393 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

PFL8008 has viewing angle problem according to digital versus website.......well I never......oops! Hey what Hi Fi should you not deduct a star in your review....as you did with the Sony.  >)

Viewing angles:

Philips 1.5 out of 5 score. Sony gets 1.6 out of 5

:roll:

You can't trust any one review OK.....professional bias is inevitable....but when you read a whole lot of them.....they do not sync.....creating confusion.  :rant:

I read this entire thread and refrained from commenting till now.......does any one really know what they are talking about??  :read: If the pros can't agree???

Oldboy, ....read the professional  review you like......ignore what you don't like as I did then choose your TV Or better still keep your HX 853 

I am having a great day reading this thread......keep the points coming in.....sorry trying not to gloat

gel's picture

z058261 wrote:

PFL8008 has viewing angle problem according to digital versus website.......well I never......oops! Hey what Hi Fi should you not deduct a star in your review....as you did with the Sony.  >)

Viewing angles:

You can't trust any one review OK.....professional bias is inevitable....but when you read a whole lot of them.....they do not sync.....creating confusion.  :rant:

I read this entire thread and refrained from commenting till now.......does any one really know what they are talking about??  :read: If the pros can't agree???

Oldboy, ....read the professional  review you like......ignore what you don't like as I did then choose your TV Or better still keep your HX 853 

I am having a great day reading this thread......keep the points coming in.....sorry trying not to gloat

Talk to the hand!   :hand:

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel's picture

I think I would purchase the Panasonic VT65 and this time recommend buying it from John Lewis, that way if you get any issues you know that they will sort it.  

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Oldboy's picture

z058261 wrote:

Viewing angles:

I had been waiting for your input after you bought the W905, as you know it has gone on my audition list after your comments but I must admit I still have concerns over the viewing angle but it's certainly not being ruled out.

As I said earlier in the thread it's so hard to get a good understanding of the relative pros and cons from reviews as they vary so wildly, WHF made no mention of a limited viewing angle for the Philips like they did with the Sony for example but as you point out digital versus points to it having the same issue. All I can do is keep looking at the various reviews and know the pros and cons of each set before I audition them and make my own mind up from there, yes reviewers can have an agenda which is why in general I pay more attention to WHF reviews than any other source as they have never let me down...any kit I have bought based on a review by WHF has left me very happy. Perhaps I should stick with it and trust them when it comes to the next tv I buy.

The ideal situation for me would be to just have a 55 inch HX853 but I haven't had the money available until very recently and now you simply can't buy one new but I was expecting the 2013 sets to be better than they seem to be, so far it's not been a great year which is why the 55VT65 is very much on my radar now as it does seem like the tv to beat this year but my reluctance to buy another Panasonic plasma remains.

Going to give it more time to decide what i'm going to do and just audition 4 or 5 tvs and take it from there Smile

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Oldboy's picture

gel wrote:

I think I would purchase the Panasonic VT65 and this time recommend buying it from John Lewis, that way if you get any issues you know that they will sort it.  

That's very much on my mind gel but i'm so reluctant to go through all that again...sets going backwards and forwards, being without tv for weeks on end etc like last time. My trust in Panasonic to deliver a tv that works correctly first time is non existant as you know but then I keep hoping things may have changed this year, right now the VT65 seems the logical choice but previous experience keeps ringing alarm bells in my head.

If I were to get a VT65 it would be through John Lewis as I would feel comfortable I could get any issues resolved quickly with no hassle but i'm going to bide my time for now, might even save some money as prices fall over time.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Oldboy wrote:

z058261 wrote:

Viewing angles:

I had been waiting for your input after you bought the W905, as you know it has gone on my audition list after your comments but I must admit I still have concerns over the viewing angle but it's certainly not being ruled out.

As I said earlier in the thread it's so hard to get a good understanding of the relative pros and cons from reviews as they vary so wildly, WHF made no mention of a limited viewing angle for the Philips like they did with the Sony for example but as you point out digital versus points to it having the same issue. All I can do is keep looking at the various reviews and know the pros and cons of each set before I audition them and make my own mind up from there, yes reviewers can have an agenda which is why in general I pay more attention to WHF reviews than any other source as they have never let me down...any kit I have bought based on a review by WHF has left me very happy. Perhaps I should stick with it and trust them when it comes to the next tv I buy.

The ideal situation for me would be to just have a 55 inch HX853 but I haven't had the money available until very recently and now you simply can't buy one new but I was expecting the 2013 sets to be better than they seem to be, so far it's not been a great year which is why the 55VT65 is very much on my radar now as it does seem like the tv to beat this year but my reluctance to buy another Panasonic plasma remains.

Going to give it more time to decide what i'm going to do and just audition 4 or 5 tvs and take it from there Smile

Oldboy,

The duff 55 inch LEDs TVs this year.....mmm....are the LG, and Panasonics using IPS PC panels.Ridiculously poor contrast levels!   

There are no perfect TV especially with LED backlit ones. If backlight issues like DSE,Clouding, Patches and pooling of light worries you then the Samsung F8000/F8500 LEDs would be more favourable, Samsung cliamed they got those problems licked?  

I am a gamer from the days of owing  the LCD Z and W series of TVs Sony and so see no reason to change, I am loyal to my A/V  brand as to my wet shaver. If you have been happy with theHX853 then Sony's W9 is even better. Don't get too bog down with the clouding issues from what digital versus have to say, as I know you are sensative to it from your post years ago when the clouding issue aflicted the W5000 series, lead to a star been docked from what Hi Fi reviews

FYI, one of the ways I tested the back light consistency of my W9 is to put  a Hi res DSLR image of a full length person bathed in 'hair' light in pitch black background. I turned my room lights off  to view the picture and behold it was perfect like in the studio.I did not see no clouding or patches of light in the black.The experience was better than on the HX853. Blacks were deepest of what is out there! Now that isn't the ultimate scientific test but to me it was my deciding  test criteria. Now if I pause my BR player and screen goes black and  see some uneven blackness that would not perturb me. The higher that backlight is cranked up(max) say in 3d in pause mode the more the unevenness can be seen. But I don't spent time viewing a black screen on pause so.....it is irrelevant to me.  

Also  bear in mind that the back light inconsistency or consistency will vary in every LED of what ever model or make. You could not audition each one till you are satified it is impractical.It is a bit of a lottery.   

The Philips 8008 as you know is a copy of last years  and is no five star TV, the back cover is plastic for a 2k TV???? Alleged poor viewing angles (proved by evidence),model looks are dull. The 9000 series is Philips top daddy TV with full array dimming and I respect that TV highly but it mucked up on 3D badly so it is not mentioned anymore. 

The Samsung is your best bet! You get that LED feel to the picture but you know What Hi fi has very correctly talked down the sharpness and its contrast handling.

HDTV test say the 46 inch model is even better...oh god.....go over there and read that 46 inch review.

Finally, I could not buy a Panny Plasma due to fan noises,buzzing issues,image retention, customer service etc and having to get the best from it only in  a dark room.Howard Hughes might have brough one. I need my day time TV viewing to be as good as night time.

rocketrazor's picture

I'd be interested to know if what hi fi plan a review at all of the Sony 805a models.  I believe it's a different panel so lag may be higher but the viewing angle could be better. It's also £1000 cheaper than the 905a which makes a huge difference to negotiating with the wife Smile

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

rocketrazor wrote:

I'd be interested to know if what hi fi plan a review at all of the Sony 805a models.  I believe it's a different panel so lag may be higher but the viewing angle could be better. It's also £1000 cheaper than the 905a which makes a huge difference to negotiating with the wife Smile

The W805 probably use  the same variant panel as the W9 - made by Samsung...hahaha...what an irony....when is a Sony not a Samsung?

When I inspected the W8 in John Lewis  the picture feed was a cracker! 

Differences-

W8 has a less posh stand

Thicker plaster back,

No triluminous colours

Only 400hz motion

Passive glasseses - no simucast support

On the viewing angle....depends who(review) you ask and compare to what TV....we will have to see.??? But only if you can see it as an issue - it becames an issue - trust your eyes. 

Oldboy's picture

z058261,

I'm sure LG use their own in house panels for their tvs but I've no idea what panel varients they are using this year, Panasonic I have no idea about though but would presume they outsource them with the current plight of their tv division but I may be wrong about that.

I'm well aware there are no perfect tvs out there but all I want is one that is at least equal in performance to my HX853 but ideally even better as I take the step up to 55 inch. Backlight issues such as clouding, dse, Patching and pooling of light are not acceptable when you are looking at spending £2500 on a tv, it's a premium product and any such issues would be unacceptable to me and would see the tv returned as I view them as faults simply because I have seen so many sets without such issues at the budget end of the market. If i'm buying a premium tv then my expectations of it's performance rise from that of a midrange or budget model and so my tollerance of issues diminishes, surely that's just common sense??

As for Samsung I can say with great certainty that they definately haven't got rid of clouding in their premium LED tvs as far as i'm aware, last years ES8000 and 7000 range suffered from strong clouding as I auditioned both tvs before I settled on the HX853...infact it was so strong that it went beyond clouding and into strong rays of light in the corners which affected picture quality badly. I auditioned them several times at various retailers and never found one without the issue but the Sony HX853 had no such issues and so it will be something I look for very carefully when I audition the new Samsung tvs for this year.

I test backlight issues with a test disc of mine which gives you the chance to fill the screen with one colour at a time, white to test for banding, grey and black to test backlight etc but your suggestion is something I may well try out to see if it's a better test in the future. Right now I have 3 tvs on my audition list: Sony W905, Philips 8008 and Samsung F8000 and none of them will be ruled out until I see them all for myself although I remain sceptical that the Samsung will provide an even screen without backlight issues.

I have real concerns with Panasonic plasmas as I've been bitten badly so many times before and the issues I had have really put me off from going down that road again as I don't want to get caught in the endless cycle of returning faulty tvs, waiting for a replacement, being without a tv for weeks on end etc. I know the VT65 seems to be the tv to buy this year but as a gamer I would be reluctant to use it for either of my consoles which goes against the point of buying a tv in the first place so unless things have improved in that regard I won't be buying one.

I still remain confused but i'm hoping a bit of time spent waiting for all suitable tvs to come onto market along with some thorough research and auditioning will put me on the right track and make my mind up. Thanks very much for your input.

Oldboy's picture

rocketrazor wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that the 805 uses an LG sourced panel, this explains the jump to passive 3D as Sony was always so against passive sets until these suddenly popped onto the radar and represents Sonys first passive 3D tvs. I wish I could remember the article where I got this info from but I do remember seeing that the performance of these tvs was significantly down on last years HX853 range but it would be great to get an opinion from WHF so hopefully they get one in for review soon.

George Doors's picture

Hi Oldboy,

The Philips 55PFL8008S/12 is on exclusive launch to Euronics stores at moment. You can find your local dealer by searching on their website- just give the store a call first to see if they have it on display.

gel's picture

Just noticed this deal:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4847

And you get a free phone!  Not bad!   Cool

rocketrazor's picture

Oldboy wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that the 805 uses an LG sourced panel, this explains the jump to passive 3D as Sony was always so against passive sets until these suddenly popped onto the radar and represents Sonys first passive 3D tvs. I wish I could remember the article where I got this info from but I do remember seeing that the performance of these tvs was significantly down on last years HX853 range but it would be great to get an opinion from WHF so hopefully they get one in for review soon.

an lg panel  :cry: oh dear.  That means its not going to be a gaming tv unless they have made some significant steps forward in that respect. Lg have always been 'lagging' behind. ROFL sorry couldn't help myself

rocketrazor's picture

gel wrote:

Just noticed this deal:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43_51&products_id=4847

And you get a free phone!  Not bad!   Cool

thats the sort of deal I've be looking at, I think JL have it as well if memory serves right.  Just need to know about the lag and a opinion about the picture quality compared to other tvs.  

Oldboy's picture

George Doors wrote:

Hi Oldboy,

The Philips 55PFL8008S/12 is on exclusive launch to Euronics stores at moment. You can find your local dealer by searching on their website- just give the store a call first to see if they have it on display.

That explains the complete lack of stock at every other retailer then, thank you very much for the info.

Pages