Have your say & ask the experts!

Panasonic ZT60 (now ZT65)

691 replies [Last post]
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4314
RE: Panasonic ZT60

gel wrote:

Joe Cox wrote:

Seems like there's only going to be a 60in in UK/Europe. Mentioned in passing at the Panasonic European launch. Will confirm later today. 

Pretty sure I read in this months mag something about a possible GT60?  Is the VT60 going to be 55 inches and above too? 

There's no word on a GT60, though the ST60 series may be re-branded as GT. Panasonic said nothing about a GT series for 2013 at CES.

If the ST series is re-badged, expect screen sizes from 42" upwards. Based on what I've read, the ST60 series won't offer a leap in performance over 2012 models. Hopefully Panasonic have improved the AR filter and/or panel driving technology to rectify problems with 2012 sets. 

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57564297-221/want-a-tv-now-ish-get-...

 

I read a thread where someone claiming to be in contact with Panasonic advised that the ST60 series offers nothing over the ST50 in terms of picture performance (same filter, same panel). I don't normally take much notice of conjecture, so we'll have to wait and see. I can't locate the thread now, unfortunately...

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11599
RE: Panasonic ZT60

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

Joe Cox wrote:

Seems like there's only going to be a 60in in UK/Europe. Mentioned in passing at the Panasonic European launch. Will confirm later today. 

Pretty sure I read in this months mag something about a possible GT60?  Is the VT60 going to be 55 inches and above too? 

There's no word on a GT60, though the ST60 series may be re-branded as GT. Panasonic said nothing about a GT series for 2013 at CES.

If the ST series is re-badged, expect screen sizes from 42" upwards. Based on what I've read, the ST60 series won't offer a leap in performance over 2012 models. Hopefully Panasonic have improved the AR filter and/or panel driving technology to rectify problems with 2012 sets. 

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57564297-221/want-a-tv-now-ish-get-...

 

I read a thread where someone claiming to be in contact with Panasonic advised that the ST60 series offers nothing over the ST50 in terms of picture performance (same filter, same panel). I don't normally take much notice of conjecture, so we'll have to wait and see. I can't locate the thread now, unfortunately...

 

I have read that too!  Perhaps it has something to do with them downsizing on plasmas they have not put much in to this years.  The main jump in quality is suppose to be the ZT60 but only available at 60 inches!  I have read the VT60 is not much better either.

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4314
RE: Panasonic ZT60

Sounds like a good reason to stick with what you've got.

You could find another way to treat yourself, or put the money aside toward an OLED TV further down the line. With several manufacturers investing in the technology, prices may fall sooner than you think; and competition may drive development forward at a pace.

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11599
RE: Panasonic ZT60

strapped for cash wrote:

Sounds like a good reason to stick with what you've got.

You could find another way to treat yourself, or put the money aside toward an OLED TV further down the line. With several manufacturers investing in the technology, prices may fall sooner than you think; and competition may drive development forward at a pace.

 

I am definitely sticking with the GT50, I love it.  I have two living rooms, so would quite like another quality plasma, don't look like it is going to happen though.

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11599
RE: Panasonic ZT60

In this months WHF it says a GT60 may just be around the corner!  I don't understand that comment because then on the look out for bit no mention - strange.

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11599
RE: Panasonic ZT60

£4000 for the ZT60 - ouch!

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4314
RE: Panasonic ZT60

I think the only way there will be a GT60 is if the ST60 is rebranded for the European market. That seems unlikely, though.

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

Joe Cox's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 819
RE: Panasonic ZT60

GT60 confirmed. 42in and 50in. Details to follow. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/whathifi/status/300990125549166592

__________________

Editor, whathifi.com

Twitter TheRealJoeCox

Google+ Joe Cox

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4314
RE: Panasonic ZT60

gel wrote:

£4000 for the ZT60 - ouch!

That's me out (though I don't think I was ever in). Be interesting to see one in action.

I'm waiting for the forum backlash once owners realise it isn't a problem free set. We could start a pool on which problem (or problems) Panasonic plasmas will display this year. I'm voting for screen uniformity issues, as Panasonic has struggled to get this right for the last two years. The ZT60 also uses a new bonded glass panel design that Panasonic may not have perfected yet on a mass produced television. 

Sorry if that sounds cynical. I'd still take problems with Panasonic plasmas over issues with other TVs (at least so far).

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4314
RE: Panasonic ZT60

Joe Cox wrote:

GT60 confirmed. 42in and 50in. Details to follow. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/whathifi/status/300990125549166592

NewsFlash! Thanks Joe.

It looks rather ST60-like. Are we sure this isn't just European branding for the ST60 series?

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11599
RE: Panasonic ZT60

Joe Cox wrote:

GT60 confirmed. 42in and 50in. Details to follow. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/whathifi/status/300990125549166592

 

That is brilliant news!  Great stuff.

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11599
RE: Panasonic ZT60

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

£4000 for the ZT60 - ouch!

That's me out (though I don't think I was ever in). Be interesting to see one in action.

I'm waiting for the forum backlash once owners realise it isn't a problem free set. We could start a pool on which problem (or problems) Panasonic plasmas will display this year. I'm voting for screen uniformity issues, as Panasonic has struggled to get this right for the last two years. The ZT60 also uses a new bonded glass panel design that Panasonic may not have perfected yet on a mass produced television. 

Sorry if that sounds cynical. I'd still take problems with Panasonic plasmas over issues with other TVs (at least so far).

 

I would love to see one in action too.  Think I read only a few dealers will stock them though.

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11599
RE: Panasonic ZT60

So that was an exclusive on the GT60 in this months mag - good work guys.  Cool

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

Andy Clough's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Posts: 5709
RE: Panasonic ZT60

"The company's flagship ZT60 plasma TV has been confirmed for the UK as a 'limited edition' 60in model, with the 65in size shown at CES not set to come to Europe." Clickety

And more details on the new GT60 range in our news story.

__________________

Andy Clough is Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Twitter @AndrewClough

Google+ Andy Clough

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11599
RE: Panasonic ZT60

So the VT60 is available in 50 inches - awesome.  Smile

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.