393 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2555
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

gel wrote:

Just noticed this deal:

 

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4847

 

And you get a free phone!  Not bad!   Cool

Thanks gel but I think the 805 is out of the picture as it's got a very different panel to that on the 905 and is, I beleive, an LG sourced panel with washed out colours and black levels inferior to my HX853 plus it's a passive 3D set. Of course I will wait for the reviews to come in before I rule it out completely but it's not looking good.

That deal is good but I would rather go for the W905 deal as it comes with a free top of the range Experia Z instead of the L model :grin:

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2555
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

rocketrazor wrote:

Oldboy wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

I'd be interested to know if what hi fi plan a review at all of the Sony 805a models.  I believe it's a different panel so lag may be higher but the viewing angle could be better. It's also £1000 cheaper than the 905a which makes a huge difference to negotiating with the wife Smile

I remember reading somewhere that the 805 uses an LG sourced panel, this explains the jump to passive 3D as Sony was always so against passive sets until these suddenly popped onto the radar and represents Sonys first passive 3D tvs. I wish I could remember the article where I got this info from but I do remember seeing that the performance of these tvs was significantly down on last years HX853 range but it would be great to get an opinion from WHF so hopefully they get one in for review soon.

an lg panel  :cry: oh dear.  That means its not going to be a gaming tv unless they have made some significant steps forward in that respect. Lg have always been 'lagging' behind. ROFL sorry couldn't help myself

Nice one! ROFL

I don't think the 805 will be a good tv for anyone let alone gamers, with an LG panel the signs are far from promising and the step down to passive 3D will likely cause an issue for Sony engineers who have no experience of the tech. I think it's pretty much a given that black levels will be far from good which is shame when you look at the massive strides taken with the HX853 range...it would seem Sony is taking a massive step backwards with this years 8 series. Who on earth made that ridiculous decision??

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

I definately would advise confirmed certainly as to what panel the W8 series from Sony uses.  When I was at Sony Centre Bromley I saw the W9 and W8 side by side and  till I saw the triluminous feed on the W9, I could not tell one from the other.A more expensive model doesn't mean it is aways better the top panasonic Led set did less well than lower models(what hi fi.....Av forum reviews)

So watch out for the W8! Surprises awaits.....it could cause  a big upset! :quest:

If you do not want trilumious colours,many reviewers don't think much of it...... then the W9 would be an unncessary expense. I only went for W905 because I believe in Triluminous. I don't cliam the W905 is that much better than the Hx853......

Choose wisely. :O

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12910
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Oldboy, the Panasonic 55VT65 is calling you!   Wink

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2555
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

z058261 wrote:

I definately would advise confirmed certainly as to what panel the W8 series from Sony uses.  When I was at Sony Centre Bromley I saw the W9 and W8 side by side and  till I saw the triluminous feed on the W9, I could not tell one from the other.A more expensive model doesn't mean it is aways better the top panasonic Led set did less well than lower models(what hi fi.....Av forum reviews)

So watch out for the W8! Surprises awaits.....it could cause  a big upset! :quest:

If you do not want trilumious colours,many reviewers don't think much of it...... then the W9 would be an unncessary expense. I only went for W905 because I believe in Triluminous. I don't cliam the W905 is that much better than the Hx853......

Choose wisely. :O

As I said earlier I'm not discounting ANY tv on my list until I have been able to audition them all for myself, reviews are just my starting point to get a list together. The only problem with the 8 series is that it's a passive 3D set...i've invested in a large 3D disc collection so it's quite important to me now and i'm not sure I could take the step backwards in resolution that passive 3D incurs when compared to a full HD 3D tv. It's quite possibly a deal breaker if the passive 3D lacks the quality i'm used to but again careful auditioning is my plan.

As i've stated before triluminous holds no interest to me and I can see this going the way of the extra yellow colour that Sharp added to RGB a couple of years ago ie die a quiet death and never be heard of again. It's commendable that Sony have tried something different this year and are pushing some new tech but I don't think it will catch on judging by the reviews of the tech so it doesn't interest me, it's the quality of the W905's picture that interests me most and not the next gimmick added to sell more tvs.

It's great to hear that you were impressed with the 8 series but that enthusiasm needs to be tempered a little as you have seen it in showroom conditions so until they have been tested by reviewers I won't get too excitied, I'm going to make an effort to find the source that mentioned the 8 series has an LG panel and as soon as I find it I will post it. Of course it's just a panel and it's up to the engineers to make the most of it so perhaps the Sony engineers have managed to make the most of the panel they have been given.

I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews of the 8 series now Smile

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2555
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

gel wrote:

Oldboy, the Panasonic 55VT65 is calling you!   Wink

You are spot on with that gel...I can't help but think it's the best tv I can buy this year for PQ but the same old hang ups remain, my past experiences really are a huge barrier to me considering buying one and right now the head is ruling the heart. It would look nice in place of my HX853 though.... :grin:

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12910
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Oldboy wrote:

gel wrote:

Oldboy, the Panasonic 55VT65 is calling you!   Wink

You are spot on with that gel...I can't help but think it's the best tv I can buy this year for PQ but the same old hang ups remain, my past experiences really are a huge barrier to me considering buying one and right now the head is ruling the heart. It would look nice in place of my HX853 though.... :grin:

 

Oldboy, the new Panasonics starting from the 50 series are leagues ahead of the past ones in picture quality, the difference is huge!  Just buy from John Lewis they will look after you.  They are nothing like a Richer Sounds!  You have about a month to change your mind, even after using it!  Then in the 5 year warranty they will fix any problems or give you a refund!  You can't lose.   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12910
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

And it is leagues ahead of the competition in picture quality!  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12811
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Oldboy wrote:

As I said earlier I'm not discounting ANY tv on my list until I have been able to audition them all for myself, reviews are just my starting point to get a list together. The only problem with the 8 series is that it's a passive 3D set...i've invested in a large 3D disc collection so it's quite important to me now and i'm not sure I could take the step backwards in resolution that passive 3D incurs when compared to a full HD 3D tv. It's quite possibly a deal breaker if the passive 3D lacks the quality i'm used to but again careful auditioning is my plan.

Personally, I prefer passive 3D. It's difficult to notice any loss in resolution, and the comfort factor is extremely high. Let us know what you think of the demo.

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 12/12/2009 - 17:29
Posts: 793
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Is John Lewis's 28 day returns policy on anything, not only faults. Ie if you purchased sonys w8 got it home set It up and used it for 21 days watching 3d and playing games and found that the lag was to much and the 3d wasn't got enough could you return it? Is it a no quibble 28 day return?

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12910
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

rocketrazor wrote:

Is John Lewis's 28 day returns policy on anything, not only faults. Ie if you purchased sonys w8 got it home set It up and used it for 21 days watching 3d and playing games and found that the lag was to much and the 3d wasn't got enough could you return it? Is it a no quibble 28 day return?

 

Yes.  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12910
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

I have purchased 8 TVs from John Lewis in the past 2-3 years, and only kept 2!  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 12/12/2009 - 17:29
Posts: 793
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

gel wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

Is John Lewis's 28 day returns policy on anything, not only faults. Ie if you purchased sonys w8 got it home set It up and used it for 21 days watching 3d and playing games and found that the lag was to much and the 3d wasn't got enough could you return it? Is it a no quibble 28 day return?

 

Yes.  

that might help in making a decision then. Good to know that is available if your not happy for any reason.  Think I'd be inclined to take a punt on the w8 if it looked ok at demos and see what it's like once home.  Then if its no good you can purchase the more expensive models from Sony or Panasonic. 

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 12/12/2009 - 17:29
Posts: 793
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

gel wrote:

I have purchased 8 TVs from John Lewis in the past 2-3 years, and only kept 2!  

blimey, they must love you  Smile

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12910
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

rocketrazor wrote:

gel wrote:

I have purchased 8 TVs from John Lewis in the past 2-3 years, and only kept 2!  

blimey, they must love you  Smile

 

Smile  I have spent a fortune in there.  I buy all my electronics there.  And only two of those purchases were because I changed my mind!   Wink

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments