261 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nick_Shepherd's picture
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

'Plasmas will die out when the sales fall & manufacturers don't make any money from it'

true, but what will the trigger for the drop in sales be?

bigboss's picture

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

'Plasmas will die out when the sales fall & manufacturers don't make any money from it'

true, but what will the trigger for the drop in sales be?

Panasonic exiting the TV business.  :?

strapped for cash's picture

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

what will the trigger for the drop in sales be?

Plasma will cease to be a desirable technology when viable OLED TVs match plasma price points.

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Plasma will cease to be a desirable technology when viable OLED TVs match plasma price points.

....and that.

bigboss wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

....and that.

That's the future sorted. Now I need to find a TV to fill the gap...

Nick_Shepherd's picture

I'm going to try a third GT50 and if not happy, go for a GT60 if reviews say its as good as the GT50.....I won't stretch to the Samsung as its likely to be 2k give or take.....

BenLaw's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Don't we also need to wait 5-10 years to see if the colour stays right? (Or whatever the possible problem is that I can't remember properly!)

Yeah, there's that whole blue diode thing to consider as well.

I'm working on the basis that we'll know if this is a problem by the time I can afford an OLED TV. Who knows at this stage what problems will need sorting.

Engineers have certainly had long enough to hone LED and plasma tech and we're still in a mess with both. It's enough to make you ditch the hobby, almost. There's always the false promise that the perfect television is a little further down the line...

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture

CRT anyone?

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

CRT anyone?

Now that's an idea!

My parents have a 40" LED TV in the living room and a 28" CRT in the study. The living room set hardly gets used, while they huddle round the CRT TV in the smaller room.

I'd like to say "with age comes wisdom," and there's probably some truth in that statement, but I couldn't go back to a smaller CRT TV.

Oldboy's picture

I'm a bit late to this thread as i've had limited access to the web of late but the promise of the F8500 is undeniable and seems to be ticking all the right boxes but when viewing the first YouTube video I could quite clearly hear some very loud buzzing coming from what I presume was the F8500 set as the noise was only audible when the camera got nearer to the screen. Now I'm not trying to pour cold water over the tv as I remain as interested as everyone else in this set but i've had loud buzzing from plasmas before so perhaps something to be wary of...did anyone else hear it or am I over reacting?

I'm extremely sceptical that any plasma tv will ever surpass the Kuro levels of performance and reliability, for me that was the pinnacle of plasma tech and chasing those levels seems beyond the current manufacturers. In terms of performance Panasonic have got close but reliability has been where they have fallen down when compared to the Kuro range and if i'm not mistaken were Pioneer actually making a substantial loss on every tv sold? That begs the question as to at what price point a genuine kuro killer would cost these days, so perhaps even at £2000 for the 51 inch version the F8500 represents great value if the tv has the performance and reliability of a Kuro (or even just gets close enough).

From what i've gleamed from this thread and the other sources i'm sure the rest of you have seen this tv does seem to have the best chance in some time of genuinely challenging the legendary status of the Kuro and I for one will be keeping a close eye out for a review or even better the opinions of strapped should he be lucky enough to secure one before the end of the month (hope you do strapped as it's been a long rocky road for you up to now).

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Cheers Oldboy. I feel I'm due a bit of luck.

I recall your long and rocky road with a series of TVs, so I'm sure you understand my frustration.

As excited as I am by the F8500, I won't make a rash decision and I'll thoroughly audition before parting with more money.

On the buzzing front, others have said the same thing. The strange thing is, I can't hear it, even if I turn my laptop's volume way up. To be fair, my laptop's integrated speakers are awful, so perhaps this is why.

When I finally audition the F8500, I'll keep my ears and eyes open for buzzing and brightness pops.

rocketrazor's picture

Hi Strapped,

The brightness pop you refer to above is that the same as the Panasonic G20's had, ie all of a sudden for no reason the screens brightness or contrast gets higher for a split second and then sets back to normal?

Cheers

Rocket

Hi Rocketrazor,

As I understand it, yes.

I had a V20, so I know exactly what you're referring to. I can't say whether this issue has been more or less severe on Samsung plasmas, as I've only glanced at Samsung TVs in stores.

If the brightness pops are no more distracting than on my V20, I'd consider it less of an issue than vertical bands.

Pindi's picture

The plasma in the first video looks suspiciously like a Kuro to me. :?

What's interesting about this video though is how the bottom two TVs are angled up towards the lighting, and how the F8500 is angled down away from the lighting. That's cheating, Samsung!

Pages