12 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Philips 9704(40') calibration settings

Can anyone help with the settings for this size philips tv?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: Philips 9704(40') calibration settings

Hi,

I am new member to this forum and have only recently started to purchase this magazine (please forgive my naivety & ignorance). I recently purchased the 40" version of the Philips 9704 series TV based on the mags glowing review but I have been scouting the forum for an official run-down of the best settings used by the review team regarding this TV.

Therefore I was just wondering if the What Hi-Fi team could please post the settings they used for this TV up onto the forum or if somebody could let me know what they are in case I overlooked a post somewhere!?

Cheers,

Steve.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi.

I have also purchased the 9704 40' ,and would also like to know which settings the reviewers used.

I am really pleased with this TV,the picture quality is fantastic (I watch through Sky+) I have found altering the settings of my Sky box in its picture setup to RGB gives a sharper picture.The Natural motion is very impressive giving a sene of being their in real time.The sound is proberbly the best I have heard through a TV speakers.

Ok now just one little complaint with the TV. Whilst watching Blu Ray DVD (via a Samsung BD1580 player) having the TV's "perfect naural motion" swithced on I occasionally get (I think its called Picture Noise) a flickering/bluring around objects,especially people in fast action sequences.I have adjusted many of the settings on the TV and On the DVD player.Although only very minor, on a TV of this quality and price I feel this shoudn't happen.There are no problems when its switched off or watching through SKY+ box

I have spoken to Philips technical department,and while they are not aware of any issues they advise me to do a software update.Looking at the list of updates on their site none cover this problem.

Please dont be put buying this TV just what I have mentioned here,as It is a very minor thing that happens now and then,could even be my Blu Ray player thats is the problem.On the whole this TV is fantastic.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Anyone else find it vaguely suspicious that three single posters comprise the entirety of this thread...

D.J.KRIME's picture
Beta4Me:Anyone else find it vaguely suspicious that three single posters comprise the entirety of this thread...

Hmm

gel's picture

Confused

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Shaun41

I have had this TV for 2 months now and my settings for HDMI 1 (Humax input) are:

Smart Setting, Personal, Picture Settings: Contrast 77, Brightness, 63, Colour, 34, Hue (Not needed with PAL), Sharpness,0, Noise reduction,off, Tint, Normal, Light Sensor, off, Perfect Pixel Settings: Perfect natural motion, Max, 200Hz Clear LCD, On, Advanced sharpness, Off, Dynamic Contrast, Off, Dynamic Backlight, Best Picture, MPEG Artifact reduction Off, Colour Enhancement Off (Very important this setting)

This setting is for a Humax Freeview recorder. I have found that for each piece of equipment you need a slightly different setting for Contrast and brightness but the other settings are the same.

This TV is fantastic and the best on the market but I would highly recommend that you replace the mains connector  with a Russ Andrews Classic powerkord. It's expensive (£85) but really makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi.

Ok,what difference does the powerKord make then,does it produce less interference/static?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Surreyguy

If you log on to the Russ Andrews website www.russandrews.com it will answer all your questions. Basically these inter-connects remove Radio Frequency (R/F) interference from the mains supply. R/F tends to mess up the electronics in your equipment.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I have just purchased this TV and I am realy disappointed with the SD picture.  I watch SD through a Virgin V+ BOX. I haven't got a calibration disc yet, but will get DVE when I find the right region for sale.  I will also try the settings listed above when I get home.

On SD I find a lot of noise around any sort of movement - almost makes me want to go back to my 10 year old CRT TV.  Certainly I haven't seen a picture any better than LCD TV's at halk the price.  I did see the TV before buying it, but stupidly got drawn in to watching blu-ray discs in the demo room, and placed a lot of belief in the reviews that I had read.

Obviously the experts can't be wrong and I must have the set up wrong somewhere, but so far, by eye, I've been unable to get great results.

Can someone from WHF or if someone has calibrated the set already, list the best settings.  I can't help feeling I have spent far too much on a TV for day to day viewing.

Help!

Adrian  

PS Do you have the virgin box on 1080 or 1080 wide

TKratz's picture

Well, I am not one bit surprised...

Unfortunately Philips TVs usually have very poor out of the box settings. To make things even worse it is quite difficult to adjust the picture to something that is just almost correct.

It baffles me how little weight buyers put on out of the box settings. There is a huge difference between different models. I always recommend people to buy a TV with a THX option - unless of course you intend to get the TV professionally calibrated. This will ensure a good result.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

UPDATE.....

I found these settings for the 46 inch and used them on my 40 inch - an amazing change.

http://www.televisions.com/tvs/philips-televisions/philips-lcd-tvs/Philips-46-PFL-9704.php

Ignore everything I said before. The SD pictures look amazing, stunning everything I'd hoped they would be after I had read the reviews.

I have ordered a DVE calibration disc for good measure and will let you know if there is any further improvement.

Adrian