38 posts / 0 new
Last post
John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 22993
Google Chromecast

I didn't know where to put this.  But who wouldn't want one of these...?

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8339
RE: Google Chromecast

Just one! At that price i'll be putting one on every TV.

Hurry up and launch them in the UK Google....

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 22993
RE: Google Chromecast

OK, two then.

Clare Newsome's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 04/06/2007 - 12:06
Posts: 13580
RE: Google Chromecast

I got excited about the potential of this and the spare HDMI port on the side of my projector.... until someone pointed out the massive bandwidth involved to stream anything in high-enough def to enjoy it on the big screen.

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

Joe Cox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 11 hours ago
Joined: 31/05/2007 - 10:07
Posts: 1723
RE: Google Chromecast

I'll probably buy one (as and when)... but how much I'd actually use it, I don't know.

Editor, whathifi.com

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 15/04/2008 - 10:17
Posts: 3451
RE: Google Chromecast

If they are HDMI powered can't they be purchased from amazon.com ???

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 15/04/2008 - 10:17
Posts: 3451
RE: Google Chromecast
daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8339
RE: Google Chromecast

simonlewis wrote:

If they are HDMI powered can't they be purchased from amazon.com ???

 

They were available on Amazon US yesterday, but they sold out almost immediately, just as they did on play.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2550
RE: Google Chromecast

At that price I would definately be interested in getting one of these as it would mean I could bypass my Samsung 55F8000 tvs bizarre mirroring option which seems to only favour Samsung devices which is very disappointing indeed and as I've got a Google Nexus 4 phone I would hope the functionality would be great.

Good point made by simonlewis...is there any reason why we couldn't just import one? I can't see it being region specific so must be worth investigating.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2550
RE: Google Chromecast

daveh75 wrote:

simonlewis wrote:

If they are HDMI powered can't they be purchased from amazon.com ???

 

They were available on Amazon US yesterday, but they sold out almost immediately, just as they did on play.

I'm not surprised at that price but I'm sure more will be available soon...hopefully.

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8339
RE: Google Chromecast

Oldboy wrote:

Good point made by simonlewis...is there any reason why we couldn't just import one? I can't see it being region specific so must be worth investigating.

Other than the fact its sold out ATM no. You can (and I often do) buy from Amazon US, DE, FR etc.
Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2550
RE: Google Chromecast

daveh75 wrote:

Oldboy wrote:

Good point made by simonlewis...is there any reason why we couldn't just import one? I can't see it being region specific so must be worth investigating.

Other than the fact its sold out ATM no. You can (and I often do) buy from Amazon US, DE, FR etc.

I buy from Amazon US and DE but I was a little wary there might be some sort of region locking in place for this one but as it's Google I was pretty sure it wouldn't be locked as they don't tend to do this with their products. I will keep an eye on it and perhaps order one for when they are back in for pre order unless a UK release and price are announced soon of course.

They must have sold that allocation on Amazon in record time!

paulyboy233's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 24/11/2008 - 13:51
Posts: 39
RE: Google Chromecast

Although out of stock on Amazon.com, i added one to my 'cart' and went through to purchase, only to be told......

 

Important Message

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player cannot be shipped to the selected address.

 

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12881
RE: Google Chromecast

Oldboy wrote:
I could bypass my Samsung 55F8000 tvs bizarre mirroring option which seems to only favour Samsung devices

You say "bizarre", I say "entirely to be expected".

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2550
RE: Google Chromecast

The_Lhc wrote:

Oldboy wrote:
I could bypass my Samsung 55F8000 tvs bizarre mirroring option which seems to only favour Samsung devices

You say "bizarre", I say "entirely to be expected".

Not at all...it's very much hit and miss as my friends Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5 can do it yet my other friends Galaxy S4 can't and neither can my Google Nexus 4. If it was limited purely to Samsung devices I would agree with you but that's not the case as it's just hit and miss with Samsungs own devices which is bizarre no?

philipjohnwright's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 26/06/2009 - 21:32
Posts: 242
RE: Google Chromecast

It only mirrors stuff from phone/tablet that is being played within Google Chrome doesn't it? So all those dedicated Apps like iPlayer and YouTube are redundant, limiting it's appeal somewhat (to me at least).

Pages

Log in or register to post comments