Have your say & ask the experts!

Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

260 replies [Last post]
gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 12823
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

gel wrote:

Guess all we need then is:

 

 

Try again!

 

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.  Dab Radio: Roberts DreamTime.  Headphones: Soundmagic P21.

It's all about the sound and vision.  

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 12823
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

Anyone up for a petition?

 

I am sure we could get lots of votes.

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.  Dab Radio: Roberts DreamTime.  Headphones: Soundmagic P21.

It's all about the sound and vision.  

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 12649
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

gel wrote:

Anyone up for a petition?

 

I am sure we could get lots of votes.

Petition for what? Improving sound? It's impossible, given the preference for slimmer TVs. Speakers need airspace within the cabinet to sound decent.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 3365
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

Anyone up for a petition?

 

I am sure we could get lots of votes.

Petition for what? Improving sound? It's impossible, given the preference for slimmer TVs. Speakers need airspace within the cabinet to sound decent.

See this thread.

__________________

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 3365
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

Personally i like red, like they used to do.

__________________

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2932
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

Isn't it metal not grey  plastic?  I would wait until you see it in person before judging.  May look pants who knows, I just remember seeing those leaked photos of the iPhone 4 and thought it looked rubbish, but in person it was delightful.

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2550
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

I quite like the industrial grey look...am I the only one then? Makes a change from the almost universal black boxes out there and would blend in with most set ups imo.

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 3365
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

I've seen metal rimmed tv's before & they look quite nice,

__________________

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4454
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

Based on what I've read, which essentially means a couple of owners' thoughts over on AVS, buzzing isn't audible unless you stick your head round the back of the TV. 

Sorry Gel, but it doesn't come in black. I like the gun metal grey look. The V20 has this finish and I prefered it to the glossy black GT50. I though mine looked really classy.

Owners have reported very temporary IR (this clears within a couple of mins at most). Hopefully this is a non issue, as Samsung plasmas have performed better in this area than Panasonic plasmas in recent years. See this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cn...

 

To be honest, there's only so much you can take from new owner reports, since they haven't lived with the TV for long. In addition, new owners of an expensive plasma TV are likely to offer comments that justify their expensive purchase. 

All that said, I'm still thinking this is the one. If someone dropped another two grand through my letterbox, I'd start considering the ZT65. I'm guessing that's not going to happen...

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4454
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

Paul. wrote:

Mine does, but only if you go to Hoth...

excellent!

 

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 12823
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

strapped for cash wrote:

Based on what I've read, which essentially means a couple of owners' thoughts over on AVS, buzzing isn't audible unless you stick your head round the back of the TV. 

Sorry Gel, but it doesn't come in black. I like the gun metal grey look. The V20 has this finish and I prefered it to the glossy black GT50. I though mine looked really classy.

Owners have reported very temporary IR (this clears within a couple of mins at most). Hopefully this is a non issue, as Samsung plasmas have performed better in this area than Panasonic plasmas in recent years. See this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cn...

 

To be honest, there's only so much you can take from new owner reports, since they haven't lived with the TV for long. In addition, new owners of an expensive plasma TV are likely to offer comments that justify their expensive purchase. 

All that said, I'm still thinking this is the one. If someone dropped another two grand through my letterbox, I'd start considering the ZT65. I'm guessing that's not going to happen...

 

That is good news on the buzzing side of things.  Just hope my call for a petition for them to change the colour in the next few years works.  Smile

 

At the moment very happy with my GT50 still, but in a couple of years who knows.  Asked in John Lewis today did they have any Samsung plasmas on pre-order, but got told nothing yet, but suspected they might be getting the cheaper plasma one, the 6500 I think but was not sure about the flagship.  Not sure how reliable this info is though.  Smile

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.  Dab Radio: Roberts DreamTime.  Headphones: Soundmagic P21.

It's all about the sound and vision.  

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4454
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

Hi Gel,

Cheers for asking. There isn't a Samsing 6 series plasma this year -- it's either budget or flagship. For me, that means F8500 or Panasonic.

Since this year's plasmas aren't on sale yet, it's looking increasingly like I'll need to get a refund and live without a TV for a while.

I want to audition the F8500 and ST60 side-by-side. I might also consider the VT60, depending on price and performance. If I go Panasonic, I want a 55" TV. I might have to flog my subwoofer, but this doesn't get any use, so I'll hardly miss it.

I read another F8500 pro-cal review today that just gave the nod to the VT50. There's so little between mid-to-high-end plasma TVs now that the decision will come down to which TV has the least irritating quirks. I could very happily live without the 50Hz bug, so if the F8500 does a better job with motion and other differences are impossible to see by eye, I'll take the TV that can correctly display 50Hz content.

I'm watching the England game right now. Still not enjoying the vertical bands...

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2550
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

strapped for cash wrote:

Hi Gel,

Cheers for asking. There isn't a Samsing 6 series plasma this year -- it's either budget or flagship. For me, that means F8500 or Panasonic.

Since this year's plasmas aren't on sale yet, it's looking increasingly like I'll need to get a refund and live without a TV for a while.

I want to audition the F8500 and ST60 side-by-side. I might also consider the VT60, depending on price and performance. If I go Panasonic, I want a 55" TV. I might have to flog my subwoofer, but this doesn't get any use, so I'll hardly miss it.

I read another F8500 pro-cal review today that just gave the nod to the VT50. There's so little between mid-to-high-end plasma TVs now that the decision will come down to which TV has the least irritating quirks. I could very happily live without the 50Hz bug, so if the F8500 does a better job with motion and other differences are impossible to see by eye, I'll take the TV that can correctly display 50Hz content.

I'm watching the England game right now. Still not enjoying the vertical bands...

Strapped I can't beleive you are seriously considering another Panasonic plasma...what has changed your mind after all the issues with the GT50??

You are right about the refund though, I can't see any other way forward with still no info regarding release dates of any of this years sets and despite the hassle of not having a tv for a while it will give you the extra time to weigh up your choices and audition for yourself. The 50hz bug really annoyed me on my GT30 and most of all with sport and gaming, I can't beleive this bug has gone on for so long with Panasonic plasmas and I have my doubts it will be resolved this year either.

On the other hand most tvs have some sort of issue or quirk so it can be a case of choosing the one with least evils or what one best suits and you can live with despite the issues. I would still favour the Samsung personally over any Panasonic plasma simply because of the numbers of reported issues over at least the last 3 years, I think it's well worth considering the reliability factor in your decision too and we both know Panasonic haven't been great in this area of late.

I don't envy your position because on the one hand you must be biting at the bit to replace the GT50 but on the other hand you are sitting right at the start of the next wave of tvs with all the uncertainties that brings, taking your time may well be the best way forward and try to resist jumping in too early??

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4454
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

Oldboy wrote:

Strapped I can't beleive you are seriously considering another Panasonic plasma...what has changed your mind after all the issues with the GT50??

I'm not ruling anything out at this stage. I hoped the F8500 would be notably better than last year's plasmas. Based on the information that's trickling in, the F8500 is very much on a par with with VT50.

Meanwhile, I've read positive things about the ST60, such as the inclusion of a 10 point colour management system in its most adjustable picture mode. The possibility of getting a 55" TV is also a factor. Since I'd be paying a premium for the F8500, if there's visibly no difference between that and the ST60, it makes sense to get the larger screen and save money.

I know how to test for uniformity problems and it seems I'll be able to arrange a meet with a pro-calibrator to do side-by-side testing of this year's plasma TVs. I honestly want to keep an open mind. My main gripe with the GT50 is of course the dirty screen effect. As long as this year's Panasonic plasmas are free from this issue, they'll remain on my radar.

It's really going to come down to the audition. I'd like to get this all over and done with as soon as possible. I'm simply looking for a TV I enjoy watching, rather than feeling my heart sink each time I turn it on...

 

 

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 6267
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

What is the likely price of the 55st60 v the likely price of the 51" Samsung?

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom