62 posts / 0 new
Last post
rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/12/2009 - 17:29
Posts: 795
RE:

Well it looks like the IR is gradually going Dance 4

Been running the scarmbled picture and rolling screen for a couple of days now as well as normal TV use and its looking good.  Can only see it now on the basis I know where to look for it rather than just being able to see it.  Hopefully another few days will get rid of it  

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1138
RE:

I'm happy that your IR is gradually going. You must be happy also, to have posted the message thrice! ROFL

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5445
RE:

rocketrazor wrote:

Well it looks like the IR is gradually going Dance 4

Been running the scarmbled picture and rolling screen for a couple of days now as well as normal TV use and its looking good.  Can only see it now on the basis I know where to look for it rather than just being able to see it.  Hopefully another few days will get rid of it  

Did you work out how to do it without the tv turning itself off? Would be useful to know. 

Mine has completely gone now, and I'm being hyper careful to avoid any repeat. Come April, I'll return the settings to those Strapped recommended, really liked them.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE:

Or, you could get it properly calibrated Bernard ?

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5445
RE:

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

 

It doesn't cost anything to be pleasant, old chap Blum 3

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 39 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12971
RE:

No point in calibrating until the TV has been fully run in.

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/12/2009 - 17:29
Posts: 795
RE:

Unfortunately I didn't work it out in the end, I just kept running downstairs and moving something on the remote to stop it turning off!  Even the scrolling bars turned off one day!

What settings did Strapped recommend, can you point me to the post or let me know?  I currently use THX Cinema for films and I've amended Professional 1 to something I found on the web for gaming, but I'm not convinced on it yet

Cheers

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/12/2009 - 17:29
Posts: 795
RE:

Glad your IR is completely gone now as well :cheer:

strapped for cash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 17/08/2009 - 20:56
Posts: 4508
RE:

rocketrazor wrote:

What settings did Strapped recommend, can you point me to the post or let me know?  I currently use THX Cinema for films and I've amended Professional 1 to something I found on the web for gaming, but I'm not convinced on it yet

The white balance and other settings can be found here:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1337671783

Bear in mind, though, that different white balance adjustments are needed for different panels, so you can never be sure that copying settings results in a more accurate picture.

On both GT50s I've owned, the THX preset had a green cast, which may lessen as the panel ages. Plasma televisions typically shift toward red over time. Panasonic has perhaps sought to compensate for this, with long term accuracy in mind. 

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/12/2009 - 17:29
Posts: 795
RE:

strapped for cash wrote:

rocketrazor wrote:

What settings did Strapped recommend, can you point me to the post or let me know?  I currently use THX Cinema for films and I've amended Professional 1 to something I found on the web for gaming, but I'm not convinced on it yet

The white balance and other settings can be found here:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1337671783

Bear in mind, though, that different white balance adjustments are needed for different panels, so you can never be sure that copying settings results in a more accurate picture.

On both GT50s I've owned, the THX preset had a green cast, which may lessen as the panel ages. Plasma televisions typically shift toward red over time. Panasonic has perhaps sought to compensate for this, with long term accuracy in mind. 

Cheers Strapped, the Irony of it all is there the exact same settings from the exact same website I was mentioning in the thread earlier, the ones I'm not to sure on.  Seems Ok for gaming but I looked at a few scenes from Transformers last night and the THX Cinema settings just seemed nicer to watch.  I didn't see the test thing last time though on one of the tabs, I'll be playing aroud this weekend, thats for sure!

mr malarky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: 04/04/2009 - 13:14
Posts: 908
RE: Panasonic 50GT50 Image Retention/Screen Burn

Am reading all this with interest, and a little concern, as have been toying with replacing my KURO for a GT50. Have spent plenty of hours gaming on the KURO over the years, often for extended periods, and never once had an issue with IR. Rocketrazor, has the IR fully dissapeared now?

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 12 hours ago
Joined: 12/12/2009 - 17:29
Posts: 795
RE: Panasonic 50GT50 Image Retention/Screen Burn

mr malarky wrote:

Am reading all this with interest, and a little concern, as have been toying with replacing my KURO for a GT50. Have spent plenty of hours gaming on the KURO over the years, often for extended periods, and never once had an issue with IR. Rocketrazor, has the IR fully dissapeared now?

Hi Mr Malarky, its not gone 100% but is 98% better than it was when it started.  I plan to carry on running the scrolling bar and scrambled picture over the weekend.  Its only on bright screens it can now be seen, such as the scroll bar white and the light green colour that playstion loads with.  Its not noticable now when the TV is being used normally.  I had it on the right side and left side from the same screen in Fifa, right side has gone and the left is just floating there.  I'll keep you posted after the weekend as thats then almost a full week spent trying to get rid of it.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5445
RE: Panasonic 50GT50 Image Retention/Screen Burn

mr malarky wrote:

Am reading all this with interest, and a little concern, as have been toying with replacing my KURO for a GT50. Have spent plenty of hours gaming on the KURO over the years, often for extended periods, and never once had an issue with IR. Rocketrazor, has the IR fully dissapeared now?

I had a Kuro, and I never had any problem at all with IR, though I did buy it 2nd hand, so it had obviously been well run in by then. 

I sold my Kuro for three reasons. Firstly, the 5 year warranty had just run out, secondly, I wanted a smart tv, and finally, I wanted to sell it while it still had some value. With hindsight, after the problems I've had, IR, and DSE, I'm not sure I'd make the same decision.

If you still have some warranty left on your Kuro, I'd definitely stick with it, if you don't , then you have probably got to make a decision.

Is the GT better than the Kuro? In some ways, yes, but in many other ways, no.

The Kuros are better made, have better components, better with motion, better screen uniformity. The KRP and 5090/6090 will be as good at blacks as the GT, the LX508D that I had, wasn't quite as good with blacks, but it still beat it on everything else. 

The truth is, I like my GT, but I loved my Kuro. That's the difference for me.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

mr malarky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: 04/04/2009 - 13:14
Posts: 908
RE: Panasonic 50GT50 Image Retention/Screen Burn

Thanks Bernard, helps to hear from someone who's already made the change. Main reason for thinking if changing is wanting a larger screen (am thinking 55, or maybe even 65 if the wallet will bear the strain!); based on what your saying it wouldn't be worth the change of only going up to 55, if the bank account will handle a change to 65 then still have a dilemma on my hands. Good luck over the weekend rocket razor, let me know how you get on?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments