Last post
bigboss's picture
RE: pioneer krp500a replacement ?

BenLaw wrote:

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:
Plasma: Samsung F8500 LED lit LCD: Samsung F8000

Agreed too.

But you just agreed with someone else saying don't buy Samsung!

:grin:

Stuart.W.D's picture

Sorry I'm a 28 year old guy with my own family i dont have time to be setting up multiple accounts. Just trying to give a different input to the thread in progress.

bigboss's picture

Sony W905 is a brilliant TV. Just make sure you're happy with viewing angles, as a few reviewers have commented on it. There are many happy customers who have no problems with it as well.

strapped for cash's picture

Stuart.W.D wrote:

Sorry I'm a 28 year old guy with my own family i dont have time to be setting up multiple accounts. Just trying to give a different input to the thread in progress.

Fair enough.

Stuart.W.D's picture

Yeah i agree anyone who wants this set should take in the viewing angles as most reviews say both 40" & 55" have poor viewing angles!!

I bought the 46" as this model doesnt suffer

gel's picture

BenLaw wrote:

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:
Plasma: Samsung F8500 LED lit LCD: Samsung F8000

Agreed too.

But you just agreed with someone else saying don't buy Samsung!

:grin:   I was just agreeing with the Panasonic comments, but think the Samsung plasma could be the way to go.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

mr malarky's picture

bigboss wrote:

Paul. wrote:

Keep the Kuro and buy a W905 for gaming.  Solved.   Blum 3

Aha, but it's a Kuro. I've not had any problems with gaming on mine even after 4 and a half years of use. Smile

Ditto, my old kuro 5090 was always fine with gaming, never once had any problems with IR. 

Far too early to say the same about the ZT (though overall I find the picture a slight improvement on the 5090, mainly in respect of colour reproduction, and the 3D performance, while rarely used, is stunning with BluRay).

ellisdj's picture

I saw the ZT yesterday only breifly - that's an amazing set - very different to the VT out of the box.

its incredibly clean its night and day better than Kuro.  It's my dad's so I will be calibrating it the same as my vt - it will be I.nteresting to see how the compare then but I think the vt is not going to compete 

its has that same ultra silly dark black out of the box as Kuro but with a LCD cleaness in the lighter scenes - I get the design now

i don't get the WHF review except for the sound as that is not very good

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, GXC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Custom Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

Panny 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO

Son_of_SJ's picture

Very interesting, ellisdj. Most, if not all, reviewers have NOT reported big differences between the ZT, VT and 9th-generation Kuro.

ellisdj's picture

I dont see where you have seen that Son of SJ - I go by my own experience, i was expecting little to no difference between the ZT and VT unless they were side by side.

took me all of 5 minutes to see big differences.  Once calibrated the story may be different as I have mentioned

Son_of_SJ's picture

ellisdj wrote:

I dont see where you have seen that Son of SJ - I go by my own experience, i was expecting little to no difference between the ZT and VT unless they were side by side.

took me all of 5 minutes to see big differences.  Once calibrated the story may be different as I have mentioned

I saw it for instance in Steve Withers's review of the 65VT65, which is here http://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-vt65-vt60-tx-p65vt65b-3d-plasma-tv-review.530 and indeed explicity from the review "The obvious question is how does the P65VT65 compare to the P60ZT65? We had an opportunity to compare the two models side by side and whilst we felt the ZT65's image was slightly better, the differences were so minor that we doubt most people would actually notice. The reality is that the P65VT65 can deliver fantastic pictures on a bigger screen for less money and that's a fairly compelling argument."

I'm quite prepared to accept that your experience of these two models may differ - you may be one of those people who DO notice the differences! Steve Withers also said when he was calibrating my Pioneer LX5090 that it still holds up compared to the latest Panasonics.

I should add that I myself have never seen a Panasonic 60ZT65, and have seen the 65VT65 only in John Lewis (where it looks very, very good, even when surrounded by LED-lit LCD sets).

ellisdj's picture

Son_of_SJ wrote:

ellisdj wrote:

I saw it for instance in Steve Withers's review of the 65VT65, which is here http://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-vt65-vt60-tx-p65vt65b-3d-plasma-tv-review.530 and indeed explicity from the review "The obvious question is how does the P65VT65 compare to the P60ZT65? We had an opportunity to compare the two models side by side and whilst we felt the ZT65's image was slightly better, the differences were so minor that we doubt most people would actually notice. The reality is that the P65VT65 can deliver fantastic pictures on a bigger screen for less money and that's a fairly compelling argument."

I'm quite prepared to accept that your experience of these two models may differ - you may be one of those people who DO notice the differences! Steve Withers also said when he was calibrating my Pioneer LX5090 that it still holds up compared to the latest Panasonics.

I should add that I myself have never seen a Panasonic 60ZT65, and have seen the 65VT65 only in John Lewis (where it looks very, very good, even when surrounded by LED-lit LCD sets).

its  those views that helped me make the decision to get the 65VT Over the ZT Which I had on order.

i thought you would need to be side by side to see the difference but you don't. What SW Is getting at is that the 65 is bigger with still stunning PQ - but the ZT Is better, is clearer and cleaner by my memory. I will calibrate the ZT soon, I have just done my 65VT using a new method for me.  I have got considerably better PQ than I had last time. I am looking forward to seeing what the ZT can do.

The Pioneer is still a good tv as it calibrates amazingly well with minimal controls with excellent blacks - but it's not near as clean mate, these new displays are quite a bit better. I am basing my judgement 50" vs 65"

m.j's picture

Had a look at a friends 55w905a at the weekend and thought it was very good, have also had an offer of £1400 for my Kuro.

Now I'm not sure what to do as I have seen the Sony for £1336 online. 

bigboss's picture

m.j wrote:

Had a look at a friends 55w905a at the weekend and thought it was very good, have also had an offer of £1400 for my Kuro.

Now I'm not sure what to do as I have seen the Sony for £1336 online. 

If someone offered £1400 for my Kuro, I would sell it. No matter how good the TV is, it's either out of warranty or will soon be. 

The_Lhc's picture

bigboss wrote:
If someone offered £1400 for my Kuro, I would sell it. No matter how good the TV is, it's either out of warranty or will soon be.

Err, really? I got 5 years on mine (from Pioneer), pretty sure I've still got at least a year left.

Either way I wouldn't buy a new Panasonic, far, far too many stories of them going wrong (not just stories either, work colleague has had problems with both of his, the second a replacement for the first).

Pages