48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sizzers's picture
RE: Help! Sony 46HX853 or Panasonic TX-PGT50??

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Hello!

good to read all the posts.....thanks for the replies!

to answer one, and ask a few more questions to you all:

size I'm considering is 47' Sony or 50' GT 50...

having always had LCD, is there a 'buzz' from a plasma, is it a big change, and which is brighter with 3D???

oh, and I was lucky enough to see Federer v Ferrer live. Nice!

Reputedly some plasmas buzz, but mine never has.

If you were buying a GT30 last year, for example,  and researching the web you would find: green blobs, fluctuating brightness levels, 50hz bug, buzzing, fan noise…..you’d never buy one! Had mine since March and still perfect with none of the above. Just make sure you buy from a reputable retailer like John Lewis or RS  to cover yourself, though (unlike me, who had to source my end-of-line bargain from Currys!)

For me plasma did take a few days to adjust to, but to my eyes plasma draws you in and LCD shuts you out. Only my opinion of course, but I couldn’t touch an LCD again.

Properly calibrated, brightness isn’t an issue unless you’re viewing in a room with a lot of sunlight then that may be a different issue. Anyway, enjoy whichever way you decide!

Nick_Shepherd's picture

Indeed.

the tv goes in the bedroom (biggest room, square, easy set up of 5.1) so as we'll as movies, we watch tv late at night on low volume....do plasma's make more noise than LCD? How's the 3D for brightness on yours?

Nick_Shepherd's picture

Thanks Sizzers, posts crossed! Think you have answered my questions.....nice work!

I'll go see them and buy from a retailer I can return to if not good for me.....

gel's picture

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Hello!

good to read all the posts.....thanks for the replies!

to answer one, and ask a few more questions to you all:

size I'm considering is 47' Sony or 50' GT 50...

having always had LCD, is there a 'buzz' from a plasma, is it a big change, and which is brighter with 3D???

oh, and I was lucky enough to see Federer v Ferrer live. Nice!

I can answer the buzz bit, all plasmas buzz to an extent, it just depends how much.  As long as you can't hear it when you first power on, you will be fine.  If you hear it then you may want to change it. In 2D the GT50 has a nice bright screen can't comment on 3D.

I would love to see Federer live, nice one.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

Sizzers's picture

gel wrote:

I can answer the buzz bit, all plasmas buzz to an extent, it just depends how much. 

Well I'm not here to contradict you, but mine doesn't! (must be faulty lol)

gel's picture

Sizzers wrote:

gel wrote:

I can answer the buzz bit, all plasmas buzz to an extent, it just depends how much. 

Well I'm not here to contradict you, but mine doesn't! (must be faulty lol)

Laughing  The one I have now is pretty perfect too.  I am being quite picky here.   Smile

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I opted for the GT and receive delivery on Thursday Witt he understanding that I may return and exchange for the Sony and then swap back again. Seven oaks are doing a great deal but it that's been running a while but do check it out. Good luck.

Nick_Shepherd's picture

Good luck src1!

So, the GT50 is out, The Mrs didn't like the frame or the size, so the Sony (she didn't like last time out) is back on!

given this, what is it at 6 degrees tilt (no one else does this) and can it be adjusted straight? I read its for low furniture, but what if you don't have low furniture?

as a side issue, and just for conversation, why are the award winning tv's in this category, not the best looking frames!! The Mrs pointed out all the pretty frames (ES8000, TX-L47DT50, and even the Sony 753 is nicer). And she had a point, the GT50 has a sizeable standard black frame and the Sony's plinth is an acquired taste. What are the best tv's not in the best looking frames?? If the Sony 853 was in any of the other frames, I would have one by now......is it that the manufacture does not know which is their best set before the reviews?

Sizzers's picture

I really don’t like the look of my GT30 either, until I turn it on!

Specifically the way the middle of the bottom of the frame is coloured grey blending in to the black, and the nasty silver edging which surrounds the panel.  The GT50 is a definite improvement to my eyes and although I’ve only briefly seen the Sony, apart from the tilt I think it looks absolutely stunning.

Nick_Shepherd's picture

So what's with the 'tilt' and how tv buying would be easier (for the wives) if the 'winners' each year had the best frames!

I know it's down to taste, but clearly there are better looking sets than the current test winners....will the monolithic design of the Sony be dropped next year and were left with an odd ball of a set...

gel's picture

I like the design of the GT50, you cant get much smarter unless you go for the Samsung's.  But even then I would still go for the Panasonic.  I personally don't think much to the tilt of the Sony.  I was only admiring the design and look of my Panasonic the other day.   Cool

f1only's picture

@ Nick_Shepherd

The plinth as you call it on the Sony 46HX853 is a soundbar which you do not need to attach to the bottom of the tv if you do not require it, it supplements the other speakers in the tv. The tv can be wall mounted or i believe you can buy a different stand for it, i believe there is another thread about a seperate stand for the 46HX853.

Mine is wall mounted & i must admit it is a lot better looking tv without the soundbar attached.

Speakers - Dali Ikon 6 F L/R, Ikon Vocal 2 MK2 Centre, Ikon 1 Surround, B&W 610 Subwoofer. TV - Calibrated Sony 46" HX853. BDP - Sony mr BDPS790, PS3, PS4. A/V Amp - Yamaha RXV 1073

stevebrock's picture

had my GT50 a few weeks now, impressed!

what burn it tips do you have? or just watch lots of Blu Rays?

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

gel's picture

stevebrock wrote:

had my GT50 a few weeks now, impressed!

what burn it tips do you have? or just watch lots of Blu Rays?

Be very careful with image retention!  Sky Sports News can leave marks!  Make sure the pixel orbiter is working at all times.  Be careful with the picture settings while you run it in.  Glad you are enjoying it!  What a TV huh?   Smile

stevebrock's picture

yep great tv and yes I went for 50" not 42"

Michell Gyrodec, RB303, Benz Micro Ace H, Icon Audio ST40 w/KT88s, PS1 Phono, Kudos X2, Rega Apollo R, DAC

Pages