJ's picture

Sweetness and light, boys.

I quite enjoy watching films AND ordinary TV on my calibrated but much-maligned LG 60PZ950T plasma TV in the kitchen, which looks very good even with standard definition material like Freeview channel 38, Quest, and even though its black levels remain well dodgy! But I expect that I'd enjoy this new curved 4K LED Samsung even more, apart from the curved bit ....

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

Thanks for insulting me again.

At least I've had the decency to apologise when I've said something that's offended you. I can't recall a single occasion when you've done the same.

I apologise if you feel I've insulted you. It wasn't my intention at all. I can now say that you're calling me indecent. Smile

I'm simply stating my observations to you. It's upto you how you take it.

theflyingwasp's picture

Yes c'mon now chaps ,too cool things down let's talk about cheap v expensive hdmi cables...........or perhaps the numerous times we've all gotten our gentlemans area stuck in electrical equipment ...........

bigboss wrote:

I apologise if you feel I've insulted you. It wasn't my intention at all. I can now say that you're calling me indecent. Smile

I'm simply stating my observations to you. It's upto you how you take it.

That's not an apology at all, since you're stating that it's all down to my interpretation. Your posts above were of course entirely benign.

Never mind. No point in waiting for something that'll never come.

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

That's not an apology at all, since you're stating that it's all down to my interpretation. Your posts above were of course entirely benign.

Never mind. No point in waiting for something that'll never come.

As I said, my intention wasn't to insult you. That's your interpretation. I apologise if you felt that way. I honestly don't know what else should I apologise for.

Pages