Have your say & ask the experts!

Quick question regarding duel HDMI outputs on BluRay players and older AV receivers

5 replies [Last post]
PJ1200's picture
Offline
Joined: 4 Jan 2008
Posts: 228

I'm in the market for a new BluRay player, and thinking of the Sony S790 based on its award winning status.

It has 2 HDMI outputs, which is important as I have an older AV receiver (AVR) that is not 3D capable.  My new TV (Panna GT50) obviously is and I have purchased a separate HDMI cable to take advantage of a future BR players 3D capabilities.

My question is, how does this work?  Currently, all my equipment plugs into my AVR with one HDMI cable going into the HDMI 1 socket on the TV.  The inputs are controlled via the AVR.  If I plug one HDMI lead into the HDMI 2 input on my TV and the other end into the video out of the BluRay player, then feed another HDMI cable from the other output on the BluRay player to my amp (to play sound), how will the TV be able to show the 3D picture AND play the sound via my surround sound setup?

Does that make sense?  Obviously my TV will need to access both HDMI 1 AND 2 inputs at the same time, which it obviously it will not!?  Or is it a case that I'll have the AVR on and set to BluRay player and just have HDMI 2 on the TV?

Sorry for the stupid question!

__________________

HiFi: AVI ADM9.1 fed by Apple Airport Express (V2). 2 x Sonos Play 3 and Bridge

AV: Denon AVR-2310, KEF 3005, Sky HD, Apple TV2, Panasonic BD Player.

TV: Panasonic TX-P50GT50

Juzzie Wuzzie's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Sep 2007
Posts: 611
Dual HDMI outputs on BluRay players and older AV receivers

I think your second to last sentence is the answer - TV needs to think it is HDMI 2, and AV amp needs to think BluRay.  TV will take the picture and AV amp the sound.  I expect you'll need to turn off the 790 from sending sound via the HDMI to the TV as well (unless that is something you want).

__________________

Living Room: Samsung 40C7000; Oppo BDP-103EU; Onkyo SR308; Apple TV3; Airport Express; Sky HD+; Jamo A102 HSC5; Naim Nait 5i-2; Neat Iotas; Chord / Wireworld / QED / TCI interconnects and speaker wire; Harmony 550 universal remote; Tacima mains conditioner Portable: Shuffle (1G); iPad (1G); iPad Minil FiiO E1; AKG450; Grado SR60i; Sennheiser CX300II; custom Ultimate Ears Car: iPod Classic 120GB

The_Lhc's picture
Online
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12599
RE: Quick question regarding duel HDMI outputs

PJ1200 wrote:
how will the TV be able to show the 3D picture AND play the sound via my surround sound setup?

The TV doesn't play the sound, I don't see why you'd want it to either if you have a full AV setup.

PJ1200's picture
Offline
Joined: 4 Jan 2008
Posts: 228
RE: Quick question regarding duel HDMI outputs

The_Lhc wrote:

PJ1200 wrote:
how will the TV be able to show the 3D picture AND play the sound via my surround sound setup?

The TV doesn't play the sound, I don't see why you'd want it to either if you have a full AV setup.

Sorry - I knew I wasn't being clear! 

I don't want the sound coming out of the TV - as you state - I have a full set up for that.  Its just the sound is being dictated via the AVR and the picture via the BR player to the TV.  I think it is a case of having the TV set to HDMI 2 (to show the picture from the BR) and then having my AVR input set to the BR so that the sound that comes into the AVR is played (separately) via the speakers. 

I get it now - I think!

__________________

HiFi: AVI ADM9.1 fed by Apple Airport Express (V2). 2 x Sonos Play 3 and Bridge

AV: Denon AVR-2310, KEF 3005, Sky HD, Apple TV2, Panasonic BD Player.

TV: Panasonic TX-P50GT50

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 3070
RE: Quick question regarding duel HDMI outputs

PJ1200 wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

PJ1200 wrote:
how will the TV be able to show the 3D picture AND play the sound via my surround sound setup?

The TV doesn't play the sound, I don't see why you'd want it to either if you have a full AV setup.

Sorry - I knew I wasn't being clear! 

I don't want the sound coming out of the TV - as you state - I have a full set up for that.  Its just the sound is being dictated via the AVR and the picture via the BR player to the TV.  I think it is a case of having the TV set to HDMI 2 (to show the picture from the BR) and then having my AVR input set to the BR so that the sound that comes into the AVR is played (separately) via the speakers. 

I get it now - I think!

Correct !!!

__________________

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

eremis666666's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 Jul 2012
Posts: 52
RE: Dual HDMI outputs on BluRay players and older AV receivers

Just had a look at my settings, When you set the 790 up you have to choose if you want to use the duel hdmi or not and the sound is not sent on the hdmi cable which goes from blu ray to TV. It raised a question with me though, in the audio settings there is an option called  "downmix" and it says " Set whether to apply Dolby Surround to the output audio signal" you then have the choice of stereo or surround. I have an av receiver which delivers 5.1 surround sound which works fine. I currently have it set on stereo, I guessed the surround signal would be sorted by the amp so chose not to let the blu ray do it. Is that correct?

__________________

Some of this years latest, out of date technology.