66 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oldboy's picture
RE: My Sony Bravia KDL-46HX853 Settings After Calibration

f1only wrote:

How are you getting on Oldboy any better or worse for you?

+1 to Oldboys reply mikey2008 , as i mentioned in my settings post every panel is not created equal. I did have a small amount of backlight bleed in the bottom left & right of the panel but once calibrated properly it has disappeared. These settings given are from my calibrated TV & are probably a good starting point for you to continue from using a calibration disc for your TV using your own specific preferences.

Regards ...

Hello Paul, my sincere apologies for not getting back to you sooner...just kept forgetting to reply with the results of your settings as I seem to have the memory of a goldfish of late lol.

I have indeed used your settings for both 2D and 3D and I must say that the difference made by just adjusting the white balance to your setting was remarkable, whites are now lovely and clean and it's really made a difference to colours too with skin tones now much more lifelike. The only changes I have had to make to your setting is to increase the brightness slightly from 50 to 51 and a slight increase to colour too from 50 to 52 after checking the results against my AVSHD disc.

It's the contrast too which has really changed from my previous setting which has taken a jump from my previous 72 setting to your 87 calibration result, it felt really alien at first and too strong but now I've got used to it I really like it and it gives more insight into dark scenes. I've always struggled to get the contrast setting correct so this is one setting (along with the white balance) that I seriously doubt I would have got correct without your help so many thanks for sending me the results of your calibration it's been very much appreciated.

Even the 3D settings have made things better and really helped with picture quality, as with 2D the white balance has really been remarkable and I'm much happier as it seems to take alot of strain away from 3D viewing with your settings. I've even applied your 2D settings to all my 2D picture modes as it's that good and the results have been great across the board!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time and trouble to send the calibration results to me, you are a top man for doing that :cheers:

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

f1only's picture

Hi Nick, glad to be of help, anything to improve the viewing experience is a bonus.

I found the contrast setting for me over the 709 disc an improvement as you say the Black & white, once the white balance was corrected it's almost a night & day difference - excuse the slight pun there. Reducing the Red bias was also the major factor & i am now very impressed with the quality of picture on this set. A definate improvement on image quality over my old Samsung 40" 656 but then the tech has come on at a pace since 2008 with TVs.

On the Sony BDPS790 Blu-ray player front that i bought with the TV, though the picture is on a par with the old Pioneer i still own, it is not quite as jaggy on panning & fast moving shots. Sound wise i think it just edges it but not by a massive amount & as i never used the PQLS system on the Pioneer BDP320 with a Pioneer amp i dont know if it would be an improvement on it. The only thing that lets the Sony player down is the lack of inbuilt HDD of 1Gb for the Blu-ray live feature, i do have a 16gb pen drive i can plug in to it, if i needed it.

Regards ... Paul

Speakers - Dali Ikon 6 F L/R, Ikon Vocal 2 MK2 Centre, Ikon 1 Surround, B&W 610 Subwoofer. TV - Calibrated Sony 46" HX853. BDP - Sony mr BDPS790, PS3, PS4. A/V Amp - Yamaha RXV 1073

mikey2008's picture

Hi Oldboy and f1only,

Turns out, I was being really stupid with the settings. The main problem was a bleed effect with the BD picture. Had a look at an old thread where someone asked about being unable to change BD picture settings during playback. Oldboy mentioned the sync settings to open the picture options during playback. This is what I hadn't done - I assumed the picture settings were transferable between TV and BD playback, but obviously not. The default backlight setting for playback was 7, which explains everything. I've now switched it to 3 and everything's good. Many thanks lads!

f1only's picture

Hi mikey2008

Sounds good to me glad you are pleased with the TV now.

I have my backlight setting set to 3 for everything, works well for me, the settings as it were out of the box are not brilliant & need just a bit of tweeking to get a good picture without the bleed.

The settings out of the box are set up for shop viewing, which tends to make it brighter due to conditions in most outlets being well lit, so therefore needing the brightness of the higher backlite to make the TV stand out.

Regards ... Paul

Speakers - Dali Ikon 6 F L/R, Ikon Vocal 2 MK2 Centre, Ikon 1 Surround, B&W 610 Subwoofer. TV - Calibrated Sony 46" HX853. BDP - Sony mr BDPS790, PS3, PS4. A/V Amp - Yamaha RXV 1073

mikey2008's picture

Hi Paul,

I understand that the settings are rubbish out of the box, so adjusted them accordingly, within the TV input. What I didn't realise that there were different input settings which weren't transferable. So, TV input settings were different from HDMI2 (blu-ray), etc. Anyway, it was a bit of a stupid assumption. Thanks again.

Mike

f1only's picture

Er no i would'nt call it a stupid assumption, i did exactly the same on my previous TV & wondered why the picture looked like tut on the other HDMI inputs & it was the very same reason you have just experienced. Not the first or the last to do it i would think.

Oldboy's picture

mikey2008 wrote:

Hi Paul,

I understand that the settings are rubbish out of the box, so adjusted them accordingly, within the TV input. What I didn't realise that there were different input settings which weren't transferable. So, TV input settings were different from HDMI2 (blu-ray), etc. Anyway, it was a bit of a stupid assumption. Thanks again.

Mike

More a case of a stupid way of Sony arranging the picture options than it being your fault, every tv I have owned up until this one had the option of carrying calibration over to different inputs but for some unknown reason Sony decided that was far too easy. It took me a little while to work it out myself which is why I quickly posted the issue on these forums, I should have remembered to be fair and suggested you try it... :oops:

Anyway it's good to hear you have it sorted out now so just hope you are happy with the tv and that it gives you years of happy viewing, enjoy!

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

mikey2008's picture

Thanks again guys. Really helpful advice throughout.

muzzer's picture

Hi Guys.

First posting on this forum and I would just like to say thanks for the settings info that has been posted. I have the tv ordered and it is arriving Thursday so the info should have me up and running in no time.

I am currently running a five year old 37inch Panny plasma and I am hoping the Sony will be as good and hopefully a step up from the Panny, the Sony gets plenty of good reviews and I was torn between it and the Panny GT50 plasma but settled for the Sony as it was the best size for my current room.

Hope I have made a good choice.  :pray:

Oldboy's picture

I was torn with the same two tvs and I am absolutely sure I made the right choice now, I'm sure you will be more than happy with the tv when it arrives but just be sure to set it up properly as it needs a bit of tweaking from the settings out of the box...any problems just post on here and I can assure that myself and fellow forum members will be here to help.

Hope you are a happy chappy come thursday and most of all enjoy the tv Smile

Oh and welcome to the forums by the way!

muzzer's picture

I have done a bit of searching today and found another review site that listed these settings after proffesional calibration.

Thought it may be of interest.

Pretty similar to f1 only's settings apart from the backlight.

Viewing mode: Cinema 1

Backlight 7

Contrast 88

Brightness: 50

Color: 50

Hue: 0

Color temperature Warm2

Sharpness 50

Noise reduction Off

Dot noise reduction Off

Reality Creation Off

Smooth gradation Off

Motionflow Clear / Clear Plus

Film mode -Off

Black corrector Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off

Gamma 0

LED Dynamic Control Off

Auto Light Limiter Off

Clear White +1

Live Color +1

Detail Enhancer +1

Edge enhancer Off

R Gain 0

G Gain -6

B Gain -1

R Bias -1

G Bias -3

B Bias -1

Eco On/Off

f1only's picture

The Eco settings should be set to Off as it works against the rest of the settings as far as the backlight is concerned. The backlight is all dependant on your room lighting. In their calibration settings this may have been set at 7 because of the room lighting being very bright. If the TV is set up properly it actually uses less electricity than is stated on the specifications by around 5 watts.

I have one light on in my front room when viewing & it is only a 5 to 6 watt bulb of the newer power saving type so is equivalent to around 30 watts i believe.

My only other comment is Motionflow is set as theirs Clear or Clear Plus only for viewing TV programes & turned off when watching a Blu-ray, although you may need it on for watching DVD & i have watched any yet.

f1only's picture

There was a software update for the 46-HX853 TV yesterday, after which i had to re-adjust settings in general TV viewing mode back to the calibrated settings, it altered one or two of them within the update.

Oldboy's picture

f1only wrote:

There was a software update for the 46-HX853 TV yesterday, after which i had to re-adjust settings in general TV viewing mode back to the calibrated settings, it altered one or two of them within the update.

Interesting...the update changed none of my settings from the calibrated results, what changed for you Paul??

mikey2008's picture

My white balance values all reset to 0.

Pages