25 posts / 0 new
Last post
AndrewFG's picture
KDL-46HX853 without Soundbar?
English

Following your glowing review I am considering buying the Sony KDL-46HX853 however there are a couple of things that I don't like about it: namely the soundbar and the backwards tilted panel. Since I have a separate seceiver and speakers, the in built sound is rather un-important for me. And I would like to stand the panel vertical. So my question is whether Sony makes/sells a panel with the same video specifications as the KDL-46HX853 but with a normal mounting foot and no soundbar?

Big Chris's picture
RE: KDL-46HX853 without Soundbar?

You're probably better off getting a wall mount instead if that's a feasible option in your room.

FWIW, I'm with you on the lean back stance. Can't think of any reason why anyone would actually want that.:?

AndrewFG's picture

If one went for a wall mount installation of the KDL-46HX853 presumably one would have to take the soundbar foot off it? Is that an allowed configuration? Or coming back to my original question, is there a model where you can just buy the panel?

Andy Clough's picture

Must admit I rather like the lean back stance, but each to his own. Re the OP, we haven't seen any other type of stand available for the KDL-46HX853 and there's no such option on the Sony website ( clickety). The only other option would be to wall mount it.

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Oldboy's picture

Andrew,

I have recently bought this tv and don't use the soundbar stand as i wall mounted the tv and can confirm that this is an acceptable configuration, the tv then outputs sound through the traditionally thin and weedy built in speakers which i don't use due to having my own home cinema set up.

There is no comparable tv in the Sony range without a soundbar stand i'm afraid, the KDL-46HX753 would be the only other option if wall mounting the tv was not an option for you but in terms of picture quality it's not as good as the 853 with a real difference in contrast levels, the 753 lacks any punch with contrast and seemed to me more washed out when compared to the 853 when i auditioned them.

I beleive the two tvs also have different panels as the 853 has a Gorilla glass outer panel with the 753 having a standard LCD panel finish and of course there are differences in menu options and processing with the 853 carrying the latest version of Sonys Motionflow tech.

If you have the wall space i would advise you get the 46HX853 and wall mount the tv, brackets are not too expensive and you can install it yourself if you have some basic DIY knowledge.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I've had my 46HX853 now since Monday on the soundbar stand.  The tilted angle looks gorgeous when the tv is off but I'd prefer the standard angle for viewing, absolutely.  Any chance sony may bring out something more standard to fit the HX853 range?  I've got a soundbar so need for the inbuilt sound either.

Any chance I could get some guidance on optimum picture settings?  I find the menus a bit bewildering.  The picture though is to die for.  I was wacthing the enquiry epsidoe of the recent Thick of it series on BBCHD and I have to say its probably one of the most stunning HD pictures I've seen 

stevebrock's picture

had my heart set on a Panny ST50 until I walked past the Sony centre and popped in, must say I was quite impressed with the Sony and its got me thinking!

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

Oldboy's picture

Mikey311 wrote:

I've had my 46HX853 now since Monday on the soundbar stand.  The tilted angle looks gorgeous when the tv is off but I'd prefer the standard angle for viewing, absolutely.  Any chance sony may bring out something more standard to fit the HX853 range?  I've got a soundbar so need for the inbuilt sound either.

Any chance I could get some guidance on optimum picture settings?  I find the menus a bit bewildering.  The picture though is to die for.  I was wacthing the enquiry epsidoe of the recent Thick of it series on BBCHD and I have to say its probably one of the most stunning HD pictures I've seen 

There is no sign of a stand on the Sony website so i think the soundbar stand will be the only option unless the ones from the 753 fits but i have no idea if it would or not.

What sort of guidance would you like regarding picture settings? I've calibrated my screen so i can give you some help just let me know what you would like to know, bear in mind though that there will probably be differences between my settings and what you find acceptable due to lighting conditions and variences in manufacture but i can at least give you a good starting point.

I've been through all the menus including all the sub menus within sub menus which are a bit of a pain so just let me know what info you would like.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

AndrewFG's picture

Curioser and curioser. It seems that Sony does offer the KDL-46HX85n series without the soundbar in both Asia and USA -- see these links:

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/kdl-46hx853

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-k2FS1fQosvz/p_15846HX850/Sony-KDL-46HX850.html

Big Chris's picture

The top link you posted looks like the TV still leans back on this stand.:?

I still think a wall bracket is your best bet.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

this sony set uses vesa for it's standard mounting, so samsung's you can use WMN250M >

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/tv-accessories/WMN250M/XC?subsubtype=photo-frame-wall-mount

it's the tv i have and the wall mount i'm using. very nice. don't need to buy additional fixtures or fittings as it comes with various ones.

Oldboy's picture

Yep both of those links show the same stand which still angles the screen backwards o a tilt so still not a solution to your issue, i'm with Big Chris...wall mount the tv, it's quite simple if you buy a decent bracket but don't be tempted to save money and buy a cheap as chips one as it's a false economy. Budget for around £100 for a decent wall mount and this should be plenty.

bigblue235's picture

Big Chris wrote:
FWIW, I'm with you on the lean back stance. Can't think of any reason why anyone would actually want that.:?

It's for people with poncy, low furniture. Like me Smile Even still, I'd rather than stand was adjustable between vertical and leaning back.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision

Double posting in error removed

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I also dont want the soundbar, as I have a small table to mount the tv on and dont want the soundbar overhanging. I much prefer the models available overseas without this.

Question I had though, for anyone who has one, can you have the tv sitting without the sound bar?  I had a look in Currys today and it seemed that the sound bar just floated above a normal mounted stand.  So I am assuming that I could just not use the sound bar, and the tv would stand normally.

Any thoughts on this appreciated, as I love the spec except for the clunky soundbar.

laserman16's picture

I briefly looked at the 853 but the stand has put me off. Could not live with the leanback and the soundbar would overhang my stand which I personally think would look awful, and its the same with the 753 and no way of bringing it up to vertical.

Shame really.

Pages