261 posts / 0 new
Last post
mr malarky's picture
RE: Samsung F8500 plasma anticipation thread

bigboss wrote:

It's actually tomorrow, but I won't be able to go. Friends from London have come over to spend the weekend with us.  :doh:

Just take them with you - tell them its a surprise group outing.  Smile

mr malarky's picture

mr malarky wrote:

Son_of_SJ wrote:

mr malarky wrote:

Think the 65" will actually be so big it's over-bearing in our current lounge.

How big (exact dimensions, please!) is your current lounge?

mr malarky wrote:

I may actually break with tradition and consult mrs m on this one!

Steady on, now!

Radical thinking, I know, but if I do end up choosing the behemoth then trust me, much better to get her buy-in first!

Apologies sosj, forgot to update you on this; I did try broaching the subject with mrs m, the conversation went as follows:

Me: "I've got a bit of a dillema about that new TV I've ordered..."

Mrs M: "unless your about to tell me you've cancelled the order I'm not interested".

Suffice to say I swiftly changed the subject at that stage!

Alantiggger's picture

Hehe, comedy genius.... nice           Smile

Son_of_SJ's picture

mr malarky wrote:

Apologies sosj, forgot to update you on this; I did try broaching the subject with mrs m, the conversation went as follows:

Me: "I've got a bit of a dillema about that new TV I've ordered..."

Mrs M: "unless your about to tell me you've cancelled the order I'm not interested".

Suffice to say I swiftly changed the subject at that stage!

Discretion was definitely the better part of valour! Smile

strapped for cash's picture

bigboss wrote:

It's actually tomorrow, but I won't be able to go. Friends from London have come over to spend the weekend with us.  :doh:

I'm guessing Son_of_SJ can take a copy of Blade Runner along to a retailer that stocks the F8500 and check for brightness pops during the appropriate scene.

Shame you couldn't make it to the TPS event. I was interested to hear how you thought new models compared with your 5090.

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

bigboss wrote:

I'm guessing Son_of_SJ can take a copy of Blade Runner along to a retailer that stocks the F8500 and check for brightness pops during the appropriate scene.

Shame you couldn't make it to the TPS event. I was interested to hear how you thought new models compared with your 5090.

KRP 500A.  Smile

Lots of guests at home to entertain, friends and in-laws. Walsall is 100 mins away, and the event is planned for the whole day. I would've loved to go. Sad

Son_of_SJ's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

Yes, I will, once I'm back from holiday. I leave tomorrow, back on Thursday 16th, and I probably won't be able to access much internet while I'm away. But when I do come back, I'll see if I can play Blade Runner in John Lewis or elsewhere. The only slight problem is, that the brightness pops are not so evident in shop lighting, and John Lewis is pretty bright ..... I'll ask them nicely and see if I can get them to turn down the lights very briefly during a quiet Tuesday afternoon or something.

strapped for cash wrote:

bigboss wrote:

KRP 500A.  Smile

Ooooh, pulling rank over us mere mortals who have only an LX5090, huh? Tongue out  'S okay, I would too!

bigboss's picture

Smile

Sorry, didn't mean to downgrade you! :oops:

Comparison with a KRP would have been more interesting, since they didn't have one set up at the Leicester event. A few AV members are suggesting the 600A on display wasn't performing optimally, at least compared with their KRPs at home.

It's all academic anyway, since I'm not about to buy a four year old TV with almost no warranty. TPS attendees seem to have concluded that the latest Panasonics are worthy successors to the Pioneers, even if the Pioneers still have the edge in some areas.

I stand by what I said last week. If you own a ninth generation Kuro or KRP, there's no clear reason to "upgrade," unless you want a bigger screen.  

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I think it is great for Samsung to get serious with plasma as it is never good to have any firm holding a monopoly on a product as pansonic has done. The F8500 with its magnum frame is great looking Tv. But it is not a reference product by most journalists reckoning.

bigboss's picture

Yes, I am in a strange situation. My original plan was to buy a projector, but with an impending new arrival, priorities have changed significantly. So I thought upgrading to a plasma will be better. Again, the only reasons for upgrade will be: 1) bigger screen, and 2) 3D.

I'll know of the ideal screen size only after I move, although there will be resistance from SWMBO who will argue that the current screen is 'big enough', and 3D will not cut mustard either.

gel's picture

bigboss wrote:

Yes, I am in a strange situation. My original plan was to buy a projector, but with an impending new arrival, priorities have changed significantly. So I thought upgrading to a plasma will be better. Again, the only reasons for upgrade will be: 1) bigger screen, and 2) 3D.

I'll know of the ideal screen size only after I move, although there will be resistance from SWMBO who will argue that the current screen is 'big enough', and 3D will not cut mustard either.

Did you go to Walsall, BB?

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

bigboss's picture

No I didn't, as I explained before. Have guests over from London.

bigboss wrote:
the only reasons for upgrade will be: 1) bigger screen, and 2) 3D.

With 3D, size really does matter. Letterboxed 3D films on a 50" screen lose a lot of impact. If you have any interest in 3D, I think the 65VT65 makes the most sense. (Actually a projector makes the most sense, but as you say, that's no longer an option.) 

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with the 50VT65. I could sit here and pick faults, but that would be pedantic in the extreme. It's a fantastic TV; and as you know, I'm difficult to please. 

Son_of_SJ's picture

bigboss wrote:

although there will be resistance from SWMBO who will argue that the current screen is 'big enough'

No, it isn't big enough when bigger (65VT65)  is available at a reasonable cost. If you do get the 65VT65 and set it next to your KRP500a, after a few days the 500a will start to look small. Tell SWMBO that a 50" screen in the kitchen wasn't big enough for me, hence the much-mailigned LG 60PZ950T being there. She'll ask if I have a wife, or a baby on the way though .....

Pages