Have your say & ask the experts!

Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

392 replies [Last post]
rocketrazor's picture
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

I wonder if this is the same as our 805?

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-55w802a/4505-6482_7-35561934.html

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

Conservatory: Panasonic 42G20 and DMP-BD45EBK

rocketrazor's picture

gel wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

gel wrote:

I have purchased 8 TVs from John Lewis in the past 2-3 years, and only kept 2!  

blimey, they must love you  Smile

Smile  I have spent a fortune in there.  I buy all my electronics there.  And only two of those purchases were because I changed my mind!  Wink

i guess 3 of those were gt50's as well

Lounge: Panasonic (faulty but 'within specification') 50GT50, Mico DVD-A980 (multi region), Yamaha RX-V596RDS, Mission M74, M7C and M7DS speakers, Sony CDPXE570, Nintendo WIi, Sony PS3, Humax FOXSAT-HDR,

gel
gel's picture

rocketrazor wrote:

gel wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

gel wrote:

I have purchased 8 TVs from John Lewis in the past 2-3 years, and only kept 2!  

blimey, they must love you  Smile

Smile  I have spent a fortune in there.  I buy all my electronics there.  And only two of those purchases were because I changed my mind!  Wink

i guess 3 of those were gt50's as well

Yep!  

2 Sony 46 hx803 TVs, first one had a mark on the screen!  

Panasonic VT30 50 inch, it was rubbish!  A Samsung 46d8000 it was rubbish!  I think that is 7 actually!  Smile

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

rocketrazor's picture

47" review here

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bravia-kdl-47w805a_TV_review

input lag measured as only 6ms even though it uses lg screen! It's let down in other areas though such as black detail. Guess to comes up to a choice now, price, blacks, input lag etc

rocketrazor's picture

[/quote]

Yep!  

Panasonic VT30 50 inch, it was rubbish!  A Samsung 46d8000 it was rubbish!  I think that is 7 actually!  Smile

[/quote]

what did you tell JL when you sent the two rubbish ones back ?

gel
gel's picture

rocketrazor wrote:

Yep!  

[/quote]

what did you tell JL when you sent the two rubbish ones back ?

[/quote]

That is fine, could you try and box it for collection!  Smile  They sent me a letter after my purchase too, saying I could change my mind if I wanted to!  Laughing

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

Oldboy's picture

gel wrote:

Oldboy wrote:

gel wrote:

Oldboy, the Panasonic 55VT65 is calling you!  Wink

You are spot on with that gel...I can't help but think it's the best tv I can buy this year for PQ but the same old hang ups remain, my past experiences really are a huge barrier to me considering buying one and right now the head is ruling the heart. It would look nice in place of my HX853 though.... excellent!

Oldboy, the new Panasonics starting from the 50 series are leagues ahead of the past ones in picture quality, the difference is huge!  Just buy from John Lewis they will look after you.  They are nothing like a Richer Sounds!  You have about a month to change your mind, even after using it!  Then in the 5 year warranty they will fix any problems or give you a refund!  You can't lose.  Smile

I'm not listening....need to introduce some white noise into my head before you wear me down mate excellent!

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

Oldboy's picture

bigboss wrote:

Personally, I prefer passive 3D. It's difficult to notice any loss in resolution, and the comfort factor is extremely high. Let us know what you think of the demo.

Will do and will report back with what I thought of the 805 but judging by the review that rocketrazor linked to I doubt it will be too positive.

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Mobile Devices:

Oldboy's picture

gel wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

Is John Lewis's 28 day returns policy on anything, not only faults. Ie if you purchased sonys w8 got it home set It up and used it for 21 days watching 3d and playing games and found that the lag was to much and the 3d wasn't got enough could you return it? Is it a no quibble 28 day return?

Yes.  

That's great to know gel, many thanks for this info as it's not shown on the website that I could find, I presume this applies to online purchases as well as those via a store? I don't have a John Lewis store anywhere near me so I will be relying on an online purchase...the reasons to not purchase a 55VT65 seem to be diminishing by the day!

Living Room:

Bedroom:

Mobile Devices:

Oldboy's picture

rocketrazor wrote:

47" review here

input lag measured as only 6ms even though it uses lg screen! It's let down in other areas though such as black detail. Guess to comes up to a choice now, price, blacks, input lag etc

Not one for me judging by that review but good to know that I was right when I said the 8 series uses an LG IPS panel. A tv with black levels that poor isn't one for me and would be a massive step backwards from the tv I have now which is pointless, I will still demo one but I have a feeling it will quickly get dismissed but many thanks for the link.

The input lag on it is an eye opener but I would only really consider it as a dedicated gaming tv as I feel for movies I would feel very short changed judging by that review but I will still seek one out to judge for myself.

Living Room:

Bedroom:

Mobile Devices:

gel
gel's picture

Oldboy wrote:

gel wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

Is John Lewis's 28 day returns policy on anything, not only faults. Ie if you purchased sonys w8 got it home set It up and used it for 21 days watching 3d and playing games and found that the lag was to much and the 3d wasn't got enough could you return it? Is it a no quibble 28 day return?

Yes.  

That's great to know gel, many thanks for this info as it's not shown on the website that I could find, I presume this applies to online purchases as well as those via a store? I don't have a John Lewis store anywhere near me so I will be relying on an online purchase...the reasons to not purchase a 55VT65 seem to be diminishing by the day!

Yep.  And you just fill in the online price match form:

https://www.johnlewis.com/never-knowingly-undersold

And don't forget if that price is beaten up to 30 days afterwards they will refund that money too!  Smile

rocketrazor's picture

Oldboy wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

47" review here

Not one for me judging by that review but good to know that I was right when I said the 8 series uses an LG IPS panel. A tv with black levels that poor isn't one for me and would be a massive step backwards from the tv I have now which is pointless, I will still demo one but I have a feeling it will quickly get dismissed but many thanks for the link.

The input lag on it is an eye opener but I would only really consider it as a dedicated gaming tv as I feel for movies I would feel very short changed judging by that review but I will still seek one out to judge for myself.

The review even pointed out it was a step backwards, so would be interesting to see what you think of the W805 if you demo it against what you already have.

I think the more and more I look the more and more it points for me to stick to a 50" and see if I want the GT60 or VT65 if I can get it all sorted out with my retailer for replacement or money back on my 50GT50.  The Panny 55VT65 is just to big because of the bulky frame and is expensive for me, which is why I will also probably rule out the W905 and phillips, purely on cost.  Dont think I can convince the better half to spending over 2K on a TV.  Plus by sticking to a 50" it might allow me to justify a swap to OLED in 5-6 years time to get a 55" then.

Happy demoing Oldboy and keep us posted when you decide what to demo and how it goes.

Cheers

mr malarky's picture

[/quote]

.the reasons to not purchase a 55VT65 seem to be diminishing by the day!

[/quote]

Oldboy, if you went down the VT65 route I genuinely don't think you will find yourself disappointed - this years panasonic plasma's seem to be pretty much outstanding across the board and the VT especially so.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B (calibrated), Pioneer SC-LX75, Denon DPB-2012, Sky-HD1TB, PS4, Xbox 360, Apple-TV, Atacama Equinox AV stand, Monitor Audio Silver RX8, RXC, RX-FX, RXW-12, Anti-Mode 8033c Sub EQ. Kitchen: Pioneer XC-HM81, Monitor Audio Bronze BX2. Bedroom: Samsung UE37D6510, Samsung BD-C5900, Sky-HD, Pioneer N-50, Rotel RC-03 (pre-amp), Rotel RB-9708X (power-amp), Mordaunt-Short MS914

gel
gel's picture

And with John Lewis the warranty is transferable if you choose to sell it!  Smile

bigboss's picture

gel wrote:

And don't forget if that price is beaten up to 30 days afterwards they will refund that money too!  Smile

28 days.  Smile

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router