37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: My Sony KDL46HX853 review

Oldboy,

Have you found any way to improve SD Freeview picture? I have 46hx853 since last weekend. I've tried the settings from the " My Sony Bravia KDL-46HX853 Settings After Calibratio" thread. But, SD image is still quite soft and blurry compare to my old 32" 100Hz CRT Panasonic. After 15-20 minutes watching SD Freeview channels my eyes start burning.

I'm even thinking about returning the TV because of SD upscaling quality.  Do you know if 50st50 would be better with SD sources? Unfortunately, TV shops don't have Freeview connections, they prefer playing blu-ray discs instead.

I wish I could switch off upscaling for Freeview and watch a smaller image with black frame around.

Oldboy's picture

AntA wrote:

Oldboy,

Have you found any way to improve SD Freeview picture? I have 46hx853 since last weekend. I've tried the settings from the " My Sony Bravia KDL-46HX853 Settings After Calibratio" thread. But, SD image is still quite soft and blurry compare to my old 32" 100Hz CRT Panasonic. After 15-20 minutes watching SD Freeview channels my eyes start burning.

I'm even thinking about returning the TV because of SD upscaling quality.  Do you know if 50st50 would be better with SD sources? Unfortunately, TV shops don't have Freeview connections, they prefer playing blu-ray discs instead.

I wish I could switch off upscaling for Freeview and watch a smaller image with black frame around.

I know what you mean about freeview SD pictures...I beleive it's down to the tuner in the tv being a little weak but fortunately I had a Virgin Tivo box installed last week and the difference is night and day stuff. The problem seems to be that with Freeview pictures produced by the tv are output at 576i resolution but my Tivo box outputs all tv channels at 1080p (upscaled, obviously) and that really does make one hell of a difference to picture quality of even the lowest quality channels such as Dave, obviously the quality isn't as good as HD channels but it's a vast improvement over the tvs built in tuner.

There is an option in the tvs menus that should help here though and was something I used for Freeview and that is the Reality Creation option in the picture settings, switch this to Auto and you should see an immediate improvement, the blurry and soft picture quality should clear up immediately BUT only use this option when watching Freeview through the tv so make sure it's off at all other times. With this option switched on and with the calibration settings applied the picture quality should be much better.

Hope that helps and let me know how you get on, oh by the way you can switch the Reality Creation option to Manual if you prefer and play around with the Resolution and Noise Filtering options that open up when you do this to better suit your tastes so have a play around with this feature and it may also be worth adding some more sharpness to the picture settings. I would suggest you make a preset specifically for SD viewing so it's easier to switch between a setting for SD and HD.

DistortedVision's picture

Interesting.....

I watched The Gadget Show Christmas Special from a few weeks ago the 55HX853 was up against a Panasonic and Samsung. The Sony scored the lowest and was described as "disappointing". I find it interesting when there is a review which is the exact opposite of a WHF Award Winner. But then I take Gadget Show reviews with a pinch of salt.  Having demoed the 55HX853 against other TVs I have to agree with WHF.

Surprisingly, they also rip into the iPhone 5 and they have always been Apple fanboys.

f1only's picture

DistortedVision wrote:

Interesting.....

I watched The Gadget Show Christmas Special from a few weeks ago the 55HX853 was up against a Panasonic and Samsung. The Sony scored the lowest and was described as "disappointing". I find it interesting when there is a review which is the exact opposite of a WHF Award Winner. But then I take Gadget Show reviews with a pinch of salt.  Having demoed the 55HX853 against other TVs I have to agree with WHF.

Surprisingly, they also rip into the iPhone 5 and they have always been Apple fanboys.

Funny you should make a comment about that. I posted the fact that none of the TV's seemed to be calibrated or any mention of it on the C5 website & i got an email reply that it was marked as spam... seems they do not like that for some reason.

Speakers - Dali Ikon 6 F L/R, Ikon Vocal 2 Centre, Ikon 1 Surround, B&W 610 Subwoofer.
TV - Calibrated Sony 46 HX853. BDP - Sony mr BDPS790, PS3, PS4.
A/V Amp - Yamaha RXV 1073

Sorry for going off-topic but does anyone else think that The "All New" Gadget Show is pants. It just feels that the whole exercise was a cost saving exercise - getting rid of 3 the presenters one of which was considered one of the main presenters. Also no studio with everything filmed on location. Also what's with the presenters looking off camera when they are giving their opinions like they are being interviewed. The whole thing doesn't work for me.

Anyway, as I said I don't take that much notice of their reviews. In the same episode they had a comparison of smartphones as above - the iPhone 5, HTC One X and a Nokia Lumia but why no Samsung Galaxy S3 which has been the major smartphone release this year???

D3CYPH3R's picture

DistortedVision wrote:

Interesting.....

Gadget show are sponsored by Currys who very much push Samsun in every store i have been in to... coincidence? I also enjoyed the bit where Polly really thinks the VT generates 2500 frames per second....

Oldboy's picture

DistortedVision wrote:

Sorry for going off-topic but does anyone else think that The "All New" Gadget Show is pants. It just feels that the whole exercise was a cost saving exercise - getting rid of 3 the presenters one of which was considered one of the main presenters. Also no studio with everything filmed on location. Also what's with the presenters looking off camera when they are giving their opinions like they are being interviewed. The whole thing doesn't work for me.

Anyway, as I said I don't take that much notice of their reviews. In the same episode they had a comparison of smartphones as above - the iPhone 5, HTC One X and a Nokia Lumia but why no Samsung Galaxy S3 which has been the major smartphone release this year???

Agreed! But then I have always thought it was pants to be fair. Now more than ever though it's just an out and out entertainment show where someone has watched too much Top Gear and thought they can replicate it with tech...it doesn't work. I can't understand why that highly annoying bald bloke on there (jason?? not sure of his name) kept his job when the cull took place, either of the other two male presenters I found much better than him...he's like a 5 year old that's downed two cans of coke and gone all hyper except with him it seems permanent lol.

It's worrying to think anyone takes their reviews seriously though as from what i've seen and read this year it would seem the Gadget Show is the only one that think the HX853 is disappointing and that's just one example, I would never buy any product on recommendation from them and it makes me shudder to think people out there do. If you take the show as a vastly dumbed down version of Top Gear and pay no attention to the reviews then it's just about watchable but the current format of it is still a disaster, the big problem with it is that the presenters have no real likeable personality and the show is laughably uninformed.

The real sad thing is that a show of that nature if handled correctly would be something I would watch but to call it The Gadget Show and then have no real understanding of the gadgets is criminal...they need to change the name of the show to something like Top Tech.

Oldboy's picture

f1only wrote:

DistortedVision wrote:

Interesting.....

Funny you should make a comment about that. I posted the fact that none of the TV's seemed to be calibrated or any mention of it on the C5 website & i got an email reply that it was marked as spam... seems they do not like that for some reason.

I'm not surprised Paul! I don't think anyone involved with the show has ever even looked at the menus let alone calibrated a tv but then I still know far too many people that do the same, pull the tv from the box turn it on and never look at a menu until something goes wrong.

Glad its not just me that finds Jason Bradbury incredibly annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if The Gadget Show got axed after this current series.

Oldboy's picture

DistortedVision wrote:

Glad its not just me that finds Jason Bradbury incredibly annoying. I wouldn't be surprised if The Gadget Show got axed after this current series.

Yep most annoying man on tv for me, along with Jonathan Ross...both of them are just pointless presenters and just annoy the hell out of me. This current format of The Gadget Show can't last surely? I've tried to watch 2 episodes and just found myself doing something else whilst it's on, it just becomes background noise whlist I browse the net or read a magazine or something...time to put the nail in the coffin imo.

mikey2008's picture

I've started watching football regularly over the past couple of weeks (after the new Sky box arrived) and there is definite slight banding when the camera pans on the pitch, which is slightly irritating as the TV is perfect in all other respects. From what I've read elsewhere it seems to be consistent across most of the Model/sizes, so I'm going to live with it. I was actually looking for it as well as a result of other people's comments on various forums, which probably didn't help. 

Oldboy's picture

mikey2008 wrote:

I've started watching football regularly over the past couple of weeks (after the new Sky box arrived) and there is definite slight banding when the camera pans on the pitch, which is slightly irritating as the TV is perfect in all other respects. From what I've read elsewhere it seems to be consistent across most of the Model/sizes, so I'm going to live with it. I was actually looking for it as well as a result of other people's comments on various forums, which probably didn't help. 

Well i'm well aware of banding and what it looks like and can confirm my set has no banding atall even when watching the footie, banding is considered a fault at manufacture so I would be inclined to return the tv for a replacement as any amount of banding is unacceptable to me as there is nothing you can do to eliminate the problem as it's simply an issue with the backlight at manufacture. As you say, it's a real shame as the tv is simply excellent if you get a good example...quality control seems to be an issue with far too many 2012 tvs and i'm sure this is where the problems lay.

mikey2008's picture

I'm not sure if it is banding or DSE. I'm just aware of some slight vertical shadows on fast panning football shots. I can't see it on any other viewing apart from football, so I'm inclined to keep it for the time being.

Oldboy's picture

mikey2008 wrote:
I'm not sure if it is banding or DSE. I'm just aware of some slight vertical shadows on fast panning football shots. I can't see it on any other viewing apart from football, so I'm inclined to keep it for the time being.

It's DSE you are seeing. Mine is the same...some slight patchy dirty areas can be seen on the pitch if it's one shade of green when watching the footie, it's not banding as you see this on a static white screen (I have a test pattern disc that I use to test for this as it has a plain white test pattern) and if banding is present you see vertical dark or grey shaded lines that indicate banding. I've done the test and it's not banding but there is definately some DSE present, strangely, like yourself it only becomes an issue when watching the footie and at all other times it's not a problem...very strange.

mikey2008's picture
RE: My Sony KDL46HX853 review RE: My Sony KDL46HX853 review

Oldboy wrote:

mikey2008 wrote:

It's DSE you are seeing. Mine is the same...some slight patchy dirty areas can be seen on the pitch if it's one shade of green when watching the footie, it's not banding as you see this on a static white screen (I have a test pattern disc that I use to test for this as it has a plain white test pattern) and if banding is present you see vertical dark or grey shaded lines that indicate banding. I've done the test and it's not banding but there is definately some DSE present, strangely, like yourself it only becomes an issue when watching the footie and at all other times it's not a problem...very strange.

Thanks for the clarification Oldboy. I agree that it is a very strange effect.

Pages