please help

simonlewis's picture
RE: led 3d tv for £500

Plenty of choice, look here.

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

triflesterms's picture

thanks for the link, i've had a look through the tvs and couldnt find any that are rated by what hifi.not sure where else to look?

simonlewis's picture

The samsung UE40F6100 gets good reviews on amazon, i don't think you will find better than that for £500 with 3D.

formerly known as slewis ---

simon's system

triflesterms's picture

Hi Simon

thanks for the reccomendation, this tv looks ok though i want smart tv as well.

I dont mind paying a bit more if i have to, but i'm on a tight budget.

Cheers

Paul.'s picture

Do you have to buy right now?  You will struggle with your budget right now if you want smart and 3D, but if you can wait untill after Christmas you will find bargains Smile

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

triflesterms's picture

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding, i'm without a tv at the moment so it would have to be now unfortunatly.

As i said i dont mind spending a bit more if i have to, though i'm having a hard time to find anything anything that has 5 stars in what hifi.

Cheers

Paul.'s picture

Paul's system thread

Alantiggger's picture

Lounge :  Samsung PS51E6500, Sony BDP S790, Virgin media XL with HD Sports Channels (BT &Sky),  Yamaha RX-V673.

Tannoy Arena 5.1 with stands.(http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/tannoy-arena-96472/review)

Bedroom: Panasonic PX70 TV and a Sony BDP-370 Blu ray Player & Kitsound Boomdock.  (quite superb for sound)

So far  :)

triflesterms's picture

Thanks for your reccomendations guys

I've had a look at both TV's and they both seem quite good, i'm not sure which one would have the best picture out of the two.

I couldnt find many reviews for the samsung LED.

Negative points for LED ->

• Potential clouding
  • Narrow viewing angles
  • Glossy screen causes reflections  -----  Slightly concerened about the clouding issue, not sure how regular this could be?

Negative points for Plasma ->Slightly sluggish Smart menus at timesPictures not as bright as LCD ones - not sure how much brightness would be lostStandard definition images lose a little colour naturalism  ---- Slightly concerned about how much difference this would make?I would also be wanting this tv for gaming so not sure how much of a difference that makes?I know that both TV's have a motion rate of 600 Mhz.So i guess now i'm not sure which one to go for out of the two or if there are any other options out there that i should consider?Cheers

triflesterms's picture

Thanks for your reccomendations guys

I've had a look at both TV's and they both seem quite good, i'm not sure which one would have the best picture out of the two.

I couldnt find many reviews for the samsung LED.

Negative points for LED ->

Potential clouding

Narrow viewing angles

Glossy screen causes reflections  -----  Slightly concerened about the clouding issue, not sure how regular this could be?

Negative points for Plasma ->

Slightly sluggish Smart menus at times

Pictures not as bright as LCD ones - not sure how much brightness would be lost

Standard definition images lose a little colour naturalism  ---- Slightly concerned about how much difference this would make?

I would also be wanting this tv for gaming so not sure how much of a difference that makes?

I know that both TV's have a motion rate of 600 Mhz.

So i guess now i'm not sure which one to go for out of the two or if there are any other options out there that i should consider?

Cheers

proffski's picture
LCD TV LED BACKLIT.

Did you mean an LCD TV which is backlit by LEDs?

triflesterms's picture

Sorry i forgot to mention that i would be wanting to hang the tv on the wall and have just read that there are issues with the hanging the plasma, as the Tv's rear sticks out a bit.

I'm not to bothered if it sticks out a bit as long as that i can still hang it on the wall.

Cheers

triflesterms's picture

Yes, sorry my mistake.

I've just bee reading that the above plasma isnt to suited to day time viewing, most of my viewing would be on the night though i would still like the option to watch in daytime.

How bad is this tv for day time viewing?

Can you still see the picture?

Cheers

bigboss's picture

Plasma is absolutely fine for daytime viewing, unless you're keeping the TV in direct sunlight. Personally, I prefer plasmas for their natural rendition of colours and inherently better motion control without any artificial processing.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

Paul.'s picture

The 51F5500 has no anti reflective coating what so ever.  it has the same pannel as my Tv (51E6500 from last year) except my TV has a pretty good coating (Real Black Pro according to the marketing fluff) And even with this coating I have to pull the curtains a bit in day time.

Paul's system thread