40 posts / 0 new
Last post
murg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 20/05/2008 - 13:58
Posts: 74
RE: buy another plasma....or wait??

Yes, Its the Pioneer 4280. I agree regarding the future screen sizes but we are not all blessed with football pitch size front rooms.! 42 it has to be unless I got rid of the sofa! I have tried with LED and i`m afraid it`s not for me. Although the advice is to hang on to what ive got I tend to feel that I should grab one of the remaining GT60`s while they are still here. That way I would have a plasma ( and a fabulous PQ IMO) for the next few years instead of waiting for the Kuro to die and then having no choice at all apart from a format that I simply dont like looking at

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1117
RE: buy another plasma....or wait??

Okay Murg, this is what you should do.

 

1. Buy your Panasonic 42GT60.

2. DO NOT sell your Pioneer 4280, but disconnect it and instal the Panasonic instead.

3. Run the Panasonic VERY, VERY gently for the first 200 hours - no TV channels with fixed logos, reduce contrast, etc.

4. After the Panasonic has done 200 hours get BOTH the Panasonic and the Pioneer calibrated, then decide which picture you prefer.

5. If you can put the second-choice television in another room, do so, and put the first-choice television in your living room. If there is no other room that can accommodate the second-choice television, pack it up in the loft or somewhere.

6. If the Panasonic is your first choice, and it runs for at least six months with no problems, then and only then can you consider selling the Pioneer.

 

I say all this because I have the Pioneer 428XD in my bedroom, and I think every night and every morning how good the picture is, now that it has been calibrated. It's not perfect, and here the Panasonic 42GT60 will be better, in that your Pioneer, like mine, is not full HD, it's only HD ready. So pictures on the Panasonic will be sharper than on your Pioneer, I expect.

But you have to wait six months with the Panasonic to ensure that it has no problems, before you think of selling the Pioneer.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 14 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12843
RE: buy another plasma....or wait??

Son_of_SJ wrote:

Okay Murg, this is what you should do.

 

1. Buy your Panasonic 42GT60.

2. DO NOT sell your Pioneer 4280, but disconnect it and instal the Panasonic instead.

3. Run the Panasonic VERY, VERY gently for the first 200 hours - no TV channels with fixed logos, reduce contrast, etc.

4. After the Panasonic has done 200 hours get BOTH the Panasonic and the Pioneer calibrated, then decide which picture you prefer.

5. If you can put the second-choice television in another room, do so, and put the first-choice television in your living room. If there is no other room that can accommodate the second-choice television, pack it up in the loft or somewhere.

6. If the Panasonic is your first choice, and it runs for at least six months with no problems, then and only then can you consider selling the Pioneer.

 

I say all this because I have the Pioneer 428XD in my bedroom, and I think every night and every morning how good the picture is, now that it has been calibrated. It's not perfect, and here the Panasonic 42GT60 will be better, in that your Pioneer, like mine, is not full HD, it's only HD ready. So pictures on the Panasonic will be sharper than on your Pioneer, I expect.

But you have to wait six months with the Panasonic to ensure that it has no problems, before you think of selling the Pioneer.

 

 

Good suggestions, that makes sense to me.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

jacobmorrison's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 06/02/2009 - 13:38
Posts: 87
RE: buy another plasma....or wait??

Son_of_SJ wrote:

Okay Murg, this is what you should do.

 

1. Buy your Panasonic 42GT60.

2. DO NOT sell your Pioneer 4280, but disconnect it and instal the Panasonic instead.

3. Run the Panasonic VERY, VERY gently for the first 200 hours - no TV channels with fixed logos, reduce contrast, etc.

4. After the Panasonic has done 200 hours get BOTH the Panasonic and the Pioneer calibrated, then decide which picture you prefer.

5. If you can put the second-choice television in another room, do so, and put the first-choice television in your living room. If there is no other room that can accommodate the second-choice television, pack it up in the loft or somewhere.

6. If the Panasonic is your first choice, and it runs for at least six months with no problems, then and only then can you consider selling the Pioneer.

 

I say all this because I have the Pioneer 428XD in my bedroom, and I think every night and every morning how good the picture is, now that it has been calibrated. It's not perfect, and here the Panasonic 42GT60 will be better, in that your Pioneer, like mine, is not full HD, it's only HD ready. So pictures on the Panasonic will be sharper than on your Pioneer, I expect.

But you have to wait six months with the Panasonic to ensure that it has no problems, before you think of selling the Pioneer.

 

 

Good advice. Take precautions and don't commit until you're happy. Yes there will be more resolution with the panasonic, but when 720p 42" HD-ready sets were common the advice from various publications including this one was that the advantages of full HD at the typical viewing distances for a 42" were arguable. Only when the screen was larger than 42" did the extra resolution really come into play. Now of course full HD is standard everywhere but the original arguments haven't been invalidated. The black levels for the Panasonic will be slightly deeper too but it's not a world of difference.

 

The pioneer would arguably look better with standard def programming and skyHD due to the Kuro's excellent scaling and lower native resolution of the panel. Plus there's no reason why it won't continue to perform. Mine is 6 years old and the viewing hours count makes it a teenager in man years rather than a pensioner. 

murg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 20/05/2008 - 13:58
Posts: 74
RE: buy another plasma....or wait??

Son of sj,

             you are a wise man indeed!! very good advice and much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone else who has responded to my question. you have helped me to come to a decision

 

 

MrW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 24/08/2012 - 15:03
Posts: 342
RE: buy another plasma....or wait??

murg wrote:

Son of sj,

             you are a wise man indeed!! very good advice and much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone else who has responded to my question. you have helped me to come to a decision

 

 

 

which is...?!

murg's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 20/05/2008 - 13:58
Posts: 74
RE: buy another plasma....or wait??

42gt60  going for an "audition" this morning! they have one left and the panasonic rep has told my local stockist there are no more available as from now

greysunday's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 4 days ago
Joined: 06/11/2011 - 13:55
Posts: 12
RE: buy another plasma....or wait??

I have a similar problem. Was going to buy Sony w900a but I find the limited viewing angles and odd contrast when I auditioned in store a put off. I'm prepared to shell out over £3000 for the Sony X9005a 4K but the price I feel cannot be justified as reviews are going these sets less than excellent reports on non 4k content which is blu ray upscaled at present. If these 4k sets were excellent at up scaling full 1080p content then I'd buy but I trust this mag and cannot justify this price on only 4 stars. So what about the Panasonic TX-P50GT60B now for 2 years until these 4k sets hit the 5 star £2000 mark? Everything over the last 15 years I've bought on careful research via what hifi and I haven't been let down. Yes I'm a Sony fan boy put I'm prepared to jump ship for a couple of years. Really need at least 46" set very soon so any advice would be appreciated 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 14 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12843
RE: buy another plasma....or wait??

greysunday wrote:

I have a similar problem. Was going to buy Sony w900a but I find the limited viewing angles and odd contrast when I auditioned in store a put off. I'm prepared to shell out over £3000 for the Sony X9005a 4K but the price I feel cannot be justified as reviews are going these sets less than excellent reports on non 4k content which is blu ray upscaled at present. If these 4k sets were excellent at up scaling full 1080p content then I'd buy but I trust this mag and cannot justify this price on only 4 stars. So what about the Panasonic TX-P50GT60B now for 2 years until these 4k sets hit the 5 star £2000 mark? Everything over the last 15 years I've bought on careful research via what hifi and I haven't been let down. Yes I'm a Sony fan boy put I'm prepared to jump ship for a couple of years. Really need at least 46" set very soon so any advice would be appreciated 

 

I recommend buying either the GT60 or the VT65.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments