133 posts / 0 new
Last post
andy_s's picture
RE: TVs and projectors

Hi SAMBAVANMAN,

welcome to the WHF forums and in case you havent already guessed i started off the thread on Sony forums and i hope that soon someone will give us all a positive answer!, i too was waiting for mine when these threads cropped up, certainly made me sick to the stomach worrying about this, the thing i dont get is this- whatever happened to quality control?, surely the guys at Sony are not blind?, and most certainly this is not done in transit!, i say give them free sight test or sack the ones responsible, this should not be happening.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi - no one from Sony has got in touch with me despite them promising that they would get in touch in 24 hours.  Not sure what I should be doing here - can Clare or Joe maybe ask them to contact me again and see if we can at least get some movement on this.

Thanks

andy_s's picture

Indeed, i have tried to goad Sony into a response, even suggested they give their employees free sight tests as clearly their quality control of late is very sub standard, even the team on here cant seem to get a reponse from Sony either, with the exeption of one that Joe Cox from Haymarket Publishing recieved from Sony saying its possibly a standalone issue !, yeah right, even Clare has not responded to this anymore yet, and for WHF to say it was not present on their review set does suggest to me maybe they missed it or they got lucky!!, i was almost prepared to dismiss mine as its very faint but i know its there, till of coarse i found the four searchlights in the corners when the screen fades to black!!. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I was a little miffed to say the least that it took me 3 months to get my hx903 and then they discontinue the model and 2 months later release a new model, , with all these posts about the hx923, i must say that i am very happy with my hx903 Blum 3

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Sony have now acknowledged the problem as discussed here: http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/669237

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Duplication...

andy_s's picture

Sony have done more than acknowledged the problem, theres a re call in place for all this last batch, surprised it was not on the review set here, outstanding review thanks What Hi Fi team despite this small problem it has re instilled my confidence in this TV, will look forward to a replacement fault free set.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Faulty KDL55HX923

i took delivery of a 55" model hx923 today. the issue still exists and it doesn't sound like sony are willing to fix it.

very disappointing really as the set is lovely in all other respects.

i am waiting for final confirmation from my dealer and sony as to whether ANY production process change will be implemented as if they say "yes" then I am willing to keep the set and exchange it when those modified sets are coming through but for now it sounds like no change is being tried/implemented so its either accept it or move on.

given that noone on any other forums either sony's or avforums has received a perfect set it seems i honestly feel the issue was simply missed in the what hifi review. i will conceed that the issue is difficult to spot, so you might say "get a life and enjoy the tv" but when you've shelled out nearly 3K for the TV you expect it to be right not almost right but hey pay list price anyway.

shame really....looks great otherwise

Andy Clough's picture

I have contacted Sony on several occasions about this issue, and after seeing its statement of June 28th on the company's own website, emailed the UK product manager for TV directly.

Unfortunately I have not yet had any response. Given that the issue is now being investigated at the factory, I will again endeavour to get a reply from Sony as soon as I can. Apologies, this is as frustrating for us as it is for you.

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Appreciate your involvment Andy!

Been watching the set tonight and am beginning to feel like a right moaner as it looks superb BUT that's the damn internet for ya.

so many other UK owners returning sets, getting refunds you start to second guess yourself and think "am I a mug for paying out nearly 3000GBP for this and its basically got a design flaw"

the answer you usually come back to is yes. The Sony dealer are also pushing sony for a statement so that I can make a decision one way or the other. If for example Sony said "ok we'll sort it, modified sets available in a month, or two" then i'd be happy to wait and hang on to existing unit under the promise they'd swap it out immediately a modded one was in the UK, no problem.

Sadly noone seems willing to say yeigh or neigh so are you glass half empty or glass half full? the cynic in me is starting to think Sony know what the issue is (they've basically said as much) but have possibly come to the conclusion they'll ride it out and just try harder with next years flagship set.

Honestly if that is their answer that is also fine, no hard feelings Sony, I still like the brand but at least then I can make an informed decision and just send it back for a full refund and then its back to the drawing board for a new TV Sad

Looking forward to any input you can gain....also be really keen to see What HiFi get a 55" HX923 in...you can come borrow mine if you like!!! to see what you make of it. If you beleive the US forums Sony US have apparently told customers the issue is caused by the adhesive on the glass not curing correctly....Sony UK have not denied that but have basically said on their public forum that that is accurate and sony manufacturing is classing it as an "edge artefact" which sounds like code for "defect we cannot be bothered to fix"  Smile

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

@southern

It sounds like your thinking is exactly like mine if you've seen my recent post on the Sony forum and elsewhere.

Surely Sony can't avoid the situation forvever and need to provide some form of public response, even if just via someone like WHF.

"defect we cannot be bothered to fix" is probably pretty much on the money Sad

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

well here's hoping the thought of a mini-what hifi feature on this PR disaster is enough of a prompt to get a response. hopefully Andy can sort that out !!! Smile

andy_s's picture

I have to agree with southernsmoggy in every way, Sony clearly are now trying to sweep this under the carpet, they did however say that the problem was down to a few isolated sets originally and were agreeing replacements, now they are realising the problem is more commonplace and affected more sets both 46" and 55" alike in europe and across the pond this has natuarally spun them into a panic, hence the new label "edge artifact", this is unacceptable and is Sony just looking for a way out!,

i have also spoken to Sony directly and gave them my views on this Adhesive issue which they have forwarded to their tech guys with interest however to impliment it now may be a little late in the game, in my view they'll dismiss on this years current model and impliment it on next years.

i do hope this will not be the case and i hope Sony will understand the importance of putting right their mistakes, they must realise by now its in their best interest to do so.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi As I was the one who originally started this thread I thought I'd give you an update. I have since received two replacements. The first one via the shop had the creases on both sides - a bit worse than the first one. Sony then by this time had taken notice - they never contacted me via What Hi Fi but instead via a response through their website. They said that it was down to a few sets and said they would swap sets out directly. They then started to say that it may in fact be down to edge artefacts. I got my third set via Sony directly - these had seemingly been checked by Sony. I have tried to call them but the contact is out. The new set has little or no crease down the left hand side but has a bad crease down the right hand side. Question is why does it have a crease on one side and not the other. This would tend to suggest that there is a manufacturing fault and that they have not managed to correctly put the TVs together in a consistent manner. For a flagship TV costing around £3,000 on their website I would expect much better than this and not have a problem like glue to be causing such an issue. All advice would be accepted but I would be grateful if Clare or Andy or someone at What Hi Fi could chase Sony for a definitive answer on this.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

i am going to try another replacment, not holding out much hope but the dealer has been excellent so i'll let them try once more. its no real hassle to me as the sony dealer is going to bring the set round and set up side by side with the existing unit. if they are both the same then they are happy to refund my money.

i'd love to know what the sony dealers feel about this when not in front of customers this must be seriously wasting a lot of their time and resources. in this slow trading times they probably cannot believe a premium product (with probably a premium margin) has turned out this way....if i was a sony dealer i'd feel pretty let down by sony.

as an end customer i obviously do feel let down but at least if all else fails i can get my money back and go elsewhere but the dealers are stuck with a model range of TV's that are receiving a universal panning from customers.....lets face it the defacto way to buy expensive consumer purchases today is to "google it" first.....anyone looking at these TV's will easily find the various forum posts.

be very very interested to hear if the What HiFi team can get Sony to make any kind of statement, i'd also love to see the What HiFi team re-test the hx923, specifically the 55" to see what they feel about the issues.

Pages