Many problems Sony 46W4500
I've bought a Sony KDL46W4500 in the Netherlands.
I'm not satisfied with my 46W4500. I have the feeling that the W4000 was better than the W4500 because there was none of these problems except backlight bleed/clouding (really a big problem with Sony LCD's). The product doesn't correspond to the price. The W4000 had significantly fewer problems. But I had to return it twice by other problems. Problems with my 46W4000's black bars on the screen and the other very poor image quality. Later moved to the W4500 with great expectations.
Clouding problem is really bothering me now. I think the clouding problem will never be solved. For about 100 hours I have already used the TV and I notice no improvement.
1. The backlight is flickering and I can see it on bright images. Looks like a 20-year-old CRT TV. (HDMI or SCART connection backlight level min, 1, 2, 3 and 4) It's also flickering on level 5 ->10 but you have to focus very good on the screen if you want to notice it. I can notice the flickering of the backlight most clearly with ''reduced power'' ON. This is a serious problem! Can anyone confirm that his TV doesn't have flickering on bright images? (Connection: HDMI and SCART)
2. There is noise from back of the TV. Especially if I open a document with a lot of text (by example: word). Then, the high buzzing is really annoying. From 3 meters you can't hear it, but if you are in a very silent room it's a problem. The volume must be on if you don't want to hear buzzing.
3. Clouds and bleed. This is a big problem when I'm in a completely dark room. It seemed to have been resolved, but that was temporary. Maybe it has to do with heat. Who knows?
When I turn on the lights I can see still bad backlight bleed/clouding. I think Sony has just more problems with clouds and that is a fact. (read forums on the internet) The clouds are all over the screen and not only in the corners but also in the middle. (they are everywhere!)
4. When you look from an angle you see terrible backlight bleed (very sloppy). It is very ugly. The light comes from the bottom and goes upwards. On a black screen it is clearly visible. You are required to sit right in front of the TV and otherwise you just have a blurred image. Really a failure IMO.
5. On quick images the TV has smearing. Especially on colors: red, blue, black and grey. Not really a problem for me.
6. I see flashes of white lines on the screen. I have tryed changing my HDMI cable but no difference, still getting random flashes of white lines. It's really annoying me. Today I've seen more then ever. It's becoming worser!! The flashing/blinking lines are everywhere now. (Every 30 - 40 seconds) It's only via HDMI and I see sometimes also flashing lines on SCART.
The problems are getting bigger and bigger.
Recent photos of my clouds. (Purchased: September 25, 200. Assembled in Spain: 08/08/2008
A photo from an angle:
The shop does not want to swap.
(Two TV's exchanged already. That was the W4000.)They want an assessment of Sony about the problem. I think that someone from Sony will come to check if there is a problem with the TV.
Sony says that they only repair and never exchange (is this true?). The shop should exchange itself (according to Sony). It's a battle between the store and Sony. I have already contacted Sony, but they have not called me yet. Bad service of Sony Netherlands.
Sony has a poor service in Holland. They will say that it is no fault but normal.
I paid almost 2000 euro's for this TV and I tought that Sony was almost flawless. Sony was MY brand, but now I don't think so. The store don't want to swap it. (I am too late for returning, because it can only within 2 weeks) Only if Sony says it can't be repaired and give me a confirmation on paper. Then the store will swap it but that's almost impossible. I'm afraid that Sony will never do this. When I wanted to exchange my previous W4000 I called Sony. They said they would come only for repair. It was not possible to exchange or get a confirmation of the defects. Subsequently, after much insistence I exchanged it in the store. The store will never agree for a swap unless I can prove it with a report from Sony.
What can I do now? I'm really disappointed about Sony.
I don't know how I should solve this. Repair is also not useful because it is a new TV. Where should I complain?
Thanks for reading my post.
They can do nothing to solve the problem. Exchange is no longer possible. (really bad customer service, store in the Netherlands named BCC)
I must make an appointment with Sony. They will look for faults. When the TV is defective, I receive a report from Sony with the problems. At first, they shall try to repair the TV. If repair isn't possible.... Sony will send a new 46W4500 to my store and they shall exchange it. The shop don't want to swap unless Sony confirms the clouding is unacceptable. I am afried that Sony will say that the clouding is acceptable.
Because this is already my 3rd TV in a very short time, I think about making rescission of the sale.
Here is a video of my backlight flickering problem: