48 posts / 0 new
Last post
gel's picture
RE: Help! Sony 46HX853 or Panasonic TX-PGT50??

The VT50 I have heard is a terrific 3D performer at 55 inches.  Delivering much more brightness and punchier, more natural colours than previous generations.  And this helps with the overall 3D picture.  On the 65 inch VT50 I have heard there is some loss of brightness in 3D, but images remain punchy.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel's picture

One thing I have noticed is that you can see more content on Blu-rays on a 55 inch screen than a 50 inch.  For example in Avatar when Jake is being sent to Pandora he cries a little and on the 55 inch you can see the tear drop, on the 50 inch you can just see he is crying but not the tear drop.  Just little things like that you could look out for.   Wink

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

stevebrock's picture

Only had my GT50 a few days, been using true cinema mode, Blu Rays look fantastic!

I was about to go for an ST50 but had a little niggle then on the day I got it just go a 42" GT50!

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

strapped for cash's picture

Based on what I've read, the GT50 produces a brighter image that the VT in 2D and 3D, probably because the VT has the Infinite Black Ultra filter. I'll have to pay close attention to light output when auditioning the 50GT50 and 55ST50.

Glad you're both enjoying your new televisions!

f1only's picture

gel wrote:

One thing I have noticed is that you can see more content on Blu-rays on a 55 inch screen than a 50 inch.  For example in Avatar when Jake is being sent to Pandora he cries a little and on the 55 inch you can see the tear drop

Funny you mention that, i noticed it today on my tv too Laughing best i have ever seen Avatar (SO FAR). I have only had the tv 1 day & thought i  would use it as a reference Blu-ray after having callibrated the telly. I did seriously consider the Panasonic GT50 range before my purchase of the Sony (I COMPARED THEM SIDE BY SIDE AT JOHN LEWIS IN MILTON KEYNES) & the 3 main things that pursuaded me was VFM, picture quality & the saving on electricity. Ok the picture quality might not be quite as good, but for the difference (NOT A LOT) i am definately very happy.

Speakers - Dali Ikon 6 F L/R, Ikon Vocal 2 Centre, Ikon 1 Surround, B&W 610 Subwoofer.
TV - Calibrated Sony 46 HX853. BDP - Sony mr BDPS790, PS3, PS4.
A/V Amp - Yamaha RXV 1073

Sizzers's picture

gel wrote:

One thing I have noticed is that you can see more content on Blu-rays on a 55 inch screen than a 50 inch.  For example in Avatar when Jake is being sent to Pandora he cries a little and on the 55 inch you can see the tear drop, on the 50 inch you can just see he is crying but not the tear drop.  Just little things like that you could look out for.   Wink

Confused here.

With 1:1 pixel mapping, how can there be more content on a larger sized screen as opposed to a smaller one?

gel's picture

Sizzers wrote:

gel wrote:

Confused here.

With 1:1 pixel mapping, how can there be more content on a larger sized screen as opposed to a smaller one?

Good question - don't know.  But I have heard another person talking about this on AV, and when I watch it on the GT 50, I can see him crying but I don't see the tear drop, on the 55 inch Panasonic I do.  Don't know the answer to the question but it does make me crave a bigger screen a bit.  Mind you I have just been watching the tennis and the picture was amazing.  The blue court against the black where the crowd is stunning.

strapped for cash's picture

gel wrote:

I have just been watching the tennis and the picture was amazing.  The blue court against the black where the crowd is stunning.

I've got tickets for the final on Monday. Really hoping it's Murray vs. Djokovic. Djokovic vs. Federer would be great as well.

Sorry, probably derailing the thread. I had tickets last year for a group match, but after Murray pulled out injured we ended up watching Berdych vs. Tipsarevic. They're both fantastic players, but it felt a bit anticlimactic, really...

Sizzers's picture

I wasn’t querying the PQ of your telly! lol.

With the TV set as follows:-  Aspect Ratio: 16:9; Overscan: Off;  Orbiter: Off, and with the BDP outputting at 1080p resolution, hopefully you can see the point of my question.

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

I have just been watching the tennis and the picture was amazing.  The blue court against the black where the crowd is stunning.

I've got tickets for the final on Monday. Really hoping it's Murray vs. Djokovic. Djokovic vs. Federer would be great as well.

Sorry, probably derailing the thread. I had tickets last year for a group match, but after Murray pulled out injured we ended up watching Berdych vs. Tipsarevic. They're both fantastic players, but it felt a bit anticlimactic, really...

Yeah I really enjoyed the match tonight.  Ah congrats, wow I wouldn't mind having tickets for the final - nice one!  I hope it's Murray for you.  The motion on GT 50 was superb on the tennis, no judder, no noise a very stable and clear picture.  The blacks are amazing!

gel's picture

Sizzers wrote:

I wasn’t querying the PQ of your telly! lol.

With the TV set as follows:-  Aspect Ratio: 16:9; Overscan: Off;  Orbiter: Off, and with the BDP outputting at 1080p resolution, hopefully you can see the point of my question.

Yep I can see what you are saying but I just don't know.  It is something I have only noticed on Avatar, on this one particular clip.  Hopefully someone else can answer it.  It is almost like it has been compressed on a 50 inch TV compared to the 55 inch.

Sizzers's picture

It’s not a problem but I’m just curious.

1:1 pixel mapping should display the full image regardless of screen size but perhaps I’m missing something. Would you still be able to find the link to satisfy my native curiosity?

Nick_Shepherd's picture

Hello!

good to read all the posts.....thanks for the replies!

to answer one, and ask a few more questions to you all:

size I'm considering is 47' Sony or 50' GT 50...

having always had LCD, is there a 'buzz' from a plasma, is it a big change, and which is brighter with 3D???

oh, and I was lucky enough to see Federer v Ferrer live. Nice!

stevebrock's picture

Nick_Shepherd wrote:

Hello!

good to read all the posts.....thanks for the replies!

to answer one, and ask a few more questions to you all:

size I'm considering is 47' Sony or 50' GT 50...

having always had LCD, is there a 'buzz' from a plasma, is it a big change, and which is brighter with 3D???

oh, and I was lucky enough to see Federer v Ferrer live. Nice!

nick

i was lookin at the Sony & Panny, both fantastic tvs i went for the GT50 purely on picture quality and i have not been let down, neither would I of been with the Sony.... personal choice eh!!

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

gel's picture

Sizzers wrote:

It’s not a problem but I’m just curious.

1:1 pixel mapping should display the full image regardless of screen size but perhaps I’m missing something. Would you still be able to find the link to satisfy my native curiosity?

It was on the Panasonic gt50 owners thread on AVForums, problem is that they have about four now I think and they are like 25 pages long.   Smile  It was just a guy saying he was pleased he bought the 50 inch because the only clip he knew of was Avatar where he was crying there was more detail and you can see the tear drop.  On mine you see the tear but then you see it when it has fallen on the Panasonic 55VT30 you can actually see the tear fall from his eye.  It was like wow!  I am still waiting to have a demo on the 55VT50, can't wait.

Pages